ESPN signs 7 year deal with the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
If you visit ESPN regularly, why haven't you customized it? Mine looks like this, everything through Golf I've put in that order, while sports I haven't chosen to follow, NBA and lower, are random.

View attachment 454382

That said I'm partial to the CBS Sports app, it's easily the simplest and best visually.
stupid question but how do you customize it? lol

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
stupid question but how do you customize it? lol
Haha, fair question.

If you have an account, you can scroll over the 3 dots and then this drops down with the option.

upload_2021-7-21_11-9-58.png

Reactions: TorontoSports

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
Based on ESPN's pathetic amateur production of the Kraken's expansion draft, I recommend that ESPN start using Zoom. Zoom via cell phone would be a much better and less complicated platform for ESPN to use than the embarrassing train wreck I saw and heard (or not heard) yesterday.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Based on ESPN's pathetic amateur production of the Kraken's expansion draft, I recommend that ESPN start using Zoom. Zoom via cell phone would be a much better and less complicated platform for ESPN to use than the embarrassing train wreck I saw and heard (or not heard) yesterday.

NHL produced the Expansion draft, Fowler is a hockey fan he owned up to the Hurricanes/Panthers mistake when Hurricanes tweeted about it. If you have problem with that broadcast blame that on the NHL.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
NHL produced the Expansion draft, Fowler is a hockey fan he owned up to the Hurricanes/Panthers mistake when Hurricanes tweeted about it. If you have problem with that broadcast blame that on the NHL.

People are going to complain either way - I didn't think it was too bad - I wish the players would show more personality (like Tanev did) but that's a whole other issue.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Fowler struggled. You could tell he was someone who parachuted in and hadn’t covered the league.

That said as others have pointed out that was an NHL production. Like the draft lottery or the All-Star draft (when they had that event). ESPN just loaned Fowler out and aired the the thing.

MrMars

May 26, 2006
The reports said it ESPN+ will include all the games. Technically speaking ESPN+ already includes all the out of market games, and it would still include all the out of market games if they are (outside the exclusive slate) out on a higher tier within ESPN+.

This is an area where Disney has always kind of intentionally muddied the waters. So something being lost in translation (especially by reporters who already didn’t know/realize that Disney already controlled NHL.tv) would not be surprising.

Bettman also made a statement about no changes to Center Ice. My question is why would anyone subscribe to Center Ice when you can get the exact same thing for $7-8 a month? Unless most of the out of market gets placed on that additional tier.

You will almost certainly not be able to get what was NHL.tv without and ESPN+ subscription. Whether or not what was NHL.tv will be an additional tier within ESPN+ is an open question still. I hope the reports are accurate, I’m just not 100% sure.

Believe it or not they are some people who just prefer linear TV and don’t wanna stream sports or just don’t know how too / bad internet etc.

Tons of people pay significantly more money for MLB Extra Innings even though MLB.TV is a decent amount cheaper. MLS package still sells on Cable / Satellite and that’s included with ESPN+

I know someone who still pays $50 a month for WWE PPVs even though they are on Peacock for $5/month. Had issues with streaming issues a couple times and to be blunt makes enough money he doesn’t care. Will be the same with Center Ice, will be a market for it, just smaller.

As someone with multiple TVs setup I will most likely just be lazy and order it on DirecTV for the house, even though I already have ESPN+, believe is a streaming limit which would prevent all TVs from having hockey on, but am a pretty big hockey fan.

Plus a ton of bars have Center Ice so DirecTV/Cable is unlikely to drop it. Profit margin very high on those sales.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Believe it or not they are some people who just prefer linear TV and don’t wanna stream sports or just don’t know how too / bad internet etc.

Tons of people pay significantly more money for MLB Extra Innings even though MLB.TV is a decent amount cheaper. MLS package still sells on Cable / Satellite and that’s included with ESPN+

I know someone who still pays $50 a month for WWE PPVs even though they are on Peacock for $5/month. Had issues with streaming issues a couple times and to be blunt makes enough money he doesn’t care. Will be the same with Center Ice, will be a market for it, just smaller.

As someone with multiple TVs setup I will most likely just be lazy and order it on DirecTV for the house, even though I already have ESPN+, believe is a streaming limit which would prevent all TVs from having hockey on, but am a pretty big hockey fan.

Plus a ton of bars have Center Ice so DirecTV/Cable is unlikely to drop it. Profit margin very high on those sales.
Having DirecTV now for some time - I'm ready to cut the cord - just waiting until I have a better idea as to how the whole ESPN+/Disney (along with what was NHLTV) will play out.

As I posted numerous times - their wording seems pretty vague as to what's included with their monthly fee.

Reaser

May 19, 2021

Similar situation. Have 3 TV's side-by-side, in addition to my cpu monitor as a 4th screen.

Then there's quality. ESPN+ NHL games last year were worse quality than 'illegal' streams, which are both worse quality than watching on TV via DirecTV w/Center Ice. It's not really even close.

If I could watch every NFL, CFB and NHL game on all 4 screens in generally same quality and ability to pause/rw/record, quickly change channel, etc, then streaming only would be an option. It's not even close to being there and I doubt it will be anytime soon since streaming is more or less an add-on as opposed to a replacement for sports fans that .. watch sports.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

The broadcast was actually quite good IMO. Feels like everyone here (HF and other hardcore hockey circles) were just ready to pounce on ESPN and went looking for excuses. I didn't enjoy the personalities, especially Ron Francis. But after some early wireless mic hiccups (extremely common on live tv), the technical broadcast side of things was very good, better than what NBC was doing and vastly superior to what the OLN/VS/NBC era started out as. Picture and sound quality were good, set design was nice, the concept fit. The negatives of the day were all on the Kraken and NHL side of things, not ESPN.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
That's dumb lots of older folks in Washington state only have cable. Seattle's first home game as well unbelievable.

They are playing Vancouver so they should get it from CBC if they get that on their cable from across the border.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The broadcast was actually quite good IMO. Feels like everyone here (HF and other hardcore hockey circles) were just ready to pounce on ESPN and went looking for excuses. I didn't enjoy the personalities, especially Ron Francis. But after some early wireless mic hiccups (extremely common on live tv), the technical broadcast side of things was very good, better than what NBC was doing and vastly superior to what the OLN/VS/NBC era started out as. Picture and sound quality were good, set design was nice, the concept fit. The negatives of the day were all on the Kraken and NHL side of things, not ESPN.

The event last night was produced by the NHL itself and not ESPN. Same as the league has previously done with the draft lottery, awards show and All-Star Draft (back in the day).

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Similar situation. Have 3 TV's side-by-side, in addition to my cpu monitor as a 4th screen.

Then there's quality. ESPN+ NHL games last year were worse quality than 'illegal' streams, which are both worse quality than watching on TV via DirecTV w/Center Ice. It's not really even close.

If I could watch every NFL, CFB and NHL game on all 4 screens in generally same quality and ability to pause/rw/record, quickly change channel, etc, then streaming only would be an option. It's not even close to being there and I doubt it will be anytime soon since streaming is more or less an add-on as opposed to a replacement for sports fans that .. watch sports.
And this is a concern of mine as well.

I have no complaints with what I have had with DirecTV/NHL Center Ice hooked up to my two 1080p HDTVs but I have read here that many have had picture quality issues with streaming.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
And this is a concern of mine as well.

I have no complaints with what I have had with DirecTV/NHL Center Ice hooked up to my two 1080p HDTVs but I have read here that many have had picture quality issues with streaming.

Picture quality is one of my main concerns. ESPN+ so far only streams at 720p. NHL.tv definitely moved up to 1080 either last year or the year before. With a fancy new TV and a new Roku, the difference in picture quality between NHL.tv and the games I tested out on ESPN+ was pretty stark. The NHL.tv picture was strikingly good. It would be pretty frustrating to go backwards in this regard.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Why didn't you like Ron Francis and others' appearance? Not much personality or pep with Francis or others?

Or maybe that's how many GMs would act in all sports

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Picture quality is one of my main concerns. ESPN+ so far only streams at 720p. NHL.tv definitely moved up to 1080 either last year or the year before. With a fancy new TV and a new Roku, the difference in picture quality between NHL.tv and the games I tested out on ESPN+ was pretty stark. The NHL.tv picture was strikingly good. It would be pretty frustrating to go backwards in this regard.

The picture quality should be fine as someone who's also a MLS fan the game quality is crystal clear for the MLS game in full HD. I'm guessing now that NHL has a full deal with ESPN they'll upgrade or work on any picture quality issues i.e upgrade the streaming quality in house vs just taking the local feed and slapping it on TV. You'll notice the interlacing pic quality will first come in a bit blurry for a sec or two then upgrades to full HD. This happens with MLS games on ESPN+ whenever your switch from game to game. Hope that instills some confidence, I think you guys will learn to love ESPN+ its good shit.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
The picture quality should be fine as someone who's also a MLS fan the game quality is crystal clear for the MLS game in full HD. I'm guessing now that NHL has a full deal with ESPN they'll upgrade or work on any picture quality issues i.e upgrade the streaming quality in house vs just taking the local feed and slapping it on TV. You'll notice the interlacing pic quality will first come in a bit blurry for a sec or two then upgrades to full HD. This happens with MLS games on ESPN+ whenever your switch from game to game. Hope that instills some confidence, I think you guys will learn to love ESPN+ its good shit.

How many MLS games do they have on ESPN+?

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
How many MLS games do they have on ESPN+?
About 400+ but I think that number could go down to around 300+ in the new deal as MLS will likely add another broadcast partner into the fray and put some games on another networks streaming service CBS is said to be interested. Sources believe the ESPN deal has been done behind the scenes and all but announced found this buried gem of info online. Details start at 52 min mark when Philadelphia Inquirer Sports journalist Johnathan Tannenwald comes on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad