Value of: Erik Karlsson, Seth Jones swap

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Karlsson doesn't only considerably improve every team in the NHL, he also brings attention and people to the seats - which then increases sponsorship/ad revenew.
Funny that San Jose didn't sell out every home game then eh?

This narrative simply has no viable merit one can say anything sometimes it seems and logic goes out the window.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
This makes absolutely no sense for either team.

Karlsson is in the twilight of his career. A rebuilder is not going to trade for him and the sharks are a rebuilder too.

The only way Karlsson gets moved is to a contender with a cap dump and/or retention

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
This makes absolutely no sense for either team.

Karlsson is in the twilight of his career. A rebuilder is not going to trade for him and the sharks are a rebuilder too.

The only way Karlsson gets moved is to a contender with a cap dump and/or retention
A bit of an exaggeration at 32 lol.

This trade doesn't make any sense for either team or either player.

Reactions: Gecklund

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
One player just had a season for the ages on a horrible team, the other player is one of the worst contracts in the league… lemme think about this one…

Reactions: Grinner

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

This narrative simply has no viable merit one can say anything sometimes it seems and logic goes out the window.
It’s not like SJ is some hockey hotbed. All sports teams in NorCal go through bad ticket sales when they are bad. Kings, Warriors, Sharks, Earthquakes. I don’t think Niners or Raiders did but that’s because football. I genuinely have no idea about Giants or A’s.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Silly proposal. Hard no from the Hawks and San Jose will feel similarly. And neither player is going to waive their NTC to go to the other.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
It’s not like SJ is some hockey hotbed. All sports teams in NorCal go through bad ticket sales when they are bad. Kings, Warriors, Sharks, Earthquakes. I don’t think Niners or Raiders did but that’s because football. I genuinely have no idea about Giants or A’s.
Yes to both NFL teams and both MLB teams having a great deal of empty seats when they are losing. Now the 49ers still technically sell out, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the stands

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

Don't talk about lack of logic when you take "bring people to the seats" as "sell out every home game".

Reactions: Viqsi and Play

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Don't talk about lack of logic when you take "bring people to the seats" as "sell out every home game".

The fact remains that attendance was down in San Jose from when they were winning and most other teams have very good attendance so even adding any player isn't going to change that it was a weak argument IMO for those reasons.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The fact remains that attendance was down in San Jose from when they were winning and most other teams have very good attendance so even adding any player isn't going to change that it was a weak argument IMO for those reasons.
You’re proven wrong and you double down? Hell I’m stubborn too but this is a new level.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
What other pieces would need to be involved to make this swap work? Erik Karlsson to Chicago and Seth Jones to San Jose.

Chicago gets to move on being commited to an expensive overpaid D contract several years earlier and gets the player who is currently better (but older). They'll probably have a young high end D by the time Karlsson is old and a UFA, possibly Kochinski.

Grier is looking to put his own mark on the Sharks and move out pre-Grier players for new guys. Seth Jones probably fits the Sharks roster better long term than an aging Karlsson as well. The Sharks lack a high end D prospect like Korchinski and may not have a top pair D once Karlsson gets old. Jones is a lot younger and will be better than Karlsson 4 or 5 years from now. Probably still a top 4 D who can play big minutes and play top pair if needed.

Chicago best D = Karlsson now, Korchinski or young stud in a few years

San Jose best D = Jones now, still Jones in a few years unless they draft a stud
Seth Jones will not be a significant contributor by the time the Sharks are ready to compete again (probably around 2027-2028, possibly later) - he'll be in his mid-30's and probably a mediocre second-pairing defenseman making a lot of money.

The Sharks have no reason whatsoever to worry about finding established players to be long-term pieces. Most of them will have moved on or retired by the time the Sharks are ready to compete.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
If I'm SJ I'm moving EK because I'm looking to rebuild/retool and know we won't compete for the next 3-5 years, I'm looking for young pieces that will help me down the road, or pieces that would greatly increase my cap flexability...Seth Jones doesn't really provide me with either

you can just watch hockey and be entertained by high caliber hockey players such as Karlsson doing their thing instead of watching shit dry on ice for years in the hopes that you'll be able to tank your way to a less shitty state in the far future like they are in Arizona

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I wasn't proven wrong the attendance numbers back up my argument not the original one.

And you were told the exact reason why the Sharks attendance numbers went down and it has absolutely nothing to do with EK and is proven across multiple sports.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Lol, makes zero sense.

And a huuuuuuuuuuge no from San Jose. Huuuuuuuge no.

I would think the Hawks would be thrilled to make this deal. Karlsson is a better player who just had a 100 point season and his contract ends 3 years earlier than Jones.
Do you have any idea what state both these teams are in?? EK would go to a contender, THATS IT. why the hell would he go to Chicago

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can see why Chicago would entertain this idea. It'd get them out of that Seth Jones contract, and Karlsson is an asset that could at least potentially be traded somewhere else for some sort of positive value, with significant retention.

It's still a big risk, taking on that Karlsson contract as a hopeful intermediary in a secondary follow-on trade.

I also really don't see what this does for San Jose. They basically just put themselves in an ugly situation for even longer with an overpaid defenceman who seems to be declining a lot more quickly than Karlsson, and is basically impossible to move.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Lol, makes zero sense.

And a huuuuuuuuuuge no from San Jose. Huuuuuuuge no.

Do you have any idea what state both these teams are in?? EK would go to a contender, THATS IT. why the hell would he go to Chicago
I certainly agree that EK wouldn't wave for Chicago. But if he did wave and they were offered this trade I'd think Chicago would get better value.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
And you were told the exact reason why the Sharks attendance numbers went down and it has absolutely nothing to do with EK and is proven across multiple sports.

Yes you did post this and I posted the actual attendance figures which are down considerably from the winning competitive San Jose teams.

Don't forget the original claim was this,

Karlsson doesn't only considerably improve every team in the NHL, he also brings attention and people to the seats - which then increases sponsorship/ad revenew.
so if that was actually true why where the sharks numbers so low this year with EK having , to some at least, a historic season this year?

Both parts of the original claim were also very hard to support in that EK doesn't automatically considerably improve every team in the NHL as claimed in part to his salary cap and lack of a complete 2 way game.

There is zero proof here only opinions but I'll look back at an earlier claim made by many vocal Sens fans that EK65 would fare much better on a better team and when he went to the Sharks this simply didn't happen so there is that.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
He’s going to Tampa bay
Who's going the other way? Asking due to salary cap. Stamkos? Cirelli?

I don't think Hedman, Sergachev or Cernak make sense for a number of reasons. The whole point of the trade would be to add Karlsson to those three to form a formidable top 4. Due to the cap though, one of the expensive forwards is going the other way, or Vasilevskiy (lol). Point, Kucherov and Vasilevskiy would absolutely not be available. Stamkos or Cirelli or it doesn't make sense for Tampa Bay IMO.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yes you did post this and I posted the actual attendance figures which are down considerably from the winning competitive San Jose teams.

Don't forget the original claim was this,

so if that was actually true why where the sharks numbers so low this year with EK having , to some at least, a historic season this year?

Both parts of the original claim were also very hard to support in that EK doesn't automatically considerably improve every team in the NHL as claimed in part to his salary cap and lack of a complete 2 way game.

There is zero proof here only opinions but I'll look back at an earlier claim made by many vocal Sens fans that EK65 would fare much better on a better team and when he went to the Sharks this simply didn't happen so there is that.
The numbers are so low because the Sharks have like 4 good hockey players. And this isn’t a sports hotbed like I said already. The numbers being low have 0 to do with Karlsson and they’d be lower without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad