ESPN: Mount "Puckmore" for All 31 Franchises

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I don't like seeing McDavid up there (yet) for the oilers - ahead of HHOF players Paul Coffey, Glen Anderson, and Grant Fuhr. In 20 years, I'll probably feel differently. But he hasn't "earned" it yet.

Some other (random) thoughts:

-I'm not a Flames fan, but I'd probably pick Kipper or even Joe Nieuwendyk before Vernon.

-Not sold on Roy ahead of Dryden for the habs either. What do Canadiens fans say?

-Nabokov? Really? I mean, I know he was San Jose's starter for a long time, but surely there's somebody more deserving out there?!

-Wait, where's Esposito on the Bruins?

The bolded regarding McDavid jumped out to me as well and I agree with your thoughts.

For Colorado, it is hard to argue for anyone else other than Roy-Sakic-Forsberg-Foote.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Esposito on the B's... Elias on the Devils?

You can just have Sedin for the Vancouver one. Kind of cheating but whatever.

Last edited:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Most sports reporting is meant to be consumed at the moment I see no reason after years one can't go back to that well.

Sure but what I'm saying is it really hasn't been that long... how many of these would have changed in that time? The kings? One or two of the younger franchises like Columbus or Nashville?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For all the great players the Canadiens have had over the decades, I actually thought this exercise was pretty easy for Montreal.
Not me. Morenz, Plante, Dryden and Harvey go in before Roy. As great as Lafleur was, I can't say that he deserves to go in before Harvey, either.

Parise and Brunette before Suter? C'mon, get a clue.

King Clancy should be in there for the Leafs...maybe Apps, or Conacher.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Giguere would be above Kariya for Anaheim. They got the other three right.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To the people freaking out because of guys like Hawerchuk and Kovalchuk being included for teams they didn't play for, I feel like you're being intentionally dishonest here. Hawerchuk played for the original Winnipeg Jets, who moved to Phoenix. Kovalchuk played for the Thrashers, who moved to Winnipeg. I feel like complaining about them being included, when the discussion is the "franchise Mount Rushmore" is being intentionally dense.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Puck daddy ran this same series like 8 years ago. I get that it's the offseason but come on wyshynski
Ha-ha. I remember that series fairly well. They put Jagr as one of 4 all time greats of the Rangers.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I agree with your Oilers take. As good as McDavid is now, and as high as his potential is, no way should he get the nod over Paul Coffey.

Definitely not a Canadiens fan, but Dryden should get the nod over Roy due to number of Stanley Cup championships in Montreal. I also take into account Dryden’s role in the Summit Series.

The Bruins Mount Rushmore is hard. Orr is the only 1000% lock. After that, Eddie Shore, Phil Esposito, Cam Neely, Ray Bourque, Milt Schmidt, and Patrice Bergeron all battle for the last three spots.

I can’t decide.
Roy deserves to be over Dryden, you coulda played goalie and won as many championships as Dryden

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Roy deserves to be over Dryden, you coulda played goalie and won as many championships as Dryden

As a Bruins fan, I have lots of respect for Patrick Roy. I’ve seen him win a lot of games for the Canadiens and the Avalanche.

Dryden’s biggest playoff wins, I think, came against the 1971 Bruins. Although I did not watch that series, I don’t think Roy has a major upset on par with that under his belt. Does he?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
McDavid just hasn’t played enough seasons yet. He needs to stay healthy and he will be up there. Right now I wouldn’t put him ahead of Coffey

Reactions: rfournier103

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Toronto is... Less bad than expected. I think arguments can be made for any of Sittler, Bower, Apps and Conacher over Sundin and Salming, but I fully expected to see either Clark or Gilmour on there so I guess I'm pleasantly surprised. The picks weren't bad at all.

I say, no Cup win you're not on.
Bower/Broda, Apps, Day, Horton and Conacher, are all above the 2 Swedes IMNSHO.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
leaves is easy….

mathewes, nyilander, marnner 'n tavahrez...

chiseled right into the ****ing scarborough bluffs for all paddle board toronmorians to marvel at before they go back to the beaches and sip on their 6 dollar lattes

Ho, ho ho....maybe you should think of your own team.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
St. Louis's one feels... off? I dunno, just doesn't strike me as right. Feel like it should have CuJo or Shanny or Pietro on there somewhere.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Also, it's silly stupid to have McDavid up there based on expectations rather than accomplishments.
I had the same initial thought as you.

But honestly.... McDavid's 5 major individual awards (2 Art Ross, 2 Lindsey, 1 Hart) is more than any Oiler not named Gretzky and the first Oiler to win any since 1990.

I understand its not all about individual accomplishments. I think I'd have Coffey in there instead of Connor at this point. But I can see the argument for him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
"Columbus: Bobrovsky, Nash, Shelley, Vyborny"

Vyborny and Shelley are just place-holders here. I don't think it's too early to replace Shelley with Seth Jones. And at the end of the day we're all going to remember Nick Foligno's adventures far better than anything Vyborny did.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
To the people freaking out because of guys like Hawerchuk and Kovalchuk being included for teams they didn't play for, I feel like you're being intentionally dishonest here. Hawerchuk played for the original Winnipeg Jets, who moved to Phoenix. Kovalchuk played for the Thrashers, who moved to Winnipeg. I feel like complaining about them being included, when the discussion is the "franchise Mount Rushmore" is being intentionally dense.

I think the idea of a "franchise Mount Rushmore" is a little disingenuous as it relates to Winnipeg. Having outsiders select who should be on someone else's Mount Rushmore is a little akin to having Russia select Mount Rushmore for the United States instead of letting Americans make that decision. It should be based on the heroes of the people that live in that location not someone who never set foot there. If there were to be a Mount Rushmore of music for Winnipeg, it would most certainly include Burton Cummings of The Guess Who. He may reside in Los Angeles now but the music was made in Winnipeg. The fans here will never identify with Kovalchuk over Hawerchuk or Selanne. There's no disrespect intended to the fine folks of Atlanta. They deserve the Thrashers history as that is where those players actually played. We on the other hand would prefer our Mount Rushmore to include the likes of Hull, Hawerchuk and Selanne, etc.

:jets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad