News Article: ESPN: Montreal has all the pieces to be legit Stanley Cup contenders

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I not blaming anyone BTW... Some people claim that the team is bad, mt is bad, etc. For the last few years.

I never did that... Hab were good and getting better.

Players are better, roster is better, shows is better, plans is the same...

People undergrade some much and down grade so much... Black and white... Hf mt just want to continue to saw how dumb he was and not seeing that to current line is possible because of good player development and various rosters change

Not saying you're blaming anyone, just that you seem to mistake where that fault lies.

Just as you say, people claiming the only fault with this team was Therrien are blinding themselves, the roster has indeed been improved from last year. However, you're going to the opposite extreme by saying the only thing we lacked to become that dominant was a few better players. As you said, it's not either black or white, it's a bit of both.

We got better players, but the coaching staff also adjusted their system as to take advantage of that improvement.

The fact that some people criticize whatever part of the team/coach has nothing to do with judging whether the system we're using this year is different from last year's, but it seems to have biased your perception a little (see bolded).

People better than me at explaining this have demonstrated how the system is different from last year. Admitting it doesn't necessarily take anything away from the coach/team.

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
You still need to score in the playoffs. I don't think that just because Plekanec is well rested that it will turn him in to a sniper in the playoffs. Other than Patches we don't have any game breakers, snipers that can bury scoring chances, unless Galchenyuk becomes that guy. To me that was the difference last year with Tampa. We had chances we don't score, they have chances and they score. They just have a little more skill.

My point is not that Plek will be a sniper because he's rested, I was just saying he'll likely be more effective than the last few post seasons.

The reason I think we'll have better scoring in the playoffs is because of our depth. We have 4 defenceman who can contribute offensively (Subban, Markov, Petry, Beaulieu), and although you might say they were there last season, Petry was still new to the team, and Beau got injured in game 3 of the first round.
We also have 3 lines that can score now, and while none of them are the most fearsome offensive unit, it's hard to shutdown when it's spread out evenly like it is.
That combined with the puck moving ability of our backend which makes creating offense easier for the forwards, and the fact that we can play our 4th line 10-15 minutes a night, in any situation, just means the top 3 lines will have more energy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For a deep playoff run, Habs need a legit no 1 center. Plekanec has never cut it in the playoffs. They probably won't look for an external solution... It means Galchenyuk will need to take a giant leap forward b etween now and the playoffs...

I know the Bruins won the Cup with a non-existent power play a few years back. Wouldn't count on pulling it off again. Our PP still sucks as bad as always. Something needs to be done about it.

Who'll remember if we get 115 points+, the President's Trophy or even the St-Louis Blues Cup for Regular Season Excellence... We need to prime this team for the Stanley Cup. We're in this rosters' window of opportunity!

Wouldn't surprise me to see Bergevin pull off a couple of deadline date moves. We have the guys to get us to the playoffs, based on last year's squad's performance. We might need reinforcements to help us get through the playoffs. However, October points are just as valuable as April points in the standings and so long as the team is playing well, there will be little inclination to do anything significant now.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
With the loss of Kassian, the wildcard status of Semin (who knows how he plays at game 60? Game 80? Game 100?) and the "probably won't be scoring threat' statuses of DSP and Weise, I'd like to see the Habs add a right winger at the deadline.

Shane Doan would be perfect for that.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Wouldn't surprise me to see Bergevin pull off a couple of deadline date moves. We have the guys to get us to the playoffs, based on last year's squad's performance. We might need reinforcements to help us get through the playoffs. However, October points are just as valuable as April points in the standings and so long as the team is playing well, there will be little inclination to do anything significant now.

I think this is the year where we need to make one big move rather than a couple of small ones. Our D is pretty much set and deep, I don't see how we'd use more bottom 6 players, so the only piece we should be looking to add is that so desired top 6 forward.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think this is the year where we need to make one big move rather than a couple of small ones. Our D is pretty much set and deep, I don't see how we'd use more bottom 6 players, so the only piece we should be looking to add is that so desired top 6 forward.

I didn't qualify the moves by whether they would be bottom sixers or not. I merely intended it in a generic manner. It could be a top 6 move in a combo, much too early to tell as so much can happen between now and then.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I didn't qualify the moves by whether they would be bottom sixers or not. I merely intended it in a generic manner. It could be a top 6 move in a combo, much too early to tell as so much can happen between now and then.

My bad for assuming it, generally a couple means more than one, and the only type of move that's doable repeatedly is going for depth guys. Either way, agreed on the fact there's still a long way till deadline to better evaluate our needs.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
If the President's Trophy were awarded after 7 games, the Habs would be the winners. However, there are 75 games to go and anything could happen.

Plekaturtlenec

Jan 11, 2014
Toronto
If the President's Trophy were awarded after 7 games, the Habs would be the winners. However, there are 75 games to go and anything could happen.

Of course. This has beens said many times and it's obvious. There is reason to think it will continue (albeit slow down a bit) due to the stability in net and the balance and maturity of 4 lines.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

And if the first 4 games were the SCF, we'd have swept it. How awesome is that? :sarcasm:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Why would you trade Eller? He has been one of our best players. Eller is a monster this year!!! Some guys might have more points but Eller is all over the ice. He wins board battles, hits, controls the puck, creates scoring chances, back checks and makes good defensive plays... Eller is looking good thus far.

Yeah he's been great. Not super flashy but he is difficult to play against no doubt. I wouldn't trade any roster player if we keep it up. Trade a prospect or pick for a guy like ladd at the deadline I would do though.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
With the loss of Kassian, the wildcard status of Semin (who knows how he plays at game 60? Game 80? Game 100?) and the "probably won't be scoring threat' statuses of DSP and Weise, I'd like to see the Habs add a right winger at the deadline.

Shane Doan would be perfect for that.

Doan's an aging ***** who, in any case, have repeatedly stated that he wants to end his career in Arizona.

Okposo = best deadline rental available IMO.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Doan's an aging ***** who, in any case, have repeatedly stated that he wants to end his career in Arizona.

Okposo = best deadline rental available IMO.

It's dependent on who makes the playoffs though. Pretty sure the Isles will and won't want to trade Okposo if they do. He would be great on the habs but I doubt we could pick him up.

Boedker I think the habs could get. Best part is he is young. Plus we could unite the great Danes.

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
I don't think Doan will be able to keep up the pace with this club. I would have taken him a few years ago but I'm not so sure now.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
Not saying you're blaming anyone, just that you seem to mistake where that fault lies.

Just as you say, people claiming the only fault with this team was Therrien are blinding themselves, the roster has indeed been improved from last year. However, you're going to the opposite extreme by saying the only thing we lacked to become that dominant was a few better players. As you said, it's not either black or white, it's a bit of both.

We got better players, but the coaching staff also adjusted their system as to take advantage of that improvement.

The fact that some people criticize whatever part of the team/coach has nothing to do with judging whether the system we're using this year is different from last year's, but it seems to have biased your perception a little (see bolded).

People better than me at explaining this have demonstrated how the system is different from last year. Admitting it doesn't necessarily take anything away from the coach/team.

In addition to the new system that seems to be in place, people also need to keep in mind that the Habs (as opposed to last year) have entrenched their core in their respective positions while keeping the rest of the roster hungry due to increased competition.

I see that as a main distinction from last year. Over the offseason the Habs gave Gallagher an A, told Galchenyuk he'd be playing center to start the season, and made re-signing Petry a priority. Those three guys, plus Pacioretty, Plekanec (with his new deal), Markov, Subban and Price all seem to have their place in the roster pretty set in stone. Those are the guys you are gonna win/lose with so making sure they know what their jobs are going into the season probably helps.

That's also gotta be a huge boost for the Gallys. Both of those guys have been bounced around the lineup during their first three seasons, and that doesn't seem to be the case this year (though its obviously early). Meanwhile, there's enough internal competition amongst the forwards and defensemen that the rest of the lineup doesn't seem to want to take a night off.

line juggling will still happen, but even if it does there seems to be a pretty well-established pecking order amongst the team, that hasn't been present in years past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad