Esposito to the Penguins...unreal

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Exactly. This isn't even comparable to Cherepanov, who really was a steal. There's no transfer agreement necessary to get Esposito to pay for your team - he was passed over 19 times because other teams thought at least 19 other players were better than him, plain and simple. To try and pass this off as some sort of "steal" as of now, five hours after the draft took place, is totally absurd.

But, like I said in the winners/losers topic, it was a pick that makes sense from a Penguins point of view. He has a pretty hefty cushion with Crosby, Malkin and Staal and I don't think getting points will be as much of a problem there as it might've been on another team with a not-so-bright future.

He was touted as the #1 pick in the middle of '06, and not much later than #10 (he was #6 on the Pens Draft Board) in any respected scouting publication right up 'til the draft. Considering that and his upside, it's not surprising that we Pens fans think Shero pulled off a bit of larceny.

Naturally, nothing's etched in stone since the kid's never played an NHL game, but most would concede that a player of Esposito's potential only managed to fall that far because of a snowball effect.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sportsnet/Hockey news Mock:

8. Boston Bruins: Angelo Esposito, C, Quebec (QMJHL)
The Esposito name is magic in Boston and Angelo has the potential to be a star. He was touted to be the top pick going into this season and we will see whether humility propels him to better things.

30. Edmonton Oilers: Kevin Veilleux, C, Victoriaville (QMJHL)

50. Alex Grant, D, Saint John (QMJHL)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070619_102634_4476

For whatever it is worth. The Pens seem to be putting together a well thought of going into the draft value pick effort this time.

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
Why don't you draft a defenseman you idiots. Gonchar isn't exactly the best at playing in his own end.

Go take a look at our prospect list. Our organizational weakness at this moment is unquestionably our offensive. We have defenders (Letang, Gog, Sneep, etc) as well as decent goaltenders (brown / goep.). I'm loving this pick for the Pens and hope it works out.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not that it matters all that much I suppose, but in NHL.com's mock Espo and Veillieux went 10 + 12:

No. 10, Florida -- This deep in the first round, Florida will choose to roll the dice here. There may be a few safer picks still on the board, but the Panthers will be unable to ignore the lure of Angelo Esposito’s unbelievable upside. Yes, Esposito struggled mightily in the second half of the season, but the entire Quebec team was unable to find its top gear this year. When he has been good, Esposito has been spell-binding. Remember, he was the top-rated prospect in Central Scouting’s mid-term rankings. Esposito is the type of player, if he regains his form, who can have an immediate impact on this franchise.

No. 12, Montreal -- Keven Veilleux’s stock fell dramatically in the second half of the season, but he was still considered good enough to represent Canada at the U-18 World Championships this month. That tour of duty ended after two games because of a shoulder injury, but that is unlikely to scare the Canadiens off. They see a big (6-foot-4) center that has the ability, if not the constant inclination, to dominate play. He will be a project for sure, but, perhaps a worthwhile one. Obviously, it also helps Veilleux’s case that he is a native of the province of Quebec and can point to the success enjoyed by Guillaume Latendresse -- a similar player in build and style -- with the Habs this year.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=300544&page=NewsPage&service=page

Meanwhile, Pittsburgh seems determined to be the reincarnation of the Nords, on several levels. I do not think that is such a bad thing. They certainly should have an interest in french canada with the ownership and make up of this team. Mario, Fleury, Crosby, Espo, Veilleux, Oullete, Talbot, Therrien and on and on.

J-D

Feb 27, 2002
the dizzle!
Visit site
WOW!I was hoping for Maxim Mayorov but Angelo Esposito I never even imagined he would drop to the pens. He will be a future star. Wouldn't that be something if we could grab Mayorov,Sweatt,or Goncharov in the 2nd round. I think Mayorov will get taken early in the second.

1980's Oilers Penguins
GRETZKY CROSBY
KURRI MALKIN
MESSIER STAAL
ANDERSON ESPOSITO
FUHR FLEURY
COFFEY LETANG
LOWE WHITNEY

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

You must severely underrate the potential of the player who will don the jersey for the great franchise of the Pittsburgh Penguins, to rate them on the lowly level of the Oilers dynasty... Jesus lord...

stazza18

Jul 14, 2005
Jagr, Naslund, Straka, Morozov, Orpik, Whitney, Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, Armstrong, and Esposito.
Since 1990, only 6 Pens first rounders didn't pan out (and among these 6, one was due to an illness), regardless of where the Pens pick (high or low). They usually drafted late, but still got good talent.
The 6 that didn't man out feature some big talents too (Kraft, Dome) and then guys that simply busted (Koltsov, Wells, Hillier) and Bergkvist (illness).

If I recall, Shero had nothing to do with those drafts and how many of those above where high picks, heck a monkey could've made those. Do you really think that the Steelers don't draft better? (I can't believe I'm sticking up for the Steelers right now, lol) My point is, if he would've said shown the Pirates how to draft, yeah he can go there. But not the Steelers.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Theres a reason he was passed up by so many teams, but I think going to a young and talented team like Pitt will really help him develop.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I'm in no position to doubt that assessment.

I do know this:

He will not be able to do same on an NHL team that possesses personalities like Gary Roberts, Mark Recchi, not to mention Sidney Crosby. And a demanding coach.

Peer pressure. That is why winning atmospheres matter (and why winning breeds more winning).

Esposito will either play hard in all areas of the ice....or he will not play.

A green "phenom" might have been able to float on prior, poor Pens teams. Not a 105 point Cup contender.

What makes Esposito such a great pick IMO for Pittsburgh is Mario's presence there. While Crosby surely benefitted from the guidance Mario gave him - he likely didn't even really need it since he is internally driven to a massive degree. But still it had to help. Spezza talked alot about how important being around Mario this offseason was to him.

Just like Gretzky, I think, helped Mario take full use of his great talent during the 1987 Canada Cup, and Mario in turn seems to have tutured Crosby, Mario could be huge in helping Esposito develop.

With Mario helping Esposito get the best use of his talents and understanding what it is like to be a phenom then Esposito it is a godsend for Esposito.

The Pens are so deep in talent Esposito doesn't need to be rushed and it was the 20th pick and the Pens are so full of young talent that if Esposito is a flop it isn't a big deal. Maybe Esposito isn't in the NHL for 3 seasons. Taking the slower road like Spezza did.

Even if Esposito is never a superstar or even a star he could be a very good player and the Pens picking him is so good for him. If he doesn't work out on the Pens he likely doesn't work out for any team.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Esposito is a good fit for Pittsburgh. He won't be the center of attention here by a long shot, and he can take his time and develop. I think he'll benefit from being around the nice mix of (very) young guys and veterans that we have as well.

If I recall, Shero had nothing to do with those drafts and how many of those above where high picks, heck a monkey could've made those. Do you really think that the Steelers don't draft better? (I can't believe I'm sticking up for the Steelers right now, lol) My point is, if he would've said shown the Pirates how to draft, yeah he can go there. But not the Steelers.

Agreed. I'd go so far as to say that the Steelers are among the most successful drafting teams in any professional league. Rarely do they end up with a bust.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
pens are thin on talented wingers, and espo could fit that bill.

Esposito, who played at Quebec under former NHL all-star goaltender Patrick Roy, is a center. However, with Crosby, Malkin and Staal manning that position with the Penguins, Esposito has no problems playing on the wing.

“No, not at all. It’s going to be a challenge for me. We’ll see what happens in training camp. I can’t look too far ahead,†he said. “This year, Patrick put me on the wing for about a month and a half, just to make sure I adapted to playing there.â€

i think in one or two years we'll see crosby-espo and malkin-staal combos.

Raoul Duke*

WOW!I was hoping for Maxim Mayorov but Angelo Esposito I never even imagined he would drop to the pens. He will be a future star. Wouldn't that be something if we could grab Mayorov,Sweatt,or Goncharov in the 2nd round. I think Mayorov will get taken early in the second.

1980's Oilers Penguins
GRETZKY CROSBY
KURRI MALKIN
MESSIER STAAL
ANDERSON ESPOSITO
FUHR FLEURY
COFFEY LETANG
LOWE WHITNEY

Stupidest post of the year. Yeah, Kris Letang is on the level of Paul Coffey, not to mention the others... :shakehead

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Hey Mark Messier and Wayne Gretzky said it themselves. The Pittsburgh Penguins reminded them of the young Edmonton Oilers. It's nice to dream. But this team is looking like something special.

No doubt this team is lining up nicely.

However - and this is just me - the comparisons between the two teams will start once the Pens win Five Cups.

Likewise, the individual side-by-side comparisons are preposterous at this point. Heck, why not compare some 10 year old in Quebec to Mario while we're at it? ;)

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
No doubt this team is lining up nicely.

However - and this is just me - the comparisons between the two teams will start once the Pens win Five Cups.

Likewise, the individual side-by-side comparisons are preposterous at this point. Heck, why not compare some 10 year old in Quebec to Mario while we're at it? ;)

It would be Ok with me if these comparisons start when the Pens won 3. ;)

habitue*

Sometimes, we used the acronym BAP - best available player.

In the case od Esposito and Cherepanov, it is BAT - best available team.

Both are gonna thrive with their respective team.

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
I think so, too. While their actual draft position might be disappointing the teams they ended up won`t. Pretty ideal for both their respective development.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
When they drafted Esposito and Veilleux my heart started beating fast... yes im scared of the pens in the years to come... But i see them having some cap problems trying to keep these players

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I second that emotion. After Turris Espo was the guy I wanted for my Nucks. so close yet so far.
Question, *** are the Pens going to do with all those centremen? I bet someone gets moved in a super duper block buster. Staal for Zherdev anyone?

Shy.

Please don't suggest this - even in jest.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
What makes Esposito such a great pick IMO for Pittsburgh is Mario's presence there. While Crosby surely benefitted from the guidance Mario gave him - he likely didn't even really need it since he is internally driven to a massive degree. But still it had to help. Spezza talked alot about how important being around Mario this offseason was to him.

Just like Gretzky, I think, helped Mario take full use of his great talent during the 1987 Canada Cup, and Mario in turn seems to have tutured Crosby, Mario could be huge in helping Esposito develop.

With Mario helping Esposito get the best use of his talents and understanding what it is like to be a phenom then Esposito it is a godsend for Esposito.

The Pens are so deep in talent Esposito doesn't need to be rushed and it was the 20th pick and the Pens are so full of young talent that if Esposito is a flop it isn't a big deal. Maybe Esposito isn't in the NHL for 3 seasons. Taking the slower road like Spezza did.

Even if Esposito is never a superstar or even a star he could be a very good player and the Pens picking him is so good for him. If he doesn't work out on the Pens he likely doesn't work out for any team.

Just curious, did you read this in an article or was it on a tv interview? If you remember where you found that could you direct me towards it please, I'm interested in what he had to say. I never realized they worked together.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
The Pens will be a sick sick team for the next decade, but IMO Esposito will not be that big a player for them. Just my opinion, but when the Pens drafted Malkin, Staal, and Crosby, I was sure they would be huge additions. I'm equally of the opinion that Esposito will not.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I second that emotion. After Turris Espo was the guy I wanted for my Nucks. so close yet so far.
Question, *** are the Pens going to do with all those centremen? I bet someone gets moved in a super duper block buster. Staal for Zherdev anyone?

Shy.

I think it's more likely that they try to convert two of them to wing, Esposito and either Malkin or Staal. Shero has said that his primary objective is to keep our core players together and Crosby has indicated that he's willing to take less salary to do it, so I'm thinking it'll be several years before the Pens have to worry about putting someone on the trading block, unless the deal is much too good to pass up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad