Prospect Info: Erik Portillo, G, 67th 2019, University of Michigan

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
He took a nap late in the 3rd
Maybe that was the case. It was only an exhibition match and they were up big. Why not throw in a cold goalie with 11 minutes left? What's he going to do, give up a goal almost immediately?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I read two reports that seem to indicate that Jack Leavy came on to relieve Portillo with no mention of injury or anything else regarding Portillo. Perhaps this was planned?

Michigan Daily:

"Sophomore goaltender Erik Portillo saved 17 shots in 41 minutes of action. Portillo, along with a stout performance from his blueliners, held Bowling Green scoreless for most of the game. Senior goaltender Jack Leavy relived Portillo and shortly gave up a rebound goal. Aside from that, however, the back end was difficult to penetrate."

Note - the box score showed 19 saves in 51 minutes. Maybe the reporter had to take a dump and missed some action
MGoBlue.com:

"Fans.... were treated to an offensive display from the opening whistle, while sophomore netminder Erik Portillo was sturdy in net, turning aside 17 shots to pitch a shutout in his two and a half periods of play."

"Goaltender Jack Leavy came on in relief of Portillo after the halfway point of the third period. Bowling Green got on the board to make it 7-1 with 5:38 left to play when Coale Norris, brother of former Wolverine, Josh, pounced on a bouncing puck in front of Leavy and buried a rebound."

Box score on Portillo 19 saves (6/9/4), 0 GA, 51 minutes​

Looks like both reporters needed to shake off some preseason cobwebs

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At one point last night they were out shot 10 to 1 and 12 to 3 when you MD scored the first goal. Everyone eas singing his praises for holding them in the game until they got their legs going at which point they roared back with five straight.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Portillo plays behind a guy who chose to come back and all but guarantee they win a national championship so I'm thinking there's a good chance he signs.

I don't think either Portillo or Levi walk as a UFA. All I was pointing out was that the concern over Levi walking is overstated.

The only college guy of note that I think is a reasonable flight risk is Johnson because he can walk after the 22-23 season and the young depth the Sabres have at LHD.

With the current situation in net with the Sabres organization, I think that the odds of Portillo and Levi both signing here is really high. Most of the Levi stuff is from when he was drafted by Florida who already had Bob & Knight ahead of him in the pecking order.

There isn't that stud #1 with a long term deal and a 1st round goalie ahead of Levi, or Portillo, here. If UPL doesn't look amazing this season, that makes signing here even more attractive, IMO.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
A little worried about him pulling a Cal Petersen on us.

I'm going to go wayyyyyyyyyy out on a limb here and say that both Portillo AND Levi are signing with the Sabres when they want to and when the Sabres think it's right.

I wouldn't expect either to sign until after next season though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Again, he's the difference in the game that is now 2-2 late in the third. Michigan has him to thank for it being tied.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Firing up Big 10 Network to see Portillo and Power taking on the only team PegulaBucks has actually ever built... Penn St.

Reactions: mrbazman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad