Erik Karlsson (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
When we first got Karlsson everyone was excited about getting arguably a top 3 d-man in the world. Now people think someone like Heed can just replace him without skipping a beat. I get Karlsson's not 100% but come on. The Sharks have trouble getting the puck out and getting through the neutral zone and Karlsson is one of the few who can reliably skate or pass the puck out. This just makes it easier for the Blues to shut down the Sharks' attack. Obviously I'd take a healthy Heed over a broken Karlsson but this is a bigger loss than people think.

I think it’s a huge loss but I do think Heed could handle playing versus the Blues. I think we’ve also watched Karlsson try and force a pass into an opposing forward’s skate leading to a breakway so many times that a few of us are like, hmm... maybe it’ll be okay.

That said, I think we’ll be hard pressed to beat Boston without him.

But whatever. This series first. I just hope they don’t let him out at 20% and have him get walked every shift because he can’t pivot or skate.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
We only lose the first if we make the SCF and Karlsson re-signs. We don’t lose anything if he doesn’t sign.

I'd have to go back and look at the exact trade details, but I thought it had to be either one of those two things happening, not both.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well Karlsson has executed some really slick plays that have been a pleasure to watch. But he has also made a large number of really bad plays, giveaways, etc. I would not say he has been an irreplaceable asset in a single game this season/playoffs. A replacement like Heed won't make as many pretty plays but probably won't make as many stinkers either.

His good far outweighs the bad. The Sharks have no real way of replacing what Karlsson brings to the table. Heed doesn't come close to doing it and there aren't going to be any realistic external options for this team. The best they can do is bring in someone like Gardiner from free agency or Ristolainen from trade with certain assets and neither have his playmaking ability which is what makes others around him better especially our forwards.

Reactions: Phu

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I have a bad feeling that EK is leaving and I will always dislike him going forward (irrationally). Just because the way he makes the game look easy, can appear he isn't really trying on defense / getting back. Sorta like Yankee fans hating on Cano back in the day because he didn't hustle out infield ground balls. Health could play a part too

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I have a bad feeling that EK is leaving and I will always dislike him going forward (irrationally). Just because the way he makes the game look easy, can appear he isn't really trying on defense / getting back. Sorta like Yankee fans hating on Cano back in the day because he didn't hustle out infield ground balls. Health could play a part too

Yeah - I think he is leaving. I wouldn't say I have bad feeling about it b/c if EK signs for $11M AAV for 7 yrs w/ another team, I think our money could better spent elsewhere. (Part of my assumption is DW would try and trade for a 2nd pairing RD to fill EK's hole a bit.)

The quote from his agent (Don Meehan) last week about needing to get fixed up (or something) isn't a good quote. Meehan is a pro; there is no reason for him to put that out there if EK intends to re-sign w/ the Sharks. That quote was to assuage the team(s) EK intends to sign with.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
It honestly makes no sense to put a quote out saying he’s going to need surgery anyways. That just lowers his value in the offseason. It’s like advertising a car that is on blocks.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I still think he wants to hear offers before he makes a decision, Sharks or not. He strikes me as a shrewd guy and honestly, who wouldn’t want to do that? Who doesn’t want to hear all of their options before signing? So I’m not ruling him out but I think he’s going to possibly get to the Free Agency or DW is going to let him talk to other clubs.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It honestly makes no sense to put a quote out saying he’s going to need surgery anyways. That just lowers his value in the offseason. It’s like advertising a car that is on blocks.

Agree.

But maybe Meehan thinks talking about his injury will make prospective parties feel better about him getting outplayed by Burns for most of the playoffs and regular season.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
How does the 8 year contract signing work? Can we re-sign EK65 to a 8 year contract ONLY before the UFA period starts?
Yeah up until July 1st. Then only a 7 year after for everyone. Also worth noting the 8th year deal could only be agreed upon after this year’s trade deadline, leaving many to speculate he was going to sign right after, but here we are

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
An winning culture of swede star in both three crowns plus then nhl.

Karlsson is better than Burns since 2012 though if they are basically equal Karlsson is better in defensive half in the play and technical.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Karlsson is better than Burns since 2012 though if they are basically equal Karlsson is better in defensive half in the play and technical.
I get what you're saying, and yes, we want both.

SharksFan17

Apr 17, 2017
I think the sharks have done everything they can to get him to stay. Gave him a prominent roll on the team that is built for success but didn't rely on him for everything especially when he couldn't play. They've rolled out the red carpet more for him than anyone else I've seen, especially when you consider their captain is also up for UFA at the same time. I don't know what else they could do to convince him this is a good place to play.

I feel if they make him a decent offer and he walks to another team for the same or less that would leave a bad taste in the mouths of sharks fans. At least would also disprove some of the "Sharks are the darling of the league" sentiment. If he does hopefully its on the east coast.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If his last contract wasn't such an underpayment I actually think he would stay. Given that he needs to maximize money as this is his last payday I think he Chase's that

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

Karlsson is not better than Burns. This whole year basically showed EK65 is injury prone and is hella lazy on defense.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If his last contract wasn't such an underpayment I actually think he would stay. Given that he needs to maximize money as this is his last payday I think he Chase's that

I have no idea why people keep saying this. Nobody is going to offer him more money than we will. We will match any AAV and we will offer the 8th year to boot.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Taxes and structure matter even if people say they dont

The Sharks will structure the contract however Karlsson wants. There’s not a chance in hell that Tampa offers league max and if they do, they can only offer it for 7 years. The Sharks aren’t going to be outbid for Karlsson.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We know DW will do anything to keep this guy. As long as PDB is coach he will struggle mightily.
I have wanted PDB gone for the majority of the season. The team is winning because of individual efforts. Coaching has not seemed to help at all. Infact the inept PP and turtling with 1 goal leads is hurting the team.

The concern is that we have gone far ahead these playoffs that I just don't see DW firing PDB. At the most, Spott gets forcibly removed even though PDB wants him.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
This seriously sucks. This may be his best chance to win a Cup and he can't be anywhere near his best. With the EK of December-January, I have no doubt that the Sharks would have already won this series, that's how good he was. I don't know what will happen with his contract, but the Sharks know the severity of his injury better than anyone so if they do offer him a good contract then it must mean that the groin will heal with appropriate rest and rehab. And I hope he stays, because the way he played with this team for those 30ish games was awesome.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
We know DW will do anything to keep this guy. As long as PDB is coach he will struggle mightily.

I would give an injured EK65 the max if he demanded that PDB and co. be let go.
Okay coach, but does not give guys like Pavelski/Thornton/et al the best chance to win a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad