Post-Game Talk: Error 404: Team Not Found

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
i remember the backlash MS got when he said “this is probably going to be our beat chance for a while” when we made it to the second round in the bubble

none of us expected us to be this bad this year tho

hfboards too positive?

I don’t know. It’s been a pretty bad team for some time. I think people looked at the addition of Garland and added a pure 25 goals forgetting he’d be replacing someone who would likely get 15 in the same usage. It’s also balanced by the continued decline of Pearson. Sure Boeser and Pettersson have had struggles but all in all they are getting career numbers from Garland and Miller early on so that is also balancing.

the major issues with the team were the bottom 2 centers being offensive black holes, the 4th line pretty much being the worst in the league (third not great either) a terrible blueline and lack of organizational depth. Some of those positions are now with cheaper contracts but they aren’t better. I don’t see those things having been addressed in the off season and that fits with many of the pre-season models I saw. I would say it’s a marginally better team than last year but marginally better wasn’t what was needed. And they still might be but it is certainly not looking good.

And as per usual when things go south the GM and owner go MIA and leave the head coach and players to answer for everything. The coach has a lot to answer for but it’s shameful behavior from the front office.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
For all the criticism of the Lotto Line ... their numbers are pretty much on par.

If we were to have received 75 (Pettersson) + 70 (Miller) + 70 (Miller) = 215 points from that group, I think that would have been considered pretty decent heading into the season.

Right now, they're on pace for 93 (Miller) + 60 (Boeser) + 53 (Pettersson) = 206 points.

Meanwhile our #3 and #4 centers have put a 27-1-0-1 line on the board while playing 23 minutes/night.

Having two of your regular centers fail to record an assist this far into the season should be nearly impossible. And one of them isn't even Sutter.

This sums up the Canucks offence well. People get excited and wonder why they are struggling offensively because they have a very good top six. However, the supporting cast is awful. In 2011, the Nucks third line could defend but also score.

Reactions: Indiana

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Italy at least beat the basement dwelling militaries of Ethiopia and Albania.

I'd say we are France.

We got scarred by the last war (2011) and it has left its mark on us as an organization and culture.

We have incompetent leadership comprised of ineffective old men that is trying it's hardest to win the last war, and investing in tactics and assets to win of the last war (Maginot line and 'Culture carrying vets')

Leadership doesn't lead from the frontlines, but in a bunker hundreds of miles in the rear without any telephone/telegraph system set up. (No accountability/media appearances from JB/Aqua, Gamelin in the battle of France)

Relying on outdated technology, mindset and tactics rather than keep up with the times, because their mindset is still in the first world war (defense vs offense, investment in infantry vs aircraft/tanks, throwing draft picks away for older 'established' vets, focusing on size and players who 'make a good first pass')

Strategy is to turtle and defend rather than attack, even with overwhelming odds in your favor, because they psychologically are already beaten by past experiences and ghosts (see. Buffalo game, France during the Invasion of Poland)
That's a good analogy! I like your creativity in that. Yeah, the Canucks are either Italy or France. Neither feels that great. Both got crushed when they had to perform because of basically the same reasons. Incompetent doctrine and a leadership always taking care of their past failures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana and DS7

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This sums up the Canucks offence well. People get excited and wonder why they are struggling offensively because they have a very good top six. However, the supporting cast is awful. In 2011, the Nucks third line could defend but also score.

Yep. They have essentially one dimensional guys in the top 6…even when on they are merely passable defensively. In the bottom 6 they have Garland and Hoglander who I think can play a good two-way game but the one direction is completely neutered by Dickinson. The 4th line like every 4th line under Benning just gets caved in…it’s no dimensional. And then the blueline…yikes.

Reactions: canucksfan

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Knights have been playing very loose hockey so far this year. It could be the wide open game the Canucks like to play. May simply come down to Lehner vs Demko.

Knights are hurt but they did play the Wild and did look good against them. I’m feeling a 5-1, 5-2 type of loss.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks will have no Hamonic, no Schenn, and no Poolman, the D will be a mess next game and probably the one after, thought I'd remind the people who are betting :thumbu:
Hamonic has only played a couple of games for the Canucks, and Schenn has been a healthy scratch for most of the season. Poolman has been decent, but at this point is no better than a 5-6 d-man.

If the absence of those guys is going to derail the Canucks blueline then they were pretty terrible to begin with. Come to think of it, that's probably true.

Unfortunately the Canucks don't have the last change in these road games, so that means some of their vulnerable d-pairings get trapped out there with unfavorable matchups.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Hamonic has only played a couple of games for the Canucks, and Schenn has been a healthy scratch for most of the season. Poolman has been decent, but at this point is no better than a 5-6 d-man.

If the absence of those guys is going to derail the Canucks blueline then they were pretty terrible to begin with. Come to think of it, that's probably true.

Unfortunately the Canucks don't have the last change in these road games, so that means some of their vulnerable d-pairings get trapped out there with unfavorable matchups.

It was just a friendly reminder that it will be youth available and not veterans available makes a difference still especially on the back end. It will be ugly, not saying that those guys not playing are the what make or break this team, but not having any of those guys available doesn't help your odds at all.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Been a fan since day one but I have to say that this is the most hopeless I’ve felt about the future of the team and that’s saying something after the previous sad states that the team has been in.
It’s going to be a long winter…

whatever happened last year is not over, and looks like it can only be over if heads roll.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
No Poolman...

Nucks D might be:

OEL - Myers
Hughes - Bowey
Rathbone - Burroughs

wHaT If ThE dEfEnCe IsN't AcTuAlLy ThAt BaD?

------------------------------

And yes, to reiterate the obvious, there's clearly something very badly wrong at a systemic level that goes beyond easy fixes and simple roster moves. This is a team clearly quitting on its coach and going through the motions with zero investment and zero buy-in.

Reactions: Indiana

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
That D looks trash.

Remember when Benning inherited this team..

Our top 4 then

Edler-Hamhuis
Tanev- Bieksa

No improvement whatsoever after 8 years

Reactions: likash

likash

Apr 17, 2019
That D looks trash.

Remember when Benning inherited this team..

Our top 4 then

Edler-Hamhuis
Tanev- Bieksa

No improvement whatsoever after 8 years
You forgot slow Garrison who was our best defender 2013-2014 when he also had like 7 G and 33 pts. People seem to hate him for some reason but he was decent. Trader Jim got a 2nd for him. He replaced him with Sbisa. :laugh: I heve no doubt that we beat the Flames with slowGarrison instead of Sbisa even with Willie 1,2,3,4 at the helm.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That's a good analogy! I like your creativity in that. Yeah, the Canucks are either Italy or France. Neither feels that great. Both got crushed when they had to perform because of basically the same reasons. Incompetent doctrine and a leadership always taking care of their past failures.
France did have a few good leaders but they were in the minority. They actually had tanks that could stop the German Panzers way back in 1940 (the Germans soon found out just how inferior their tanks were when they attacked the Soviet Union & they had to quickly made the necessary "adjustments"). Problem with France is that their "leadership" spread out their armour throughout their country instead of concentrating them as one armoured force (this is actually what Charles De Gaulle wanted them to do but nobody wanted to listen to him).

Reactions: likash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad