Erik Karlsson staying a Senator after Mike Hoffman trade?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
No, this team is bad with him, and they’ll be the worst in the league without him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well there's 41 home games a year. Say the Sens could sell an extra 2,000 tickets if they have Karlsson vs do not have Karlsson and that the average ticket costs $120.

That's $9.84M in extra revenue. So if Melnyk thinks he can sign a guy for $3M instead of Karlsson at $12.84M he might do it.

These are totally made up numbers obviously, just saying that I could imagine a world where Melnyk thinks the better financial decision is to trade Karlsson.
there's other revenue. Jerseys. Ratings. General fan engagement. It adds up to far more than just the ticket sales imo.

That's the way that the league is unfair. Us as fans think that guys like McDavid and Ovechkin are overpaid sometimes, but we are looking at them only in terms of their contributions on the ice, for the most part. In truth, they are the most underpaid players out there when all is added. There is no way AT ALL that Melnyk would choose not to sign Karlsson.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I don't care how poor Melnyk is in comparison to the rest of the league. For a superstar of Karlsson's caliber, he gives value far exceeding his value on the ice. It is not hyperbole to suggest that whatever his salary would be, his cash return value to the team would be twice that.

Which is why in theory they should give him a competitive offer...but again, Melnyk has zero cash. While team revenue will take a huge hit, he can lower expenses to match. What he can't do is cover a lockout guaranteed contract(s) for Karlsson, duchene, stone where he might be on the hook for 20 mil in a season with no revenues. If they do lowball, this might be why.

Regardless, the above is all meaningless because no way he commits unless he has inside info that the team is being sold or will be sold in the near future. Because even with the new arena it will take Melnyk years to recover financially to the point where the sens can be competitive and ek probably goes somewhere with a chance to win.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Don't understand why Ottawa doesn't do a sign and trade and the bare minimum to increase there return.

After this wife vs wife debacle I don't see anything positive coming out of this esp if it comes out that it wasn't the Hoffmans being the cyber bully......

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Don't understand why Ottawa doesn't do a sign and trade and the bare minimum to increase there return.

After this wife vs wife debacle I don't see anything positive coming out of this esp if it comes out that it wasn't the Hoffmans being the cyber bully......
well, they can't sign him until July 1st.

This is the major reason I believe the dates for the draft and free agency should be switched. It would encourage a sign and trade since they could trade for draft picks with certainty attached, far moreso than a conditional asset could.

There's lots of other reasons too.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
well, they can't sign him until July 1st.

This is the major reason I believe the dates for the draft and free agency should be switched. It would encourage a sign and trade since they could trade for draft picks with certainty attached, far moreso than a conditional asset could.

There's lots of other reasons too.
Avatar bet he does not Stay with Sens , and his next contract signed will be with another NHL team?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Avatar bet he does not Stay with Sens , and his next contract signed will be with another NHL team?
I don't do those. Plus I do see the point that Karlsson will leave. Also, there is one piece of evidence that is troubling to Sens fans that want to keep Karlsson: that apparently he was close to being traded already, to Vegas. That could have been false rumor but I still would be worried about it.

I think there's about a 50/50 chance he stays. It's just that based on general opinion here it's more like 90% chance he leaves.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Sens cannot keep him. Canucks had a guy that lost his girlfriend. There were too many associations and he was miserable. They moved him away for low return. Karlsson has too many painful associations with Ottawa to recover.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Sens cannot keep him. Canucks had a guy that lost his girlfriend. There were too many associations and he was miserable. They moved him away for low return. Karlsson has too many painful associations with Ottawa to recover.
While this team has been a farce and you can’t really blame him for leaving, what are these painful associations? It’s one player who’s not even on the team anymore.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So much misinformation in this thread.

I pay extremely close attention to this saga.

We have zero evidence and a whole lot of negative conjecture.

Last we heard from EK was that he loves Ottawa and that it will be his home for life. He is on record as stating he wants be be paid fair market price.

Last we heard from Alfie was that EK wants to stay, but it is not in EK's control.

There has been no statements since from EK, Alfie or his agent to suggest the status has changed and that he wants out.

We know that he was furious with the troll who went after his wife on-line and that he and his wife believe it to be Hoffman's GF.

We know that the team sent Hoffman packing. We know that the trade was for a roster player and not futures. Both of these facts can easily be seen as signaling an intention to try and sign EK.

If EK knows there will be a new owner in place, then I'd put the odds at over 90% that he re-signs. With Eugene in place, I think the price tag goes up closer to McDavid and even then I'd put it at 50/50. However, unlike some others, I'm not going to post my conjecture as fact.

Reactions: topshelf15

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This makes me feel bad for Sens fans. You guys don't deserve this one bit.

I think Winnipeg would be a great overall destination for him. If he goes there I think he WILL win the Norris trophy and find his way back again.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
While this team has been a farce and you can’t really blame him for leaving, what are these painful associations? It’s one player who’s not even on the team anymore.

Well he lost a baby, and had a teammates girlfriend allegedly wish for that and then also rub it in afterwards. The owner is a cheap piece of crap. They were one of the worst teams in the league with him on the team and who is coming in to make it better?

There are very painful associations for EK and I don't think anyone could blame him for wanting a fresh start somewhere else considering everything.

If he stays well that would be pretty admirable really, but I guess people trying to think as if they were EK can't really come up with a reason he would want to stick around, and I don't think anyone can say he's wrong to want to go somewhere else for a change.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I don't do those. Plus I do see the point that Karlsson will leave. Also, there is one piece of evidence that is troubling to Sens fans that want to keep Karlsson: that apparently he was close to being traded already, to Vegas. That could have been false rumor but I still would be worried about it.

I think there's about a 50/50 chance he stays. It's just that based on general opinion here it's more like 90% chance he leaves.
Karlsson will 100% leave he asked for a trade , he is not Hamonic who will reverse it because his family member heath started to improve , So if you're not willing to bet stop trying to be a expert on Karlsson and his plans , because all indicators say exactly opposite of what you are,

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Karlsson will 100% leave he asked for a trade , he is not Hamonic who will reverse it because his family member heath started to improve , So if you're not willing to bet stop trying to be a expert on Karlsson and his plans , because all indicators say exactly opposite of what you are,
Source for Karlsson asked for a trade please?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Thanks!

As expected...no source JUST BASELESS CONJECTURE

From the article:

for Karlsson and if a request for a trade hasn’t been made, it would surprise no one if it comes. No official nor legitimate media sources have confirmed that Karlsson has officially requested he be moved via trade (we are not suggesting this has happened yet either)

This peice of crap article is exactly the kind of BS I was talking about!

Reactions: topshelf15

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Thanks!

As expected...no source JUST BASELESS CONJECTURE

From the article:

for Karlsson and if a request for a trade hasn’t been made, it would surprise no one if it comes. No official nor legitimate media sources have confirmed that Karlsson has officially requested he be moved via trade (we are not suggesting this has happened yet either)

This peice of crap article is exactly the kind of BS I was talking about!
Avatar bet Karlsson next contract will not be with Sens ? Come on you think Karlsson is staying should be a no brainer for you . The writing is on the wall he is not going to stick around a owner who will not spend to build a winner play in a rink they can't fill and go thru a rebuild in his prime.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Would you want to work Eugene Melnyk if finally given the opportunity not to?

Having worked for bad companies and bad management in the past I can not tell you how happy I was putting in my two weeks.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This makes me feel bad for Sens fans. You guys don't deserve this one bit.

I think Winnipeg would be a great overall destination for him. If he goes there I think he WILL win the Norris trophy and find his way back again.

If Karlsson goes to any good team he's guarenteed to win lots of Norris trophies.

Look at the history of the the award, most Norris winners played on stacked teams who were contenders, that Karlsson has been able to win or be a runner up every healthy season is a testament to this skill.

If he was on Washington,Pittsburgh, or Tampa he'd have been producing 80-90 point and + 30 seasons routinely.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Avatar bet Karlsson next contract will not be with Sens ? Come on you think Karlsson is staying should be a no brainer for you . The writing is on the wall he is not going to stick around a owner who will not spend to build a winner play in a rink they can't fill and go thru a rebuild in his prime.
So instead of admitting there is no trade request, you come at me with an avatar bet?

Makes perfect sense...

I respectfully decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad