Value of: Erik Karlsson, Seth Jones swap

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What other pieces would need to be involved to make this swap work? Erik Karlsson to Chicago and Seth Jones to San Jose.

Chicago gets to move on being commited to an expensive overpaid D contract several years earlier and gets the player who is currently better (but older). They'll probably have a young high end D by the time Karlsson is old and a UFA, possibly Kochinski.

Grier is looking to put his own mark on the Sharks and move out pre-Grier players for new guys. Seth Jones probably fits the Sharks roster better long term than an aging Karlsson as well. The Sharks lack a high end D prospect like Korchinski and may not have a top pair D once Karlsson gets old. Jones is a lot younger and will be better than Karlsson 4 or 5 years from now. Probably still a top 4 D who can play big minutes and play top pair if needed.

Chicago best D = Karlsson now, Korchinski or young stud in a few years

San Jose best D = Jones now, still Jones in a few years unless they draft a stud
Karlsson would not waive his NMC for Chicago.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The numbers are so low because the Sharks have like 4 good hockey players. And this isn’t a sports hotbed like I said already. The numbers being low have 0 to do with Karlsson and they’d be lower without him.
Hey the original claim was that EK65 would be the attraction and this season it simply wasn't IMO.

But we will agree to disagree and I also don't see the Sharks being able to move that contract.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I wouldn't even give you a conditional 7th for Jones, let alone the best Defenseman in the league on a sweetheart deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad