ESPN hires PK Subban as a NHL analyst

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Subban is a great choice and when he retires I hope he sticks around for the intermissions in broadcasts. He's a star player, big personality, entertaining, not your typical hockey player in that regard and being a minority in a predominantly white league can help introduce/grow the game in different communities and demographics. Win/win.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think PK is probably gonna consider retiring after his contract ends next season, and this is a major power play by ESPN. They can pay well enough to entice him into a major role covering hockey for them instead of him signing a pretty small deal to be a #6 defenseman somewhere.

I'd be surprised if he retired after this season. Unless you're just sick of playing or injured, wouldn't you want to continue to perform on the highest level as long as you can and at least chase a Cup?

And while he's not really a top pairing d-man anymore, he's certainly not a #6 either. He still played 22 minutes a night this past season and had a decent year - it's just he's not close to earning his $9M cap hit anymore. He'll have made close to $80M in his career by the end of next season, not including endorsements, and could afford to take less to sign on with a top team as a mid or even bottom pairing defender.

They'll be a broadcasting job available for him somewhere regardless of when he decides to hang them up.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He’s been destined to do this for years. He’ll be amazing.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Kind of a bigoted thing to say. That "minorities" can only enjoy something if there's people who look like them doing it.

I didn't say that or even hint at that notion whatsoever. If a young minority is watching a sea of white people playing a sport and discussing it on television...do you really think they'll feel more welcome to that sport?

I coached high school golf and assuring minority students that they were just as encouraged to try out for the team (if they wanted to) as their white peers was definitely a real thing. I had to get clubs and equipment donated to the school for students of lower socio-economic statuses to be able to play the sport which they're interested in but otherwise could not afford. Tiger Woods despite some of his flaws (which we all have) had a tremendous impact on the sport reaching newer communities.

Gold is similar to hockey in the sense that it's expensive to play and thus creates a huge barrier for lower socio-economic kids to get into it (which minorities are disproportionately in that group of people).

What's wrong with having minority voice represented to help create a more welcoming environment for minorities in the sport (and let's not fool ourselves hockey absolutely can do a better job at being more inclusive)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridge1982

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I didn't say that or even hint at that notion whatsoever. If a young minority is watching a sea of white people playing a sport and discussing it on television...do you really think they'll feel more welcome to that sport?

I am a minority. Should I feel unwelcome when I watch hockey?

I am really tired of people making assumptions about others due to their race/heritage/whatever. How about you let me be an individual instead of assuming my feelings will be hurt if you don't accommodate me? That is offensive in and of itself.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Kind of a bigoted thing to say. That "minorities" can only enjoy something if there's people who look like them doing it.
If you're reaching, nobody said it was the only way. People like representation, it's a really simple way to establish some common ground. Nothing says "you can do this too" like seeing someone who looks like you doing it already.

f*** me, this is a real stretch.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I am a minority. Should I feel unwelcome when I watch hockey?

I am really tired of people making assumptions about others due to their race/heritage/whatever.

I'll copy and paste what I edited as I think it's relevant:

I coached high school golf and assuring minority students that they were just as encouraged to try out for the team (if they wanted to) as their white peers was definitely a real thing. I had to get clubs and equipment donated to the school for students of lower socio-economic statuses to be able to play the sport which they're interested in but otherwise could not afford. Tiger Woods despite some of his flaws (which we all have) had a tremendous impact on the sport reaching newer communities.

You're entitled to your experience just like everybody else is. I didn't specify you (I had no way of doing such as I have no clue what race you are and neither do I care tbh). But I'm telling you based on my experience I've interacted with plenty of minority students aka kids who have flat out told me the above.

We can disagree and that's fine, but being called a "bigot" is not something I take lightly and quite frankly is crap in this situation.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Subban has a $6m signing bonus and a $2m base salary for this final year of his contract.
Can he retire over the summer and keep the signing bonus? Because that's what I'd assume he's doing if that's allowed.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I'll copy and paste what I edited as I think it's relevant:

You're entitled to your experience just like everybody else is. I didn't specify you (I had no way of doing such as I have no clue what race you are and neither do I care tbh). But I'm telling you based on my experience I've interacted with plenty of minority students aka kids who have flat out told me the above.

We can disagree and that's fine, but being called a "bigot" is not something I take lightly and quite frankly is crap in this situation.

And we'll have to disagree. It's people like you that are the rot in society right now. Assuming others are disadvantaged because they aren't "white".

The only thing you're right about is we're all individuals. So I'd appreciate if you'd stop trying to speak for "groups" and putting people into buckets by saying "it's a real thing with minorities". Just because I am not white shouldn't mean I am a minority. People like you are putting people like me into a bucket. Shame on you.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
These things are sometimes hard to predict but I would guess that Subban will be good on TV. I'd like to see him do some work with TSN in the future.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I don't get why people think Subban would be so good on air. He isn't funny or entertaining; he is a perfect example of somebody who thinks being loud, quirky, and hyper is the same as being funny. Quite annoying in my opinion.

My ESPN wishlist is Dominic Moore, Ilya Bryzgalov, Keith Yandle, and Scott Hartnell.
Wasn't looking for him, but I'm happy that Kevin Weekes is on board. Good commentator.
Don't care about Gretzsky, and I view Subban as a negative.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

And we'll have to disagree. It's people like you that are the rot in society right now. Assuming others are disadvantaged because they aren't "white".

The only thing you're right about is we're all individuals. So I'd appreciate if you'd stop trying to speak for "groups" and putting people into buckets by saying "it's a real thing with minorities". Just because I am not white does not mean I am a minority. Shame on you.

I don't assume people are disadvantaged due to their race and never stated such. You're reading way too much into my statements.

I clearly said that people are disadvantaged due to their socio-economic status-which IS true. It's also true that people of lower SES's are disproportionately racial minorities. If you have evidence to suggest otherwise I'd love to see it. Stating those facts isn't speaking for minorities or groups...it's stating facts.

Also, if you live in the United States and aren't white you are a racial minority since the majority of people in the United States are white. Again, a fact.

Stating my own experiences in working with students isn't speaking for a group of people it's speaking based on my (extremely) limited experience with a few students. Nothing more, nothing less.

Have a nice rest of your night.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Why are people assuming he would rather be a TV personality rather than a professional hockey play? You're only young enough to play pro for a short time but being a TV talking head can happen at any age. Has he said something to indicate he doesn't like playing hockey anymore? The guy is only 32.

Reactions: HBK27

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
That is insanely offensive. Should I feel unwelcome watching basketball since I'm not 6'7"?
Haha no it's f***ing not. It's literally the exact shit that comes up every year when we talk about trailblazing athletes, from the mouths of the athletes they inspired. Easiest and most recent is female referees in football and basketball, and the swath of girls who didn't even realize that was a thing they could try doing until they saw it being done by somebody else.

It might not be worth more to you than the incredibly large chip on your shoulder, but other people appreciate it. The only one in here discrediting people to the point where they can only enjoy something that is parroted by their own demographic is you.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Too much personality for Canadian TV, glad he is having a chance in US. Should be a great fit for ESPN.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I love PK but this sort of stuff is probably why his decline has been so steep over the last couple of years.

His game isn't anywhere where it should be and he's doing analyst/PR stuff in his off-season? I know there's a lot of time left before next season, but at some point I start to question his priorities.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I love PK but this sort of stuff is probably why his decline has been so steep over the last couple of years.

His game isn't anywhere where it should be and he's doing analyst/PR stuff in his off-season? I know there's a lot of time left before next season, but at some point I start to question his priorities.
He just had a strong bounce back season and is a solid top 4 defencemen. There’s still lots of time for him to workout and prepare during a day. Like there’s only so much you can do in one day before it’s start hurting you more than it helps. Players need to take breaks and do other things during their off season. I think this is great. Doing something he enjoys and seems to be good at and could potentially be his career after hockey.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don't get why people think Subban would be so good on air. He isn't funny or entertaining; he is a perfect example of somebody who thinks being loud, quirky, and hyper is the same as being funny. Quite annoying in my opinion.

My ESPN wishlist is Dominic Moore, Ilya Bryzgalov, Keith Yandle, and Scott Hartnell.
Wasn't looking for him, but I'm happy that Kevin Weekes is on board. Good commentator.
Don't care about Gretzsky, and I view Subban as a negative.
He has charisma and is a smart guy who’s passionate about hockey. He’s also done very well in other appearances he’s made on tv with Sportsnet and ESPN. I wasn’t able to watch him myself but from reading comments on Twitter people seem to think he was very good.

Did anyone on here watch and if so what did you think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad