News Article: ESPN: Montreal has all the pieces to be legit Stanley Cup contenders

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
pretty much if were improving we have to improve big time and the player has to be worth the cap hit with players going back to get us under the cap, or we pick up someone who is going to be ufa next year so we don't have to worry about be stuck with a big contract.

The problem with iginla is that he is neither of these things, we will be stuck with his contract while we won't be making a big improvement, I don't expect him to produce as much here anyways.

We're in a tricky situation but we don't have anyone that can't be traded, meaning we can be very flexible with trading players if we do want to fit someone under the cap. We also have a lot of prospects that can be traded in a large package.

I think the best thing to do is to wait another 20-30 games before we start looking to make trades, it's too early to be making judgements on players, good or bad. We should wait until teams commit to selling and are looking for prospects/picks or a player starts looking for a trade out of a team. Patience is key for a competitive team, we don't want to get stuck with a bad contract and player that might not fit our team.

Around game #30-32 is when I start looking for improvements, unless you are the Leafs that have been looking for the last 48 years...

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The problem with iginla is that he is neither of these things, we will be stuck with his contract while we won't be making a big improvement, I don't expect him to produce as much here anyways.

Wait... a guy who had 29 goals last year would not be a big improvement on the rw we are currently playing on the 2nd line? 3rd?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't even want to think about Iginla.. to me MB need to aim for a UFA that are younger and that will bring more speed.
I like guy like Mikkel Boedker and Shawn Matthias Both UFA playing on none playoff team not the biggest names so there a good chance that they won't sign before the deadline.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
We are legit contenders, and the hater squad on the main board don't like to hear about it that's for sure. :laugh:

So many clueless people over there, I've read so much lies about this team it makes me wonder if they're stuck in the past or something. Especially TB and NYR fans, they're extremely salty right now.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Not interested in Iggy, maybe if contract was different but today no. This team has great depth and it sure will be interesting to see what tweecks Bergevin makes. Teams will all be cautious about cap hit and so forth so maybe there is a steal to be had.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I couldnt wait for Therrien and his dumb n chase system to go away. But... he did change it and Ive changed my mind. If he can keep refinning it instead of reverting back when the going gets tough.. he gets my vote.

Im pretty sure though that hes just itchin to dnc again.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I couldnt wait for Therrien and his dumb n chase system to go away. But... he did change it and Ive changed my mind. If he can keep refinning it instead of reverting back when the going gets tough.. he gets my vote.

Im pretty sure though that hes just itchin to dnc again.
Winning is the cure all........it will be interesting how everyone reacts to a 2-3 game losing streak...especially da coach.
In the meantime, we do have the pieces, barring major injuries, to have a good season, and hopefully a great post season!!

Congrats to MT and his staff for our success, so far.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I think it is possible that we can win the cup, but the one issue I have with our team is size at centre. Bergevin has done a good job of making this team bigger, but right now are centres are 5'11, 6'1, 5'7 and 5'11.

Now I did notice MT sometimes late in games actually puts Eller out at Centre with Flash and Wiese in place of DD, but unless its a move full time I see size at C is what is lacking.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't even want to think about Iginla.. to me MB need to aim for a UFA that are younger and that will bring more speed.
I like guy like Mikkel Boedker and Shawn Matthias Both UFA playing on none playoff team not the biggest names so there a good chance that they won't sign before the deadline.

Matthias would be one who would interest me.
I'm thinking he would come at a good price for a 3-4 year stint.
Exactly the type of move I'm hoping for and well before TDL if possible.
Anything else we could "rent" would be icing on the cake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad