Erik Karlsson staying a Senator after Mike Hoffman trade?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If EK has indicated that he won't sign with any team until he's a UFA, then his value this summer or at the TDL will be similar and the Sens should keep him until the TDL.

If EK has indicated he won't sign with the Sens, but would discuss contracts with other teams, then his value is higher this summer and the Sens should move him.

I still he thinks he signs with Ottawa.

I respectfully argue that his value as a player Oct-Jun outweighs his value as a player Feb-Jun.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I respectfully argue that his value as a player Oct-Jun outweighs his value as a player Feb-Jun.
And I disagree.

Teams tend to overpay for talent at the TDL and especially for elite talent that can readily be viewed as critical to a successful Cup run.

In EK'S case, his value will be likely to rise as he puts the injury further in his rearview mirror. He was already much improved in the 2nd half of last season. Add in the removal of the locker room distraction with the Hoffman trade and the odds favour a return to Norris calibre play. Teams will pay a massive amount to add a Norris calibre player at the deadline.

As an added benefit for the Sens, the delay in the trade allows for more time for a sale to take place, thus increasing the odds of EK re-signing.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nope. One has nothing to do with the other. They had to move Hoffman and have the best chance of keeping Karlsson. That said, I do expect him to be traded as well.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Reminder: Karlsson isn't a UFA come July 1st 2018.
Every thread for the past year has had people thinking this is the case.

Reactions: topshelf15

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Its very difficult to say if and when Karlsson is traded but you would have to think at the draft (2018) would be one of the best times to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad