Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Gotta keep in mind too, hopefully a full year of Cirelli and maybe (per RSchmitz and hoses knowledge) Jospeh comes in as the 3RW. That gives us enough youth and depth to get maybe half of Johnson's production each and then Faulk adding offense from the backend. We wouldn't really miss out on the lack of production. Then in 2019, two guys with a full year under their belts can share the weight with possibly Volkov.

If we got Karlsson, we don't have an option. That's strictly our plan starting next summer. Remove two middle six guys and insert rookies. Karlsson is the best OFD, but we still need guys capable of playing the 2nd and 3rd line.
You have me more interested I Faulk now. Gutting our prospect pool doesn't seem like the wise choice in hindsight. Would be nice if a guy like dumba was available too. Then would could have more options. I created a thread awhile back about him and wild fans did not recieve that well.

Reactions: Stammertime91

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There's no chance I'm giving up both Sergachev and Foote for anybody. Stop with the Stralman at 5mil talk, has anybody watched him play the past year and a half? That's not a 5mil player, Cernak can come in next year and be a rock defensively like him and with Stralman having no offense anymore we don't miss much there.

I like Faulk and mentioned Faulk for Johnson many times which I would do. I would however not touch that shitty Stephens + Katchouk + pick offer. Faulk can be had cheaper as he just had a bad season and I'm not trading Katchouk for anybody. Palat has just 4 years left, Katchouk is that replacement and will be up maybe even next year, he's a keeper. The issue with Faulk is he will want what Mcdonagh makes in two years and I'd rather pay Karlsson 10.5 than Faulk 6.5.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I understand but he's one of the few pieces we can afford to lose that has a lot of value. Heea signed, a 50pt guy with a lot of experience. Can play C/RW as opposed to just getting surpassed by Gourde this year. Gourde is his replacement who is a true winger. We can let Volkov take a look and hope him or Raddysh get a spot and thrive giving us scoring depth on the wing. I like Johnson but he's falling down the lineup and he's expendable. We could also move Gourde but I'm not sure the Canes would take that considering he's a UFA after this season.

Saying we can trade Johnson is like saying we might find a unicorn who can play RD and kill penalties. It's like, yeah, if we can find one, great. But I don't see how it can happen because unicorns don't exist. How do we get Johnson to waive a NTC from a contending team in a tax-free state? We've never successfully gotten a player to waive a full NTC. They waive to come here, but not leave.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Saying we can trade Johnson is like saying we might find a unicorn who can play RD and kill penalties. It's like, yeah, if we can find one, great. But I don't see how it can happen because unicorns don't exist. How do we get Johnson to waive a NTC from a contending team in a tax-free state? We've never successfully gotten a player to waive a full NTC. They waive to come here, but not leave.

And saying we can't isn't indicative of how it would go if we sent Johnson to Carolina, Anaheim or a team that even contends. I mean I can't list out teams cause there's nothing concrete nor is there an indication we are even entertaining moving him.

Who has Yzerman asked before to waive that denied it? This is first I am hearing of this.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
#Karlssonorbust

I'm with you on this. Go big or go home. With Karlsson we should win the Cup. Not that we need him to in order to do it, it's just that some time about 9 years ago there was a press conference with this Massachusetts businessman who promised a world class organization. With Karlsson on the team not only is that dream realized but it will endure indefinitely like all the most beautiful things that ever came before us in the days before a cap era.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
So it now seems that Dallas have come out of the blue and are now the front runner for Karlsson, could generally be true but does sound like Ottawa are trying to get other clubs to raise there offers?.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Guys like Johnson and Killorn have to start seeing the writing on the wall. Flr Johnson he lost his 2C to Point and has been moved to the wing. Gourde outperformed him last year and could possibly push him down to the 3rd line. I know he probably likes it here and will make a few more bucks but he's a professional and will want to play as much as possible, he could be motivated to get a fresh start somewhere so he can play his best. Killorn seems a little more likely to be happy with a 3rd line role and he actually plays well in that role so he might not be as interested in moving but you could always ask. As much money as they might make because it's tax free here they could still get another contract down the line and if they're stuck as 3rd line players their numbers won't be as good so going somewhere they can produce will make them more later.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Have they even ever asked anyone to waive their NTC's....?

Filppula, Brewer, Carle all had modified NTC's.

You could make the opposite statement and it'd be true as well, no one has ever refused to waive their NTC to Yzerman either.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Yzerman seems to be dicking around a bit here. He's obviously involved but doesn't seem to be the front runner. Maybe he's waiting till the end. He has a history of jumping in last minute with a bigger offer.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Yzerman seems to be dicking around a bit here. He's obviously involved but doesn't seem to be the front runner. Maybe he's waiting till the end. He has a history of jumping in last minute with a bigger offer.

I am pretty confident is yzerman constantly working to make this team better. Doesn’t always get something done, but I believe he is consistently trying. Tampa deals always seem sudden, but they are far from it.

Reactions: Sky04
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad