Jun 20, 2009

UnevenPoliticalAfricanhornbill-size_restricted.gif

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Unless he signs for a discount like Kucherov did
I think that the Nylander contract is a starting point, and (even though Leafs fans insisted that Nylander was worth more than Burns) Point is way better than Nylander... So you'd have to think at least 9, yeah? TB fans insist he will be bridged, which I guess is possible, but man, that would be brutal for back-to-back 30G seasons

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I think that the Nylander contract is a starting point, and (even though Leafs fans insisted that Nylander was worth more than Burns) Point is way better than Nylander... So you'd have to think at least 9, yeah? TB fans insist he will be bridged, which I guess is possible, but man, that would be brutal for back-to-back 30G seasons

I don’t see why he would bridge after a career year like this. His agent has probably thrown that idea out the window barring serious injury.

Reactions: fasterthanlight

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
If Point bridges he is either blackmailed by TB's management or he is high risk taker. If you ask me I wouldn't bridge in any circumstance if I would be Point.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If Point bridges he is either blackmailed by TB's management or he is high risk taker. If you ask me I wouldn't bridge in any circumstance if I would be Point.

I think surefire first liners are crazy to take bridge contracts. Maybe Points takes 2 years $6M per with the goal of winning a cup over the next three years, followed by an extension in July 2020 for $10M*6= 72M over 8 years. Or he could take a discounted $8.5 over 8 years for $68M.

In the second scenario he ends up with $4M less (5% difference in career earnings), but he takes the risk of a serious injury- as a small player who plays at top pace in an extremely physical game.

What happens if he destroys his knee and becomes a second-line guy instead of a franchise player- now he loses $40M in earnings.

At the end of the day Tampa's franchise players- Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Point have a history of taking way less, but as a top 5-10 forward in the league who's made $3.6M to date, I'd have a hard time taking that risk.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don’t get why people think young players would take a bridge contract or a team friendly contract when they’re already elite players in the league. Marner, Matthews, Point etc. should be going for as much as they can get for as long as they can get. Players at the ends of their careers can take discounts, like Jumbo. He’s made over 108 million dollars in his career.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
the severity of this injury concerns me
the last thing we need is a superstar contract with end-stage forsberg health

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don’t get why people think young players would take a bridge contract or a team friendly contract when they’re already elite players in the league. Marner, Matthews, Point etc. should be going for as much as they can get for as long as they can get. Players at the ends of their careers can take discounts, like Jumbo. He’s made over 108 million dollars in his career.
Because it suits their argument more. That is pretty much it.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
What severity? We don't even know what the injury is. Lets not get worried about stuff we have no idea about.
any injury that keeps a player out for 3 games heading into a break(and obviously hampering him in a 4th game prior) is concerning, but also announcing the player being out ahead of time is out of the norm for the Sharks so that adds to the concern.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
any injury that keeps a player out for 3 games heading into a break(and obviously hampering him in a 4th game prior) is concerning, but also announcing the player being out ahead of time is out of the norm for the Sharks so that adds to the concern.

I thinking you are reading too much into it. If you ask me, I would rather them do this and have Karlsson 100% for the playoffs than risk any chances. There is good chance we end up playing Vegas in the first round and having a healthy roster is going to the most important thing for us.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I thinking you are reading too much into it. If you ask me, I would rather them do this and have Karlsson 100% for the playoffs than risk any chances. There is good chance we end up playing Vegas in the first round and having a healthy roster is going to the most important thing for us.
i hope so
at the same time i am cognizant of how compromised his ankle already is and what happened to forsberg. he needs that ankle or his game will suck.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It depends on what rights they have going into it. If Tampa doesn't want to offer Point anything but a bridge, Point's only option without arbitration rights is to pursue an offer sheet and we know how rare that is these days.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I can’t wait until he signs so we can be done with hearing about it. It’s incredible how many Senators fans are still insistent that he wants to play elsewhere, citing rumors and rumblings that they hear around their small city.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I can’t wait until he signs so we can be done with hearing about it. It’s incredible how many Senators fans are still insistent that he wants to play elsewhere, citing rumors and rumblings that they hear around their small city.

Those people are making assumptions based on what he said over a year back and still hanging on to the Hedman connection. The fact that EK65 is already talking contract extension shows that he wants to stay. The only 'risk' he would have had not talking extension is that we trade him before the TDL if DW got the gut feeling that EK65 walks in the off-season.

Everything he has said since he joined us makes me think that he likes it here and wants to stay. Unless I see proof that he is unhappy and wants to go elsewhere, I am going to continue believing that he wants to stay.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Those people are making assumptions based on what he said over a year back and still hanging on to the Hedman connection. The fact that EK65 is already talking contract extension shows that he wants to stay. The only 'risk' he would have had not talking extension is that we trade him before the TDL if DW got the gut feeling that EK65 walks in the off-season.

Everything he has said since he joined us makes me think that he likes it here and wants to stay. Unless I see proof that he is unhappy and wants to go elsewhere, I am going to continue believing that he wants to stay.

To add to this, Karlsson did say he wanted to sign a lob term contract in a place he is comfortable in.
As of today, the only 2 places in the NHL, he can be comfortable in are San Jose or Ottawa.
He’s put out that he’s the loyal type and is more geared to comfort and team atmosphere. I’m sure that DW has done what he can to sell EK on this area. To wit, DW doesn’t tend to trade for those where there is a question they will not sign. Hasso and Pete did their part as well.

Reactions: CaptainShark

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
To add to this, Karlsson did say he wanted to sign a lob term contract in a place he is comfortable in.
As of today, the only 2 places in the NHL, he can be comfortable in are San Jose or Ottawa.
He’s put out that he’s the loyal type and is more geared to comfort and team atmosphere. I’m sure that DW has done what he can to sell EK on this area. To wit, DW doesn’t tend to trade for those where there is a question they will not sign. Hasso and Pete did their part as well.
San Jose has everything he wants other than super stardom. It's literally one of the most desirable places to live in North america if you ha e the money to do so.

The City, Napa, Monterey Bay, Tahoe are all driving distance. He can hop on a 30 minute flight and go play Hollywood in LA if he wants.

Nobody in their right mind would pick Ottawa over all of that. Tampa has a better hockey team and probably a better night life lol.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Dude, you're telling me that someones friend who knows a guy who works out with Karlssons buddy sometimes isnt a legit source?

Plus he's signing with the rebuilding Rangers because the Sharks window is closed and the Rangers will compete in the next 5-6 years...errr wait...FOR the next 5-6 years :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
San Jose has everything he wants other than super stardom. It's literally one of the most desirable places to live in North america if you ha e the money to do so.

The City, Napa, Monterey Bay, Tahoe are all driving distance. He can hop on a 30 minute flight and go play Hollywood in LA if he wants.

Nobody in their right mind would pick Ottawa over all of that. Tampa has a better hockey team and probably a better night life lol.

If EK wants a night life, going up to SF is probably at the very least just as good of a night life as Tampa.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

I went to school on the gulf coast of FL. DT Tampa is nothing special in terms of night life (certainly not like Miami). Tampa is most definitely cheaper but there isn’t anything that would draw me to live there unless my house was in Clearwater or Siesta Key. Really nice beaches there

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I'm pretty confident he stays. He looks really settled with the playing group, and the team finally got used to his vision and abilities.
That being said, I'm holding off from getting an EK65 jersey until he signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad