Erik Karlsson's another bad start to a season, 1 assist, -6 for 3 first games

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Jones is bad and the forwards are too slow to back check. Burns looked horrible defensively. That was my observation from the game I watched. Only thing bad about EK i noticed was he lost a huge step in his acceleration which is really dragging his transition game where most of his play making/assists come from.

Reactions: johan f

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Anyway it's sad to watch Karlsson now, it wasn't so long ago that he used to be the best player on the ice every game. Now he skates slower and uses more effort to do it. He's routinely gassed, I don't think that was ever a thing in his Ottawa days.

I think this is it. Karlsson used to make it look effortless. His skating was so great that his game was built around it. Looking at the video in OP of the Schenn goal, Karlsson could have ended that sequence before it really began with a hip check on Kyrou, but he doesn't. He pivots to chase. He wants to skate him down. Old Karlsson might be able to win that footrace but new Karlsson can't. There was a time when I'd argue he was one of the best in the league but that's in the rearview mirror now. It's a shame, I really liked his play.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well, in that case, "-Sens fan and Hundreds of Habs fans" would be the correction to your post.

This is the original post, over 6 years ago.

GDT: - Habs @ Sens

Since then, it has only been discussed by Habs fans. No rispek at all.

To be honest, I was expecting something a bit more controversial than one exuberant fan after 1 period of play in pre-season but whatever.

You can search for specific multi-word terms by putting them in "quotation marks" to avoid getting results with one word or the other.

Honestly thank you for finding that. What a blast from the past.

That is the post, that's the one. I remember it clear as day as soon as I read it.

Reactions: NyQuil

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I mean I do not watch him anymore but by point watching, he does indeed have 95P in hs last 109 games, which is pretty remarkable.

His D was never great even in his prime Ottawa days but his skating got him away from trouble. The Schenn goal would have been cut off before the net with the old EK and the Kyrou play would have been him skating with him down the boards.

Anyway, nearly a PPG in his last two seasons in still incredible.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No chance he makes the HOF at this rate.

The hall of fame is a joke anyway, the requirements are so subjective.

In terms of pure quality of player, Karlsson's peak with the Senators is some of the most dominant hockey I've ever seen from a defenseman. Lidstrom and Bourque are the only 2 guys I'd say were unquestionably better that prime Karlsson since I started watching hockey in the late 80s.

Is that enough to get into the hall of fame? 2 norris trophies?

Probably not. We still have some more Oiler's and Habs alumni to get in there.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
The 2 plays posted above have nothing to do with injuries though. These were cases of horrible positioning, defensive awareness and anticipation of the play. Pretty pathetic for a multiple time Norris Trophy winner.
When you can make up with poor positioning with elite elite ELITE skating. He was never a good defensively. He had the puck on his stick half the game. That was do all to skill

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Karlsson & Doughty are candidates to really turn their careers back up in a few years

Doughty already got mad when some reporters didn't have him on their Team Canada.

Karlsson will probably get mad after the first rumblings on him not making Team Sweden

Selanne was 34-35 when he fixed his knee, and started a "new" career.

I'm guessing they both still have it in them to be elite or at least #1 defensemen for multiple years.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I know the Karlsson hype was insane at one point, but it’s kind of depressing how many people don’t appreciate Karlsson (even more so that people actively look for reasons to diss him). One of the most gifted players I’ve ever seen, and he played like it.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I know the Karlsson hype was insane at one point, but it’s kind of depressing how many people don’t appreciate Karlsson (even more so that people actively look for reasons to diss him). One of the most gifted players I’ve ever seen, and he played like it.

I wonder if that would happen if there weren't so many people trying to pretend he didn't and doesn't have major defensive deficiencies?

Seems to me that when people make out and out untrue claims then others wouldn't have to point out the inaccuracies.

Karlsson was one of the better offensive dmen I've ever seen play, I have no problem with that fact.

Where I see discussions getting out of hand is when people on the flip side don't admit he is not a good defensive player. :dunno:

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Lol if Doug Wilson is in the HHOF, Erik Karlsson is a lock.

I mean Wilson was still over a point per game at age 33. And he didnt appear to drop off of a steep cliff in terms of play at any point, or at least not until very late in his career.

And his regular season and playoff numbers are similar to Karlssons, but with 300 more games to show for it. He didnt have the same level of peak, but consistency is in his favour big time right now.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I appreciate his offensive talent. Almost PPG is impressive. I also appreciate the multiple high scoring opportunities he will hand gift my team when we play him.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I mean Wilson was still over a point per game at age 33. And he didnt appear to drop off of a steep cliff in terms of play at any point, or at least not until very late in his career.

And his regular season and playoff numbers are similar to Karlssons, but with 300 more games to show for it. He didnt have the same level of peak, but consistency is in his favour big time right now.

He also played in the 80s and 90s, where is was just a little bit easier to put up points.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

The thing is though that even his biggest fans from Sens land (myself included) believe that some of the criticism is warranted.

Its not that he wasnt one of the most special players in the NHL for the better part of a decade. Or that he doesnt deserve the praise for his play during that time anymore - its that hes getting paid for the next 8 years like hes still that same player. And sadly, he is not that player anymore. Not even close, depending on who you ask I guess.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
What's the over/under on the phrase "peak Karlsson" being used?

20?

30?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He also played in the 80s and 90s, where is was just a little bit easier to put up points.

Easy cop-out. Yes his numbers along with Gretzky and the other stars of the 80's benefited from the higher scoring era.

But they were still the best players in the league for a generation.. And Wilson even won a Norris to show for all he did. Why should they be excluded because of when they played in the NHL?

I think/hope that Karlsson gets in one day. And Doug Wilson is a great comparable for him when he makes his case. And I will have no problem with either being there when its all said and done.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Easy cop-out. Yes his numbers along with Gretzky and the other stars of the 80's benefited from the higher scoring era.

But they were still the best in the league.. Wilson won a Norris to show for it.

I think/hope that Karlsson gets in one day. And Doug Wilson is a great comparable for him when he makes his case. And I will have no problem with either being there when its all said and done.

I'm not saying that Wilson shouldn't be in there, I'm saying that Karlsson was 2x the player Wilson was. You're not going to find any dmen with 2 Norris trophies and 4 1st All-Star teams now in the HHOF.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm not saying that Wilson shouldn't be in there, I'm saying that Karlsson was 2x the player Wilson was. You're not going to find any dmen with 2 Norris trophies and 4 1st All-Star teams now in the HHOF.

And I hope EK gets in one day... Im responding to the LOLs @ Doug Wilson...

So where do we go from here..lol?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

Thanks for pointing out some facts. Wilson was a superb dman who played all three zones well above average during his career.

Anyone that would question his worthiness of being in the HHOF probably never ever saw him play. He should have been inducted years before he was.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
But they were still the best players in the league for a generation.. And Wilson even won a Norris to show for all he did. Why should they be excluded because of when they played in the NHL?

All credit for his Norris season, but Wilson absolutely wasn't among "the best players in the league for a generation" in any meaningful sense.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
All credit for his Norris season, but Wilson absolutely wasn't among "the best players in the league for a generation" in any meaningful sense.

Wrong. In the 80s he was easily considered a top 5-10 dman who showed up in both the regular season and playoffs. His Norris is proof you are wrong - keep in mind that it was just as much based on reputation then as it today.

This wasnt Mike Green or whatever you seem to be implying here.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He was in Norris top 10 four times in his career, like Kevin Lowe minus the cups. Mike Green made it only three times, that much is true.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Unfortunately for the Sharks its not the only brutal one on the roster. They have a penchant for signing multiple players who will soon be or are... on the downside of their career for a lot of money for very long terms... Karlsson (35 in 2024-25 season), Burns (40 in 2024-25 season) , Vlasic (38 in 2024-25 season) , Couture (36 in 2024-25 season) , Kane (34 in 2024-25 season).

You guys just trying to one up the Kings! But we have the advantage this season with 2 giant buyouts as well! That’s not even counting that Richards contract loophole!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad