Post-Game Talk: Error 404: Team Not Found

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hoglander and Podkolzin are both indefatigable out there.....I just hope they don't eventually succumb to the 'Canuck disease' that seems to afflict every player who spends any time around here.

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
Let Podkolzin kill some penalties...the kid is smart, he's energetic and he's under utilized...start working him, he can't be any worse than what we're currently putting out there.
But he's a rookie and hasn't learned the system yet. Once he's broken in and accepts that dump and chase, surrendering 30+ shots a night, and largely giving up 20 games into the season is the Canucks way (you've got start caring again with 8 games left so as to not secure a good draft pick). Then will he begin to see 14 min a night, and 1 PK a game.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Elias Floaterrsson.

God damn. Making millions and put on a performance like that. I'd skate till I collapsed for 50k.

Gotta love being a die hard of this team. It literally might just kill us.
This is 100% management. The entire team looks like shit, like they don't give a shit. Bad effort, bad coherence and a bad system. In this league you need to be on the top to win, but the morale of this squad is terrible and has been so for 2 seasons or so. For a great example, just follow the clear mood switch of J.T. Miller. Or both Pettersson and Hughes starting to rile up in their contract situations, that would NEVER HAVE HAPPENED if the Canucks were a respectable organization.

Because they're not loyal to the clowns in ties right now. I mean, the players still try to give a shit because they want to play hockey, but when you despise the leadership you can't give your best. You get a mental block in motivation.

Nothing will change in Vancouver until AT LEAST Benning is fired. For the best, the owner should sell the franchise to someone who cares and isn't a terrible decision maker in who should lead the franchise.

I mean, I've followed the NYR for a long time. I've despised Dolan for being so mellow. Keeping $ather in New York for so long, he was terrible as well. But then he lit a spark and swooped the axe. Now I have more trust for him. When I see GMs are accountable and I see owners care, I'm happy. Owners should swoop the axe more, how about that?

I've seen nooooooothiiiiiiiiing of effort or care from the current owner of the Canucks, transforming into the Suckucks (my own dad joke. It's terrible, I know, but it holds the boundaries of a dad joke).

No protests from you guys? Why are no fans being more vocal? I'm half a planet away, why don't you care about it more actively? Because you work and have no time for this shit? Can't fault you for that, it's per design so the cattle won't change anything.

In a comparison to WW2, I would say as a combatant entity the Canucks feel like Italy. Good soldiers, bad equipment and terrible leaders. Also very weak as a whole, naturally. With terrible leadership you will always lose in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: likash and B-rock

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I know it's in fashion to want to fire Green, Hirsch said at the end of the 3rd that he thinks he would be snapped up immediately like Gallant and that they need to move out 5 contracts instead. What are those 5 contracts? My guess, 5 of these 6; Boeser, Horvat, Pearson, Chiasson, Dickenson, Poolman.

I just wonder when people are going to start turning on the on-ice leader in Bo Horvat?

To me, this guy does not lead by example. Maybe he's a good off-ice leader (debatable), but on the ice, he's more of a soft-skill center like Brendan Morrison.

He *occasionally* drops the mitts, doesn't lay any big checks to turn momentum, shows up for the occasional break away or PP snipe, but then goes invisible for stretches. The captain should be the one leading by example, but most games isn't the best or even 2nd best player on the ice. He could play with a physical edge, but appears to prefer playing the skill game and doesn't create much or do anything to swing momentum. He's okay in the dot, but then again our PK is putrid. Is he blocking shots? How exactly is he leading this on-ice product?

So what was your opinion on Markus Naslund as captain?

Feb 20, 2013
I hope that when the whole coaching staff is gone, that Clark stays. He's the only coach doing his job well.

I too think Clark has been doing a good job with the goaltending and would like to credit him for much of the improvements that Markstrom and Bobrovsky made earlier in their careers, but there has to be a shadow of doubt creeping in now that those two are performing so well elsewhere with different coaches. Are they still benefiting from his teachings of years past, are new coaches building upon that, or have they actually independently improved their netminders?

I am sure there are stats that would give us better context, but I don't think Clark should be immune from criticism on reputation alone given Demko's struggles in certain aspects of the game this year.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I too think Clark has been doing a good job with the goaltending and would like to credit him for much of the improvements that Markstrom and Bobrovsky made earlier in their careers, but there has to be a shadow of doubt creeping in now that those two are performing so well elsewhere with different coaches. Are they still benefiting from his teachings of years past, are new coaches building upon that, or have they actually independently improved their netminders?

I am sure there are stats that would give us better context, but I don't think Clark should be immune from criticism on reputation alone given Demko's struggles in certain aspects of the game this year.
Yeah it could also be said that those guys learned from Clark and kept what he taught them to help them be better today. I don't think Demko has been perfect, but almost all of his goals this year were nearly impossible to stop due to poor coverage.

Reactions: B-rock

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
i remember the backlash MS got when he said “this is probably going to be our beat chance for a while” when we made it to the second round in the bubble

none of us expected us to be this bad this year tho

hfboards too positive?

Reactions: geebaan

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
In a comparison to WW2, I would say as a combatant entity the Canucks feel like Italy. Good soldiers, bad equipment and terrible leaders. Also very weak as a whole, naturally. With terrible leadership you will always lose in the end.

Italy at least beat the basement dwelling militaries of Ethiopia and Albania.

I'd say we are France.

We got scarred by the last war (2011) and it has left its mark on us as an organization and culture.

We have incompetent leadership comprised of ineffective old men that is trying it's hardest to win the last war, and investing in tactics and assets to win of the last war (Maginot line and 'Culture carrying vets')

Leadership doesn't lead from the frontlines, but in a bunker hundreds of miles in the rear without any telephone/telegraph system set up. (No accountability/media appearances from JB/Aqua, Gamelin in the battle of France)

Relying on outdated technology, mindset and tactics rather than keep up with the times, because their mindset is still in the first world war (defense vs offense, investment in infantry vs aircraft/tanks, throwing draft picks away for older 'established' vets, focusing on size and players who 'make a good first pass')

Strategy is to turtle and defend rather than attack, even with overwhelming odds in your favor, because they psychologically are already beaten by past experiences and ghosts (see. Buffalo game, France during the Invasion of Poland)

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If you didnt see kieth moon live ya cant talk about whats classics )

Step back a couple more years. If you weren't wild about the first wave of the British Invasion you can't talk about what's classic.
I might add Buddy Holly, Elvis, Roy Orbison, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Del Shannon among an earlier ilk to that mix. They got it all rolling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad