Erik Karlsson staying a Senator after Mike Hoffman trade?

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Very low. If EK wants to win it won't be in Ottawa. Combine that with an owner that is looking for ways to convert assets into cash, some team will take EK and Ryan, then buy out Ryan and win.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
It alls depends on how much his wife, who is from Ottawa, wants to stay. Other than that there is no reason for him to stay in the dumpster fire that is the Ottawa Senators. This is coming from a Sens fan who would miss him a lot.

Reactions: NickLidstrom

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Maybe if Ottawa gets a new owner in the next couple months. Why would a player stay in an organization where an owner storms the dressing room during an intermission to yell at you over an Uber charge.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He should really just bolt. The team is a mess and if he wants to win his window is starting to close. It won't happen in Ottawa. Just trade for a ton of picks and stock up for the future.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
I think EK wants to sign if the money is there, now its up to the puppet Dorion to try to convince Melnyk that his franchise will take a even bigger nosedive financially if they dont sign karlsson.

If Dorion knew 100% that karl didnt want to sign, he would of not traded Hoff for this bad deal, he wouldve probably waited for something better or even wait until the case is resolved

Reactions: topshelf15

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd have to think that ditching Hoffman would be done at least in part to convince Karlsson to stay, and in doing so they feel like there is a good chance that he does choose to stay.

That tells me that there is a good chance he stays. The only ones with direct contact with Karlsson on this issue are the Senators' brass. You can't say that "of course" Karlsson wants out and pretend that is some kind of fact.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I would be absolutely shocked if Karlsson decided to stay. I’d be equally shocked if Melnyk gave him a competitive offer. The odds of BOTH of those things happening are slim to none.

He’ll be gone and I don’t blame him at all for leaving.

As for Hoffman having any bearing on this, it doesn’t in my opinion. Hoffman had to go from a PR perspective.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Very low. If EK wants to win it won't be in Ottawa. Combine that with an owner that is looking for ways to convert assets into cash, some team will take EK and Ryan, then buy out Ryan and win.

honestly forgot bobby ryan was still in the NHL

Reactions: amethyst

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's borderline no chance that he stays with the Senators. The Senators are spiraling down and their cheap owner isn't going to offer him what he's worth.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would be absolutely shocked if Karlsson decided to stay. I’d be equally shocked if Melnyk gave him a competitive offer. The odds of BOTH of those things happening are slim to none.

He’ll be gone and I don’t blame him at all for leaving.

As for Hoffman having any bearing on this, it doesn’t in my opinion. Hoffman had to go from a PR perspective.
I don't care how poor Melnyk is in comparison to the rest of the league. For a superstar of Karlsson's caliber, he gives value far exceeding his value on the ice. It is not hyperbole to suggest that whatever his salary would be, his cash return value to the team would be twice that.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Think of all the bad memories Karlsson must have the last year.

Probably better for him and his wife to move on and start somewhere new.

Probably better for Sens fans too if he moves on because it's not like him re-signing is going to make the team better, it'll just be what it already was minus Hoffman.

Feel bad for Sens fans you deserve better ownership but what can you do?

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I don't care how poor Melnyk is in comparison to the rest of the league. For a superstar of Karlsson's caliber, he gives value far exceeding his value on the ice. It is not hyperbole to suggest that whatever his salary would be, his cash return value to the team would be twice that.

Well there's 41 home games a year. Say the Sens could sell an extra 2,000 tickets if they have Karlsson vs do not have Karlsson and that the average ticket costs $120.

That's $9.84M in extra revenue. So if Melnyk thinks he can sign a guy for $3M instead of Karlsson at $12.84M he might do it.

These are totally made up numbers obviously, just saying that I could imagine a world where Melnyk thinks the better financial decision is to trade Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad