Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If you can keep this core together and find the cap space to fit Karlsson onto the team too, you don't need any more prospects.

Exactly. You can only fit 23 guys on a roster. Prospects don't help you when they can't get out of the AHL.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We already have a top tier roster, getting a little greedy here.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I do like the sound of Faulk. He's a good player.

Yeah and we would be able to keep Foote, Sergachev, Volkov and Raddysh. We could resign Stralman for 2 years:

2019-2020
Hedman - Faulk
McDonagh - Serg
KK - Stralman
Cernak

Even if you don't resign Stralman at over 4M for bottom pairing minutes (which would be unreal) you can use Foote who you don't trade to Ottawa. We have more flexibility this route, more depth up front and just as much depth on the blue line. The more and more I see what adding Karlsson does to the team as soon as next summer, the more I'm fine with missing out on him. Providing he goes west, no worries.

Reactions: LordZapp

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Take this for what it's worth but I guess this guy has called stuff in the past

Who are you gonna give up for Faulk?

Johnson+ We could always lose Katchouk, Raddysh or Volkov, it would just mean one of Raddysh or Volkov coming in with possibly Joseph to the lineuo needs to make up for the missing production. We also get to keep Gourde. A full season of Cirelli and offense from Faulk in place of Stralman gets it close.

Johnson, Dotchin, Raddysh and a pick would be a removal of Johnson who we can replace. He's a 3RW/Middle 6 guy who is slowly heading down the depth chart. Dotchin is redundant and would give us too many defenseman, especially as average as he was. Raddysh we can afford to lose and I wouldn't mind losing a 1st round #28-31 pick if it took it to have a top 4 of:

Hedman - Faulk
McD - Sergachev

You still keep Foote and Volkov. Faulk at 7x7 is cheaper than Karlsson and we also move 5M in Johnson. We wouldn't rely so heavily on somebody like Volkov or even putting Killorn in the top 6, again, like we would going after Karlsson.

Bottom line is, if we go after Karlsson, our middle 6 depletes. Not worth it in the long run.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Stephens, katchouk, 2019 2nd?

It's gonna take more than that. They just moved Hanifin and got Hamilton. I don't think they want to wait or take steps back.

We could move Johnson as the main piece and get rid of that 5M and term to minimize what we would add. Faulk is a 3x 15 goal RHD. He won't come cheap. He might not fetch the slight overpayment I listed above, but I'm not gonna lowball when getting rid of Raddysh won't hurt us, or Dotchin. Johnson and a high pick wouldn't hurt us either. We would finally get that RHD.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Take this for what it's worth but I guess this guy has called stuff in the past

Johnson+ We could always lose Katchouk, Raddysh or Volkov, it would just mean one of Raddysh or Volkov coming in with possibly Joseph to the lineuo needs to make up for the missing production. We also get to keep Gourde. A full season of Cirelli and offense from Faulk in place of Stralman gets it close.

Johnson, Dotchin, Raddysh and a pick would be a removal of Johnson who we can replace. He's a 3RW/Middle 6 guy who is slowly heading down the depth chart. Dotchin is redundant and would give us too many defenseman, especially as average as he was. Raddysh we can afford to lose and I wouldn't mind losing a 1st round #28-31 pick if it took it to have a top 4 of:

Hedman - Faulk
McD - Sergachev

You still keep Foote and Volkov. Faulk at 7x7 is cheaper than Karlsson and we also move 5M in Johnson. We wouldn't rely so heavily on somebody like Volkov or even putting Killorn in the top 6, again, like we would going after Karlsson.

Bottom line is, if we go after Karlsson, our middle 6 depletes. Not worth it in the long run.

This guy is also reporting that there is a lot of smoke between us, edmonton, and the rangers

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
It's gonna take more than that. They just moved Hanifin and got Hamilton. I don't think they want to wait or take steps back.

We could move Johnson as the main piece and get rid of that 5M and term to minimize what we would add. Faulk is a 3x 15 goal RHD. He won't come cheap. He might not fetch the slight overpayment I listed above, but I'm not gonna lowball when getting rid of Raddysh won't hurt us, or Dotchin. Johnson and a high pick wouldn't hurt us either. We would finally get that RHD.
I'm not opposed to moving Johnson, but I also wouldn't mind if he stayed. I just hope the return will be worth the cost of losing Johnson. I still feel that he has another 70pt season in him.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I'm not opposed to moving Johnson, but I also wouldn't mind if he stayed. I just hope the return will be worth the cost of losing Johnson. I still feel that he has another 70pt season in him.

I understand but he's one of the few pieces we can afford to lose that has a lot of value. Heea signed, a 50pt guy with a lot of experience. Can play C/RW as opposed to just getting surpassed by Gourde this year. Gourde is his replacement who is a true winger. We can let Volkov take a look and hope him or Raddysh get a spot and thrive giving us scoring depth on the wing. I like Johnson but he's falling down the lineup and he's expendable. We could also move Gourde but I'm not sure the Canes would take that considering he's a UFA after this season.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
I understand but he's one of the few pieces we can afford to lose that has a lot of value. Heea signed, a 50pt guy with a lot of experience. Can play C/RW as opposed to just getting surpassed by Gourde this year. Gourde is his replacement who is a true winger. We can let Volkov take a look and hope him or Raddysh get a spot and thrive giving us scoring depth on the wing. I like Johnson but he's falling down the lineup and he's expendable. We could also move Gourde but I'm not sure the Canes would take that considering he's a UFA after this season.
That's true, big IF that volkov or raddysh produce near what Johnson has. But i think thats a worthwhile risk to take if it lands us a solid top 4 RHD.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I believe a lot on Volkov. I've seen him during last preseason games and I think he's a very good prospect...

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
That's true, big IF that volkov or raddysh produce near what Johnson has. But i think thats a worthwhile risk to take if it lands us a solid top 4 RHD.

Gotta keep in mind too, hopefully a full year of Cirelli and maybe (per RSchmitz and hoses knowledge) Jospeh comes in as the 3RW. That gives us enough youth and depth to get maybe half of Johnson's production each and then Faulk adding offense from the backend. We wouldn't really miss out on the lack of production. Then in 2019, two guys with a full year under their belts can share the weight with possibly Volkov.

If we got Karlsson, we don't have an option. That's strictly our plan starting next summer. Remove two middle six guys and insert rookies. Karlsson is the best OFD, but we still need guys capable of playing the 2nd and 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad