Erik Karlsson (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018
i thought PDB and staff told karlsson to do what he does best. this was in a recent press conference with PDB

I don't doubt PDB probably said that but I do doubt him meaning it. What they say at press conferences and what they say in practice are two different things.

I think DW called Pierre Dorion a "good GM" at one point in the media.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I think it is normal to get upset that Karlsson is not delivering right away. But I think it is also rather premature to say that he is not going to work out. I have seen enough flashes from him that I am not overly worried about him. It has been only 13 games so far into the season. If he is still playing this way in another month or so, then maybe panic.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post. I’d like to add that he’s also feeling the pressure of a whole fan base anointing him the savior of this franchise.
With that kind of pressure, I think he’s doing marvelously. It took him a handful of games to start making the passes we expected, now we need to exhibit patience that he, although a world class player, just moved from the only professional team he’s played for, he was a kid and grew into a man there. His wife was born and raised there. They were going to have their first child there. It is their home.
Give him time.

He’s human. He has nerves and expectations. He wants to do well. He wants to succeed. Vilifying him after this much time is ludicrous.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
I see it like Karl is looking to make a play to someone or anyone, but the Sharks are all expecting Karl to make the first move. Like when you get crossed up opening the door for someone and they tell you to go ahead. It's just awkward right now.
I agree. It's still a gelling process. He's not a 13 minute a night addition. He's 20-25 minutes with high skill, so the other guys , including defence partners, are still trying to figure out his habits with the puck, and defensively. As much as he has to adjust to them, they also have to adjust, cause from what I've seen he's carrying the puck tons and controlling breakouts and now manning the point on the PP . They're still gelling. I expect this team to be rolling , and climbing the standings to the top by game 30.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't doubt PDB probably said that but I do doubt him meaning it. What they say at press conferences and what they say in practice are two different things.

By Doug's standards, Dorion is a good GM. He gave Doug exacty what he wanted for probably less than he was willing to pay! :sarcasm:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I still blame Vlasic on that (I think) third goal more than Karlsson. Ok, Karlsson made a bad pass, but it looked like Vlasic was lazy and ended up giving up on the play. Bail your partner out for crying out loud.
what? Vlasic was the double-teamed player there. Karlsson just f***ing sat there with his thumb up his ass as the play went south instead of getting back to help out.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I didn't say it's not going to work out. I'm just getting impatient with his lack of goal production thus far.

Goal or point production? Frankly I don't care if scores a goal all season. Similar to not worrying about how many goals jumbo got in any season. At this point I'm just hoping for 50+ assists and whatever goal total he manages in addition to that will be gravy. Burns though, I expect 20+ goals if he's healthy all year. Different players.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Goal or point production? Frankly I don't care if scores a goal all season. Similar to not worrying about how many goals jumbo got in any season. At this point I'm just hoping for 50+ assists and whatever goal total he manages in addition to that will be gravy. Burns though, I expect 20+ goals if he's healthy all year. Different players.

I was talking about goal production. Karlsson came in as a goal scorer. I expect goal scorers to score goals, obviously.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I think it's fair to expect Karl to put up more points than he has, but I think that's just more down to his low on-ice shooting percentage. He's taking 2.9 shots per game which is right where his career average is. Perhaps not as many of those shots are as dangerous as usual though and I notice a lot of the tip plays aren't working just yet. Defensively he can be inconsistent of course, but offensively, once it clicks in, he's capable of going PPG for 30+ games at a time and even with sharing offensive duties with Burns, I'm sure he's going to be around 65 points when all is said and done with great possession numbers. (And if he's at 65 points and Burns is at 75-80, that's pretty great to have, especially the way Couture, Meier, and Hertl have been producing).

Reactions: Chaotic8 and Phu

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
He isn't actually known for his goal scoring though. Sure he can score but his goal scoring isn't what makes him karlsson.

Burns is the goal scorer of the two. EK65 is the defensive jumbo

So he's like Prime Vlasic of maybe 2 or 3 years ago? I've been focusing on his goal scoring but his highest goal total in a season was 21. He kills it in Assists though. I've been expecting like a 20 goal season from Karlsson, but maybe I should diminish that to something like 10-13.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I have never seen a worse passing and shooting game by karlsson ever.

But let's not forgot he also had a perfect game not so long ago against Anaheim.

That tells me that he's quite capable of still being one of the best players in the world. So I'm not worried.

There's been a lot of turmoil in his professional and personal life recently. It hasn't been a calendar year since he lost his son. It's understandable for anyone to need some time after that.

Anyway sharks are amazing. They have the luxury of being a playoff team even while Karlsson finds his game. So how incredible will they be when Karlsson is in form?

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
He needs to play rover a bit more. He is great at carrying the puck and getting it into the D zone. I think as soon as he takes more risks, the offense will come.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He needs to play rover a bit more. He is great at carrying the puck and getting it into the D zone. I think as soon as he takes more risks, the offense will come.

Yea when he does go for it something good always seems to happen. But most of the time hes just been holding it to set up passes. He isn't playing aggressive enough with his offensive skills.

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA

i agree with you. it looks to me EK65 is adopting the shoot wildly from the point tactic and its a little alarming. thats on the coaching staff

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I was talking about goal production. Karlsson came in as a goal scorer. I expect goal scorers to score goals, obviously.

Dude, no he didn't. He does occasionally score spectacular goals but's clearly a great passer first. Just look at his stats historically. Goals are the bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad