ESPN hires PK Subban as a NHL analyst

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Is this just a temporary gig until the playoffs are over? ESPN hardly shows hockey highlights anyways, let alone analysis. Unless this is for next year, which I don't understand if he's still playing.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think PK is probably gonna consider retiring after his contract ends next season, and this is a major power play by ESPN. They can pay well enough to entice him into a major role covering hockey for them instead of him signing a pretty small deal to be a #6 defenseman somewhere.

His following is huge, he's extremely well-spoken, and he's very charismatic and quite funny. Give him a show/podcast where all he has to do is talk hockey and interview players 2/3 times a week and he'll rival Spittin' Chiclets. He might also be the only guy in the world who could legitimately make hockey a talking point on a show like Get Up or First Take. Doesn't even matter if you hate these shows, their audience numbers speak for themselves.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think PK is probably gonna consider retiring after his contract ends next season, and this is a major power play by ESPN. They can pay well enough to entice him into a major role covering hockey for them instead of him signing a pretty small deal to be a #6 defenseman somewhere.

His following is huge, he's extremely well-spoken, and he's very charismatic and quite funny. Give him a show/podcast where all he has to do is talk hockey and interview players 2/3 times a week and he'll rival Spittin' Chiclets. He might also be the only guy in the world who could legitimately make hockey a talking point on a show like Get Up or First Take. Doesn't even matter if you hate these shows, their audience numbers speak for themselves.
He just had a strong bounce back year. He’s not an elite top pairing guy anymore but still a top 4 defencemen that should get a decent contract so I doubt he’ll retire yet.

Edit: there’s also a good chance he wants to chase a cup. I could definitely see him signing a cheaper deal with a contending team. Especially considering how much he’s made from his current deal.

Last edited:

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Love him or hate him PK has a lot more personality than most former hockey players turned analyst

I actually think he would do quite well in such a capacity

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Everyone knew Subban was made for TV after his playing days were over. Let's see what he has in store for us on the broadcasting side of things.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not unprecedented. Greg Olsen did the same with NFL on FOX and even handled color commentary the last couple years during BYE weeks when his team wasn't playing before joining full time now that he's retired.

And it makes sense for ESPN to be ramping up their NHL content in preparation for next season. Even if it gets eyeballs to NBC right now, it means more viewers next year when they have the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad