Value of: Erik Karlsson, Seth Jones swap

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
What other pieces would need to be involved to make this swap work? Erik Karlsson to Chicago and Seth Jones to San Jose.

Chicago gets to move on being commited to an expensive overpaid D contract several years earlier and gets the player who is currently better (but older). They'll probably have a young high end D by the time Karlsson is old and a UFA, possibly Kochinski.

Grier is looking to put his own mark on the Sharks and move out pre-Grier players for new guys. Seth Jones probably fits the Sharks roster better long term than an aging Karlsson as well. The Sharks lack a high end D prospect like Korchinski and may not have a top pair D once Karlsson gets old. Jones is a lot younger and will be better than Karlsson 4 or 5 years from now. Probably still a top 4 D who can play big minutes and play top pair if needed.

Chicago best D = Karlsson now, Korchinski or young stud in a few years

San Jose best D = Jones now, still Jones in a few years unless they draft a stud

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Why would either team do this?
Chicago can get some future pick(s)/prospect(s) and no longer have to pay a big contract beyond 2027.

San Jose can swap Karlsson into a younger top pairing D who is 5 years younger. They also lack elite D prospects right now who could become top pairing, and Jones won't be over 35 and badly regressing in a few years unlike Karlsson. They know the'll have a good D for years and years. Grier also looking to change the team and put his own mark on it. By 2027 when Karlsson is UFA, Jones cap hit won't look that bad.

Ledge And Dairy

Chicago can get some future pick(s)/prospect(s) and no longer have to pay a big contract beyond 2027.

San Jose can swap Karlsson into a younger top pairing D who is 5 years younger. They also lack elite D prospects right now who could become top pairing, and Jones won't be over 35 and badly regressing in a few years unlike Karlsson. They know the'll have a good D for years and years. Grier also looking to change the team and put his own mark on it. By 2027 when Karlsson is UFA, Jones cap hit won't look that bad.
Sorry that was a typo, I mean't to say why would either player* do this

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
If I'm SJ I'm moving EK because I'm looking to rebuild/retool and know we won't compete for the next 3-5 years, I'm looking for young pieces that will help me down the road, or pieces that would greatly increase my cap flexability...Seth Jones doesn't really provide me with either

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Sorry that was a typo, I mean't to say why would either player* do this
That part is somewhat iffy, yeah.

For Karlsson: maybe thinks the Sharks under Grier are going to take longer to get back into the playoffs than Chicago under Davidson. Maybe doesn't trust Grier to build a contender. Likes that Chicago has Korchinski, Kurashev, Nazar, Rinzel, and likes that it's an Original 6 franchise. Also POSSIBLY, Chicago has the Bedard 1st overall pick (or Fantilli 2nd overall). It would be known by the time this trade happened.

For Jones: is from Texas, maybe likes the California weather more than cold and windy Chicago. Maybe for whatever reason finds the Chicago organization not ideal, maybe doesn't trust the GM to build a contender or something like that, but thinks Grier's Sharks might end up being really good. Also POSSIBLY, San Jose has the Bedard 1st overall pick (or Fantilli 2nd overall). It would be known by the time this trade happened.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

For Karlsson: maybe thinks the Sharks under Grier are going to take longer to get back into the playoffs than Chicago under Davidson. Maybe doesn't trust Grier to build a contender. Likes that Chicago has Korchinski, Kurashev, Nazar, Rinzel, and likes that it's an Original 6 franchise. Also POSSIBLY, Chicago has the Bedard 1st overall pick (or Fantilli 2nd overall). It would be known by the time this trade happened.

For Jones: is from Texas, maybe likes the California weather more than cold and windy Chicago. Maybe for whatever reason finds the Chicago organization not ideal, maybe doesn't trust the GM to build a contender or something like that, but thinks Grier's Sharks might end up being really good. Also POSSIBLY, San Jose has the Bedard 1st overall pick (or Fantilli 2nd overall). It would be known by the time this trade happened.
Whoa, the Blackhawks have both Phil Kurashev AND *the* Sam Rinzel??? That changes everything. They'll be winning Cups again in no time.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I dont see the Sharks wanting to do that, at all.

Karlsson just had a historically good season, he's marketable and a true superstar when he's on. His contract also fits the timeline of a rebuild better - sharks arent doing anything for a while. Jones might be washed up and still on the payroll when they need that space lol

Grinner

May 31, 2022

The Sharks get the lesser player with the longer bloated contract.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I figure if Jones was willing to go to San Jose, that would have been part of discussions before he ever made it to Chicago. He was very strict about where he would accept a trade to.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I've been podering the idea of Karlsson to Seattle at 2.5-3M retained. Seems like it could be a great fit especially if they fall short this year.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I've been podering the idea of Karlsson to Seattle at 2.5-3M retained. Seems like it could be a great fit especially if they fall short this year.
We’ve talked about it a few times on the Sharks board. Schultz, Driedger as cap dumps, Seattle has a lot of good prospects. Probably a deal there but the issue with Karlsson is that he’d get more in return than others fans think and probably less than Sharks fans think. At least on HF.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Karlsson doesn't only considerably improve every team in the NHL, he also brings attention and people to the seats - which then increases sponsorship/ad revenew.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Jones is so overrated. I wouldn’t take him on that deal for no assets in return.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Another poorly thought out trade proposal from the OP. I'll give mim high marks for consistency and prevalence

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

You think that SJ would be adding to make this trade? As a neutral fan I would think it would be the other way around

Reactions: Ducks DVM and Rec T

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad