Erik Karlsson (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
They have a lot of $ coming off the books at the end of the year.

They will have 2 D-men re-signed at the end of the season. One of them being Sergachev who is an RFA the following year and will get a big raise. Also, Vasilevsky is guaranteed to get a big raise at the same time as Sergachev. The do get some cap freed at the same time by releasing Callahan but not quite enough I dont think.

Their bigger issue at the end of this season is going to be re-signing Point who would most definitely get a big raise. I do think they can potentially sign EK65 but they are bound to have even more cap issues than us.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
The more I think about it, I really think this sets the precedent for Duchene needing to be traded. I don’t know if I want him on the Sharks to be honest. Most of what was said was normal banter you hear in any job when a group goes out. Everyone has that boss they hate, it’s kind of whatever. And for guys like Tierney, DeMelo, Chabot, they honesty aren’t really in a place to really disagree with Duchene. They laugh along and pull some stats, but the attitude is all Duchene. For a newer guy on the team, you really have to court favor with influencers like that to avoid being an out cast. I can say that I think Tierney would have been in the wrong to make a stand and disagree and make himself seem like an outsider. So I don’t really blame them. I think it really comes down to Duchene being a toxic player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They have a lot of $ coming off the books at the end of the year.

Tampa has like 11.2 mil in unrestricted money coming up with Point needing a new deal. They can't really commit to anyone else since they have Sergachev and Vasilevskiy to re-sign next year. They will be out of the Karlsson running unless they make some major moves.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Two things are now obvious
1. Karlsson is not getting Doughty money
2. Karlsson is not signing with San Jose and playing second fiddle to Brent Burns

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Karlsson either can't or really does not like to skate backwards, which is weird to see from a defenseman. Feels like he's backchecking all the time even when he's above the play so I can totally see why people are saying he can't pivot.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson either can't or really does not like to skate backwards, which is weird to see from a defenseman. Feels like he's backchecking all the time even when he's above the play so I can totally see why people are saying he can't pivot.

karlsson after the cooke slice was different. he had to readjust how to play defense because of it. definitely f***ed up his pivots to right. but he still managed to dominate, which is why i'm not so worried about his broken foot thing.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The more I think about it, I really think this sets the precedent for Duchene needing to be traded. I don’t know if I want him on the Sharks to be honest. Most of what was said was normal banter you hear in any job when a group goes out. Everyone has that boss they hate, it’s kind of whatever. And for guys like Tierney, DeMelo, Chabot, they honesty aren’t really in a place to really disagree with Duchene. They laugh along and pull some stats, but the attitude is all Duchene. For a newer guy on the team, you really have to court favor with influencers like that to avoid being an out cast. I can say that I think Tierney would have been in the wrong to make a stand and disagree and make himself seem like an outsider. So I don’t really blame them. I think it really comes down to Duchene being a toxic player.

That team is a dumpster fire and he got traded there. I'm sure he's pretty frustrated with what a shit show it's been. I'm pretty confident in the Sharks room to keep him in check. What do you think sharks players said about McAllen toward the end of his stay? Bet is was worse than anything heard on the footage in that uber.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Karlsson has to be the most purely likable player in the NHL.
I mean, he is no Burns .. but ...

Kidding. I definitely think he is a very likable guy. We have not seen a lot of his personality on the Sharks because he is still adjusting in but I think if he does re-sign with us we could see him shine here. I think the way the Sharks are run as well as his being surrounded by very good talent will take the load of him enormously to 'carry the team'.

The only concern I have with his level of play with us so far, which I consider below-average for his standards, is that it may influence him re-signing with us. Outside of that, I have no doubt that he bounces back and goes back to being the elite D-man we expect him to be.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I mean, he is no Burns .. but ...

Kidding. I definitely think he is a very likable guy. We have not seen a lot of his personality on the Sharks because he is still adjusting in but I think if he does re-sign with us we could see him shine here. I think the way the Sharks are run as well as his being surrounded by very good talent will take the load of him enormously to 'carry the team'.

The only concern I have with his level of play with us so far, which I consider below-average for his standards, is that it may influence him re-signing with us. Outside of that, I have no doubt that he bounces back and goes back to being the elite D-man we expect him to be.
The thing is, his just being on the ice keeps other teams honest and they cant key on burns anymore because they will get smoked by him. His points not be piling up right now but he is creating things

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The thing is, his just being on the ice keeps other teams honest and they cant key on burns anymore because they will get smoked by him. His points not be piling up right now but he is creating things
I agree. And honestly, even if he ends up with 40-45 points this year I would still want him re-signed. The only concern I have with regards to his point totals would be how they would influence his re-signing. Both in terms of:

- How much the Sharks would offer him vs how much he would want?
- Would he consider his low point total(s) with us a sign that he does not fit well with the teams style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad