Prospect Info: Erik Portillo, G, 67th 2019, University of Michigan

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
What is this animal?

One you really don’t want to f*** with. They’re nasty bastards.

It looks silly as a cartoon though.

5b781737f5a28752aa2a502b0fc0af03.jpg

Reactions: JesterCheese

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
NHL top 10 goalie prospects, 2021 edition: Askarov and Knight lead Wheeler's ranking of the best drafted goalies

10. Erik Portillo, G, 20 (Buffalo Sabres — 67th overall, 2019)

The last spot on this list came down to Portillo and fellow Sabres prospect Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. I lean Portillo because I think his upside is higher at this point. He was in a weird situation in his freshman year at the University of Michigan because he had to play behind standout college hockey senior and captain Strauss Mann. But he has now played at a high level in Sweden’s junior ranks, the USHL and the NCAA. And I fully expect him to run with the job at Michigan this season, backstopping what should be one of the better teams in the country. Portillo is massive, with a 6-foot-6, 225-pound frame. But he has also honed a poised, deep-in-his net style that rarely sees him overcommit to shooters or caught in scrambles. When he’s dialed in, he takes away a shooter’s locations in the net and looks unbeatable. If he can eliminate some of the soft goals that find their way through, I see real upside in his game. He’s got impressive coordination and mobility for a goalie as big and heavy as he is.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Was Levi on the list? Not sure I agree with Portillo over UPL.
UPL seemed to struggle a bit in buffalo and Rochester while seemed like portillo took advantage of his little ice time in college.

Maybe recency bias, maybe development paths. I think I might have had portillo ahead on that ranking last week

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->