Erik Karlsson staying a Senator after Mike Hoffman trade?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You have to think the odds are low.

And it's not even about EK specifically. He's going to be 29 next summer and hits the FA for the first and probably last time. This would be a big decision for anyone.

Logic says any player in that same situation would not look at the Senators and say this is where i want to go, they have given zero reason to believe it would be a decision that works out in the end.

EK has to feel really strongly about living in Ottawa and that's putting it lightly, purely from hockey side of things odds should be 0%.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You have to think the odds are low.

And it's not even about EK specifically. He's going to be 29 next summer and hits the FA for the first and probably last time. This would be a big decision for anyone.

Logic says any player in that same situation would not look at the Senators and say this is where i want to go, they have given zero reason to believe it would be a decision that works out in the end.

EK has to feel really strongly about living in Ottawa and that's putting it lightly, purely from hockey side of things odds should be 0%.
All indicators suggest that the Sens will have new ownership by the time EK's contract expires. The hockey side of things will change dramatically when this happens.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
All indicators suggest that the Sens will have new ownership by the time EK's contract expires. The hockey side of things will change dramatically when this happens.
What are these indicators that you will have new ownership in the next year? I mean it's possible I missed something....but other people wanting him to sell the team doesn't make the team for sale. And unless I missed the headline I didn't hear that Melnyk is actually looking to sell it. Which is all that really matters.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Getting rid of Hoffman doesn't erase the other toxic situations or the losing. There are lots of reasons for him to want to play somewhere else.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Long before the Hoffman stuff came out. Long before Melnyk's outburst mid season. Long before the season went spiralling down the drain, I predicted Ottawa would have to trade Karlsson.

They are trading him. He won't re-sign there.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What are these indicators that you will have new ownership in the next year? I mean it's possible I missed something....but other people wanting him to sell the team doesn't make the team for sale. And unless I missed the headline I didn't hear that Melnyk is actually looking to sell it. Which is all that really matters.
Go examine Melnyk's behaviour in the last 12 months and find a single action that points to him staying on long term.

Here are some of the highlights.
Publically undermines the Lebreton Bid THAT HE IS A PART OF and suggests that the team can just stay in Kanata.
Loses the CEO he brought in to oversee the project, Anselmi, and then appoints himself to the job and doesn't bother replacing him.
Is selling off assets in every trade to cut costs and has no prospects of financing for the move to Lebreton.
Publically alienates the fanbase by suggesting the team "would look very good elsewhere".
Retains the entire coaching staff after a 2nd last place finish because he is too cheap to pay them and their replacements.
Brags about running the smallest hockey ops group in the NHL.

All this coming off a year where Forbes estimates they had operating income of 27M (expansion included)

His latest text exchange with Ian Mendez stated Melnyk said "he hadn't received any WORTHWHILE offers for the team".

Eugene is selling, the only question is how much damage he will do before we are rid of him.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Go examine Melnyk's behaviour in the last 12 months and find a single action that points to him staying on long term.

Here are some of the highlights.
Publically undermines the Lebreton Bid THAT HE IS A PART OF and suggests that the team can just stay in Kanata.
Loses the CEO he brought in to oversee the project, Anselmi, and then appoints himself to the job and doesn't bother replacing him.
Is selling off assets in every trade to cut costs and has no prospects of financing for the move to Lebreton.
Publically alienates the fanbase by suggesting the team "would look very good elsewhere".
Retains the entire coaching staff after a 2nd last place finish because he is too cheap to pay them and their replacements.
Brags about running the smallest hockey ops group in the NHL.

All this coming off a year where Forbes estimates they had operating income of 27M (expansion included)

His latest text exchange with Ian Mendez stated Melnyk said "he hadn't received any WORTHWHILE offers for the team".

Eugene is selling, the only question is how much damage he will do before we are rid of him.
Look I honestly hope that he does sell the team no matter how much I dislike the Sens as a team I would hate to see the situation go badly and the team end up leaving or something but everything you listed there is just more so showing what a bad owner Melnyk is not really anything even close to resembling evidence a sale is coming within the next year. I mean first of all a prospective buyer would be a nice place to start from. It is also a long process to begin with to assume that it will start and finish before Karlsson's contract runs out.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

What indicators, exactly? #MelnykOut? Or Melnyk unequivocally stating that he will not sell the team?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Better than before, but the ball is still in Erik's court here. If he wants to go to a contender, or wants to get out of the media spotlight, or even if he thinks he can make more after tax in other markets, he will leave.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What indicators, exactly? #MelnykOut? Or Melnyk unequivocally stating that he will not sell the team?

This week Melnyk stated he hadn't received any "worthwhile" offers. Which means he is discussing a sale of the team with prospective buyers.

What happens with negotiations when he gets a number he likes?

What happens with the negotiations when a fan boycott gets him to lower his ask?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This makes me feel bad for Sens fans. You guys don't deserve this one bit.

I think Winnipeg would be a great overall destination for him. If he goes there I think he WILL win the Norris trophy and find his way back again.
Winnipeg? Wtf? You guys are loaded with RHD. The Jets are just about the last team I'd think of when considering destinations.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Look I honestly hope that he does sell the team no matter how much I dislike the Sens as a team I would hate to see the situation go badly and the team end up leaving or something but everything you listed there is just more so showing what a bad owner Melnyk is not really anything even close to resembling evidence a sale is coming within the next year. I mean first of all a prospective buyer would be a nice place to start from. It is also a long process to begin with to assume that it will start and finish before Karlsson's contract runs out.

This is not the pattern of behaviour of someone who has any long term plan to own the team.

At every step, he behaves like someone just running out the string.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Better than before, but the ball is still in Erik's court here. If he wants to go to a contender, or wants to get out of the media spotlight, or even if he thinks he can make more after tax in other markets, he will leave.

For THIS Summer, the ball is in Melnyk and Dorion's court. They can keep him to finish out his contract and try to court him to stay over the next year, or they can trade him while they'll get value.

I'm not sure Melnyk can avoid being a tire fire for 12 solid months.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Avatar bet Karlsson next contract will not be with Sens ? Come on you think Karlsson is staying should be a no brainer for you . The writing is on the wall he is not going to stick around a owner who will not spend to build a winner play in a rink they can't fill and go thru a rebuild in his prime.

I'll take this. If Karlsson signs you use my avatar for a month, if he's traded I'll use yours for a month. We can do a subheading that we lost the bet etc if you'd like.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
For THIS Summer, the ball is in Melnyk and Dorion's court. They can keep him to finish out his contract and try to court him to stay over the next year, or they can trade him while they'll get value.

The ball is firmly in Karlsson's court. He can play out the year, or go where they trade him. Melnyk and Dorion can ask him to sign an extension, if he refuses then the longer they keep him, the lower his value will be.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

If EK has indicated that he won't sign with any team until he's a UFA, then his value this summer or at the TDL will be similar and the Sens should keep him until the TDL.

If EK has indicated he won't sign with the Sens, but would discuss contracts with other teams, then his value is higher this summer and the Sens should move him.

I still he thinks he signs with Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad