Erik Karlsson: stays or goes; and how much

Double poll, 2 responses

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't think he will stay in San Jose, he'll want to be the clear #1. He doesn't get to play his game with Burns there.

Reactions: Voight

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
If San Jose chokes in the playoffs or wins the Cup he'll bolt. If they lose in the WCF I can see him maybe re-signing, but that's a risky team to be on long-term and signing for anything short-term would be dumb on his part.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Can't see how he doesn't want to be close to Ottawa. Home is where the heart is. EK to Montreal, 7 x 11m

Weber/Petry traded for LD

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
If San Jose chokes in the playoffs or wins the Cup he'll bolt. If they lose in the WCF I can see him maybe re-signing, but that's a risky team to be on long-term and signing for anything short-term would be dumb on his part.

Interesting take...

He wins the cup = he leaves
He loses in the finals = he stays

lB5wmMp.png

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Can't see how he doesn't want to be close to Ottawa. Home is where the heart is. EK to Montreal, 7 x 11m

Weber/Petry traded for LD

Not getting crap for Weber unless they retain.

Also, elite players typically dont sign or want to sign with the Habs.

Interesting take...

lB5wmMp.png

If he wins the cup he has nothing else left to accomplish so he can just go for a massive payday and sign w/ the highest bidder.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Interesting take...

lB5wmMp.png
Coming that close with a team might be something that gets him to stay. Take care of unfinished business.
If SJ wins now, he can cash in elsewhere, knowing he has a Cup.
Not that weird a concept, really.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Tampa for 8mil causing HFB meltdown.
That would just be so stupid. Then we are just looking at a Golden State situation in the NHL, which, lets be honest here, is pretty shitty for 30 other fanbases and the long term health of the league as we would all know the champion from day one... for years.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
That would just be so stupid. Then we are just looking at a Golden State situation in the NHL, which, lets be honest here, is pretty ****ty for 30 other fanbases and the long term health of the league as we would all know the champion from day one... for years.

I'm good with that :naughty: :nod:

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I don't know the guy or the specifics of his situation to offer better insights than Sharks or Sens fans.

But here's what I know: if my wife and I had been through the ringer like the Karlssons have - losing a baby, bonkers workplace strife - I would prioritize lifestyle over professional success. That doesn't mean I wouldn't value professional success (e.g. obviously playoffs > bottom feeder). It's just that winning a Cup - and playing a game - would matter less than being a happy human away from work.

Here's what I see:
1) Leaving Ottawa and "home" is already done. The bandaid is ripped off in terms of their close ties there. So now it's just a question of where to find happiness on the home front.
2) San Jose has a head start on sorting this all out for them and can offer: sunshine, relative local anonymity, a good team that's a solid bet for the playoffs in the near-term, the option of an 8th year.

So, based on all of this, I think it's pretty obvious EK will sign with the Vancouver Canucks as soon as he's able.

Cheers.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not getting crap for Weber unless they retain.

Also, elite players typically dont sign or want to sign with the Habs.

If he wins the cup he has nothing else left to accomplish so he can just go for a massive payday and sign w/ the highest bidder.

SJ is going to be the highest bidder. They can offer an 8th year at whatever cap hit he asks for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad