ESPN signs 7 year deal with the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I'm surprised the NHL hasn't named the other part of this deal yet. If it is NBC, I would think the Draft would be on NBCSN/Peacock.

See the Split Deals thread. Still a lot of negotiation and unknowns.

NBCSN should still have Round One of the draft this year, regardless. It is considered part of the current season (and TV rights). I am guessing the Expansion Draft and Awards will be in NBCSN as well?

Rounds 2-7 typically air on the NHL Network.

It’s all of the 2022 summer events that will go to the next contract.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
See the Split Deals thread. Still a lot of negotiation and unknowns.

NBCSN should still have Round One of the draft this year, regardless. It is considered part of the current season (and TV rights). I am guessing the Expansion Draft and Awards will be in NBCSN as well?

Rounds 2-7 typically air on the NHL Network.

It’s all of the 2022 summer events that will go to the next contract.
depends on when the current season ends.... though.... if the contract expires after the SCF, as expected it might, NBCSN doesn't exist in 2022..... if the NHL Draft goes to Disney.... the Draft is considered part of the new league year.... typically in July, in and around Free Agent Frenzy....

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
depends on when the current season ends.... though.... if the contract expires after the SCF, as expected it might, NBCSN doesn't exist in 2022..... if the NHL Draft goes to Disney.... the Draft is considered part of the new league year.... typically in July, in and around Free Agent Frenzy....

The draft is part of the expiring league year with the immediate preceding Stanley Cup playoff. NBC has the draft rights for 2021.

Reactions: Spydey629

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The draft is part of the expiring league year with the immediate preceding Stanley Cup playoff. NBC has the draft rights for 2021.
they may not though, it depends on who gets the B Package..... and Disney dropped all coverage in 2004, nevermind the labor dispute that wiped out 2005, because there was no draft.... it was a lottery

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
they may not though, it depends on who gets the B Package..... and Disney dropped all coverage in 2004, nevermind the labor dispute that wiped out 2005, because there was no draft.... it was a lottery

Do you ever fact check yourself?

2005 definitely had a draft. 2005 NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia

I think he means that ESPN did not air the 05 Draft on their network. I remember MSG Network here in NYC aired it.

The biggest difference, however, was the lack of national television coverage in the United States. The lockout and subsequent decrease in interest, along with dwindling ratings during the tail end of the “Dead Puck Era” convinced mega sports provider ESPN to decline a $60-million option that would have seen it air games during the 2005-06 season. As big a name as Crosby was becoming, ESPN had already lost interest in not only the NHL, but the NHL draft as well. Therefore, only a handful of regional U.S. cable networks would be airing the event live.

NHL Draft: Rewind to 2005, the last time the draft was postponed

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019

ESPN will have a weekly show on ESPN or ESPN 2 all season and playoffs

ESPN+ games will have a post game show

ESPN looking to hire a breaking news guy similar to Schefter for the NFL and Woj in NBA

Why don’t they just use The TSN guys?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
2 questions I'm not understanding.

What is Hulus place in this? Are they airing seperate games independent of ESPN+?

Secondly for those of us that do not have cable can we still stream those games (that are reserved for cable)?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
2 questions I'm not understanding.

What is Hulus place in this? Are they airing seperate games independent of ESPN+?

Secondly for those of us that do not have cable can we still stream those games (that are reserved for cable)?

There 75 games that will be exclusive to Hulu and ESPN+. Those games will air on both platforms.

I don’t believe games that are on cable ESPN will be available on ESPN+ for non-cable subscribers. Although the Final (when ABC has it) will be available on both ABC and espn+.

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
There 75 games that will be exclusive to Hulu and ESPN+. Those games will air on both platforms.

I don’t believe games that are on cable ESPN will be available on ESPN+ for non-cable subscribers. Although the Final (when ABC has it) will be available on both ABC and espn+.

Thanks, you think if say one subscribed to something like YouTube tv (or sling)which carry all the ESPN and ABc channels that, that would cover it?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Thanks, you think if say one subscribed to something like YouTube tv (or sling)which carry all the ESPN and ABc channels that, that would cover it?

Yes if you are subscribe to YouTubetv or Sling and you get espn part of that you will get the ESPN games. Those services are basically cable.

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
So I tested Hulu espn+ tonight, the games are not on HD. So I'm assuming Hulu is just going to be something extra for Hulu users but on SD (unless they change it Next year). Espn+ better be in HD:laugh:

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
So I tested Hulu espn+ tonight, the games are not on HD. So I'm assuming Hulu is just going to be something extra for Hulu users but on SD (unless they change it Next year). Espn+ better be in HD:laugh:

ESPN+ by itself is, as long as the broadcast they are picking up is, at least. I can't speak to some of the random collegiate sports from a few far-flung conferences that are buried down the viewing list.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
ESPN+ by itself is, as long as the broadcast they are picking up is, at least. I can't speak to some of the random collegiate sports from a few far-flung conferences that are buried down the viewing list.

So is NHL Tv just going to turn into espn+ is what I'm reading here?

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country

You wouldn't get the 75 games that air on Hulu/ESPN+ on YouTube TV or Slingtv.

So some markets are losing 8 games so in market 74 out of 82 games will air on regular TV. Some fans will be upset.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
You wouldn't get the 75 games that air on Hulu/ESPN+ on YouTube TV or Slingtv.

So some markets are losing 8 games so in market 74 out of 82 games will air on regular TV. Some fans will be upset.

I'm lucky because I'm a Pens fan (from PA) that just moved to the Tampa area so, guess that won't affect me, feel bad for folks back home.

I think that's what you are implying that if your team is out of market that you're ok.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
But games that aren't available on ESPN+ is what I'm interested in figuring out. I guess. So since im in the Tampa Market, when Pens play the Lightning..im stuck unless I try to find a way. Games that are broadcast on ABC and Espn (if I want to watch it) same thing is what I'm understanding

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I'm lucky because I'm a Pens fan (from PA) that just moved to the Tampa area so, guess that won't affect me, feel bad for folks back home.

I think that's what you are implying that if your team is out of market that you're ok.

The only way to watch those 75 games anywhere will be on HULU/ESPN+ in or out of market.

Example. Boston at Florida So this year games not on NBCSN/NBC are on FOX SPORTS SOUTH for Panthers area and NESN for Bruins area. (local RSNs). Basically all 82 games available on local TV OR if out of market in NHLTV/NHL CENTRE ICE.

Next year, There will be 75 games only on ESPN+/HULU not on local channels for in market, not in NHLCI for out of market. Up to 8 games per team.

**FYI, In market means the markets of both teams playing, not just home market.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
The only way to watch those 75 games anywhere will be on HULU/ESPN+ in or out of market.

Example. Boston at Florida So this year games not on NBCSN/NBC are on FOX SPORTS SOUTH for Panthers area and NESN for Bruins area. (local RSNs). Basically all 82 games available on local TV OR if out of market in NHLTV/NHL CENTRE ICE.

Next year, There will be 75 games only on ESPN+/HULU not on local channels for in market, not in NHLCI for out of market. Up to 8 games per team.

**FYI, In market means the markets of both teams playing, not just home market.

Here’s where I get confused. I thought teams were limited to 12 nationally televised games (not 8).

Or is 8 a new max, for the amount to times a team can be only available through streaming?

Finally, what is the total number of National exclusive games a team can have on both national carriers? Or do we not know this yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad