ESPN: Mount "Puckmore" for All 31 Franchises

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Given that the OP included previous locations of teams Colorado needs to include Stastny. Only Gretzky scored more points in the 80s than Peter. He's an icon in the franchise and an icon for breaking down the cold war wall for hockey players. He replaces Foote.

I'd have a hard time not including Neely on an all time Bruins group.

Marleau over Nolan for me.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I know Vernon won a Cup with the Flames and Kipper didn't, but Kipper was way better and more important during the 2000's than Vernon was for the Flames in the 80's/90's. Kipper broke a modern day GAA average of 1.69 to get the Flames into the playoffs in 2004. Him and Iggy got us to game 7 of the finals. Vernon's teams were stacked af.
Yeah, I'd put either Kipper or Lanny over Vernon. At this point I'd put Gio in before Vernon.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Ooof. No one on the Wild would be on Minnesota's hockey Mt. Rushmore. Brooks, Broten, Goldsworthy... dunno, maybe Ciccarelli?

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I had the same initial thought as you.

But honestly.... McDavid's 5 major individual awards (2 Art Ross, 2 Lindsey, 1 Hart) is more than any Oiler not named Gretzky and the first Oiler to win any since 1990.

I understand its not all about individual accomplishments. I think I'd have Coffey in there instead of Connor at this point. But I can see the argument for him.

Fair enough. McDavid's trophy cabinet is certainly very impressive but at this point in time it's still premature to put him up there (and I know you said you still have Coffey in over McDavid for now). I know McDavid likely will make his way to Mt Rushmore but as of now his three years, five trophies, and one series win do not hold a candle to seven years, two Norris', a handful of 100 point seasons as a defenseman, and three championships. I know he was on a superior stacked team, vastly better than what Connor has had to work with, but his contribution to the dynasty remains the same. This is why I so harshly used the word stupid to describe the author's list.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's not tough at all. Lanny was our first legitimate star, you can't have a Mount Rushmore without him. He belongs there before Theo too.

Can someone explain the McDonald love in Calgary? I mean he was a good player for a few years and then became the grizzled veteran past his prime, but he only really had one noteworthy offensive season on the team.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think the idea of a "franchise Mount Rushmore" is a little disingenuous as it relates to Winnipeg. Having outsiders select who should be on someone else's Mount Rushmore is a little akin to having Russia select Mount Rushmore for the United States instead of letting Americans make that decision. It should be based on the heroes of the people that live in that location not someone who never set foot there. If there were to be a Mount Rushmore of music for Winnipeg, it would most certainly include Burton Cummings of The Guess Who. He may reside in Los Angeles now but the music was made in Winnipeg. The fans here will never identify with Kovalchuk over Hawerchuk or Selanne. There's no disrespect intended to the fine folks of Atlanta. They deserve the Thrashers history as that is where those players actually played. We on the other hand would prefer our Mount Rushmore to include the likes of Hull, Hawerchuk and Selanne, etc.

:jets

But the whole point is that it's a franchise Mount Rushmore not a home city Mount Rushmore. I can understand if there was going to be a ceremony in each city, as this applied to the actual fans that would want to come to such an event. This is different as it's just an exercise for each franchise.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
If they made physical Mt. Rushmore's out of all of these, Sawchuk needs to be on Detroit's.

... Not because he's in the top 4, but can you imagine this face on a mountain?!

131211-life-hockey-goalie-sawchuk-1966.jpg
upload_2018-8-19_11-45-34.jpeg

”Damn em soft, chicken swedes! Chase em outta here - use every tool you have!” - all coaches in the NHL (kinda) at the time

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Not a fan of bringing the old city's team stuff to the new city. Dallas shouldn't have Broten (and his number shouldn't be retired in Dallas, either). Aside from that I would sub out Benn and bring Lehtinen in.

Reactions: rfournier103

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Patrice Bergeron is one of my favorite players but Eddie Shore was the Orr/Gretzky of his era. He won 4 Harte trophies. I would argue that Orr is the only Bruin that deserves to be on this list above Shore. Milt Schmidt is right there with him though.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I think I'd put Giguere over Niedermayer but that can be heavily debated.

Also, it's silly stupid to have McDavid up there based on expectations rather than accomplishments.
To be fair, this is a discussion on franchise defining players, right?

“Expectations over accomplishments” does sort of fit the bill for the modern day Oilers

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Canadian content - Total = 81 CDN / 124 Total = 65%

Metro: 23/32 = 72%
Carolina: 4/4
Columbus: 2/4
New Jersey: 4/4
Islanders: 4/4
Rangers: 2/4
Philadelphia: 4/4
Pittsburgh: 2/4