Confirmed with Link: Erne and Hirose sign 1 year deals

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It's only one year deals so it's no big deal. I'm just curious as to what made these two stand out from the rest. I would have easily lumped these two with Ehn, Perlini, etc.

These weren't the only two, they were just the first to sign (perhaps just signed the QO?). Timashov and Wood also got qualified.

As far as Erne and Hirose go... Hirose makes a lot of sense because he still has a year left of waiver exemption and can go back to GR or get assigned elsewhere depending on what happens with the AHL. With Erne, clearly Yzerman must know he's capable of more considering he drafted him, watched him develop in Tampa and went out of his way to bring him to Detroit. It also helps that Erne isn't completely useless playing on the 4th line like some of the other guys were.

I'm not surprised with Bowey at this point. I figured maybe they'd keep him around because he'd at least be a huge boost to the offense in GR if he doesn't make the NHL roster, but then they'd have a huge logjam with Hicketts, McIlrath and Lashoff already counting as vets, and Wood also in the mix for regular playing time. At the very least, you can get "all the tools, but no tool box" skilled but defensively challenged dmen on the UFA market for league minimum two-way contracts, so Bowey's QO was more than he's worth.

Perlini's makes sense. Wings were his second change of scenery since his stock dropped in Arizona and it didn't work out. I'm guessing if the Wings were interested in bringing him back it would be for league minimum and on a two-way, so no need to make his QO anyway. But he also proved to be pretty useless in a bottom six role where Givani Smith and possibly Svechnikov make more sense.

Ehn is kind of surprising because I thought he was OK in the role he was given and obviously being a center usually carries a bit more weight. Someone pointed out in the QO thread that he has the lowest points for a Red Wing in their first how ever many games, but to be fair to Ehn he was given mostly defensive and PK assignments on a team that's offensively challenged anyway. All that said, he does kind of fall into that Cory Emmerton or Joakim Andersson warm body center category where he's pretty expendable. I'm guessing the Wings feel they can replace him with Turgeon or Pearson. That or Yzerman is planning to sign or acquire another NHL center, which would push Ehn further down the depth chart.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Perlini and Ehn should be gone

Edit: apparently they weren’t qualified, good news

It's only one year deals so it's no big deal. I'm just curious as to what made these two stand out from the rest. I would have easily lumped these two with Ehn, Perlini, etc.

I mean you still can but we need warm bodies to fill out a roster so eventually you have to choose

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Is Hirose UFA after this deal?

I know other posters said that he's not a UFA after this year, but I think it's dependent on how many games he plays this upcoming season. There are different groups of UFAs, and if a player is 25 years old (which Hirose will be by the time next offseason begins) and has played fewer than 80 NHL games (he's currently at 36) then the players is deemed to be a UFA.

So in short, if he plays fewer than 44 games this season, then it will actually be a UFA.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Hirose's 25th Bday is actually right on the cutoff date for Group VI UFA. If he was born one day later, he'd be an RFA again next summer.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't really get this?

What would make him a good winger?
Skates well in the forward direction, good shot both wrister and slapper, cycles the puck really well, can be physical when necessary and right handed. Definitely capable of scoring more goals than anyone that played on the 4th line last season.

Reactions: RedMenace

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really hope that they aren't going to sign Rasmussen out of a roster spot. Zadina went back home to get game work in; Seider stayed home and is now in Sweden to get game work in. Both I would anticipate being pulled back to Detroit for the start of the season. Veleno is in Sweden, McIsaac in Finland on full year basis, in quality leagues.

Sending Ras to a low level Austrian league and turning that into a full season situation would be a big mistake in my mind. I want him in the NHL, but if we are going to leave him in Europe for a full season, he needs to be in a better league.

With as connected as they are in Sweden, I think they should sit down with Ras and discuss getting him to the SHL for a full season.

I would not have signed Hirose. Could take or leave Erne, I get that Stevie likes him so he is going to get his third and final chance with him it would seem.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
With as connected as they are in Sweden, I think they should sit down with Ras and discuss getting him to the SHL for a full season.

Would like to see him at Liiga. KooKoo missed getting Joakim Andersson as their 1st line center, because he failed physical.

Michael Rasmussen plays the same game as Andersson did, and should fit well on that team. Too bad Libor Sulak is not there anymore. Would have been nice axel for point-shots and screens/tip-ins.

Brattström is already there. They should be familiar from prospect camps.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Taro has skill. Would like him and Timashov on lower lines to add offensive depth. This team needs to score more

Hirose's problem at the NHL level in a depth role is there is more scoring with him on the ice, just not on our team. He isn't really equipped to play that role, he sort of needs a top 6 role which he isn't good enough for at this level and doesn't have enough grind to slug it out down the lineup. I think he is going to be a wonderful player in the AHL and Europe, I don't see a NHL player in him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Would like to see him at Liiga. KooKoo missed getting Joakim Andersson as their 1st line center, because he failed physical.

Michael Rasmussen plays the same game as Andersson did, and should fit well on that team. Too bad Libor Sulak is not there anymore. Would have been nice axel for point-shots and screens/tip-ins.

Brattström is already there. They should be familiar from prospect camps.

Finland has similar logic to me, so that would be fine. I want to make sure these guys get a substantial amount of hockey is what I am after. I don't care about them playing January through early April over here right now. They should be back for some partial seasons or decision making based on the likely calendar. But we will see, I think Ras like Zadina and Svechnikov might be somebody they don't want to loan without immediate call-back situations. Some of the names opening up in free agency might change that to where a longer better league loan makes more sense.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hirose's problem at the NHL level in a depth role is there is more scoring with him on the ice, just not on our team. He isn't really equipped to play that role, he sort of needs a top 6 role which he isn't good enough for at this level and doesn't have enough grind to slug it out down the lineup. I think he is going to be a wonderful player in the AHL and Europe, I don't see a NHL player in him.
Depends on how much bulk he can put on. The league figured out they can just run him over, and that's where things fell apart.

So he gets another year to add 20 lbs. If he doesn't, then he's gone, and probably coaches somewhere.

Reactions: RedMenace
Oct 18, 2006
Disappointed about Ehn. I like him. Good size, good speed. Yes that’s about all he brought but I feel like there was some skill there. Like sure he’ll never contribute a whole lot but I thought he was solid and was a useful body.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad