Confirmed with Link: Erne and Hirose sign 1 year deals

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
More physical, actually better with the puck (in relative terms). I much prefer Erne to the rest of that lot of players.

I don't know what the stats say, but I didn't see a really physical guy. I know he had that rep when we brought him over, but it was one of the things that disappointed me. Ehn might not be as physical, but I think he's better defensively and can line up at center without being out of place on that fourth line. I'd rather keep the organizational depth center than the organizational depth wing. It's not a big deal either way, but Erne is just...eh.

Stevie brought Erne in.

That shouldn't be reason enough to keep him but it looks like it certainly played a role.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Erne might make a solid 4th liner with Glendening and Helm. ;)

Think Hirose future is in the AHL or as a bench guy. Not sure he's going to get a real shot over some guys like Rasmussen/Zadina/Gagner. He's not very useful imo on a 4th line with the Wings. They actually need someone that's a little physical and can skate well, I guess Erne can fit that bill a little.

Depth moves, surprised they gave up on Bowey being that there isn't much depth anyways, even in the AHL. Hopefully they plan on signing someone.

2nd line center and maybe a useful defender would be nice. Back up goalie, or solid goalie.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Cheaper than last year... Solid
So here's the thing.....

Stevie decided not to give Erne a QO to save $160k for one season!

Anyone who thinks we're gonna go crazy spending big bucks in free agency is setting up for a disappointment. Obviously the team needs a goalie, but this move makes me question if he's gonna get another veteran D.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
So here's the thing.....

Anyone who thinks we're gonna go crazy spending big bucks in free agency is setting up for a disappointment. Obviously the team needs a goalie, but this move makes me question if he's gonna get another veteran D.

Meh. I think that’s more so just Yzerman being in the position of power. We could risk losing Ehn, so it makes no sense to stick to his QO if you can save some money. And in this climate, Erne was probably just happy to get a contract offer - especially from a team where he can still compete for a roster spot.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
So here's the thing.....

Erne didn't deserve a raise though, that's as likely, if not more likely the reason he wasn't QO'd.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fine with this, as we still need depth. Hirose is definitely not going to be an NHL player though unless he gets bigger/tougher. Erne needs to bring what he has to the table, being a physical pest which he didn't do anywhere near as much as TB fans made it seem like. Said we would love him, and he was underwhelming to say the least.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Meh. I think that’s more so just Yzerman being in the position of power. We could risk losing Ehn, so it makes no sense to stick to his QO if you can save some money. And in this climate, Erne was probably just happy to get a contract offer - especially from a team where he can still compete for a roster spot.
NHL GMs don't flex their muscles for $160k.....

Sounds to me like Chris set an internal cap.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
re-signing erne before ehn? ok...
not going to lose any sleep over losing ehn, of course. but to me he is a more useful player.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And yet SY was still able to purchase a 2nd round pick in the Marc Staal deal? For over 4m in actual cash?
$3.2M since the Rangers will be paying the signing bonus. A 7D costs $1M, so actual net difference is less than $2M versus signing an UFA.

I actually think this $2M is what Stevie is trying to compensate for... Pretty sure Chris put an internal cap, Bobby Ryan for $1M and Merril for $925k?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
QO is 110%, so it would have been slightly higher. Definitely pinching pennies though.

110% only goes up to $660k. $660k - 1M is 105%, which is where Erne's base salary fell.

But yea, the difference is around a half of what Erne is likely to get paid per point :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad