Confirmed with Link: Erik Karlsson named captain

Karlsson2Turris*

Jesus no one hates Phillips...but ffs what are Neil and him thinking??

They both should have come out and said I'll lead but Karlsson should be our Capt. Instead Phillips said he wanted it and Neil said Phillips should get it. That just proves to me that the right choice was Karlsson.

And idgaf that pic with Phillips is the funniest **** ever.

Lol when did Neil say that?

BadMcFadden

Aug 17, 2011
I think taken together with the Ryan signing it sends a good message - this team is moving forward and the management cares about the team. I wouldn't have picked Karlsson as captain and didn't expect it yet I'm not disappointed that it was him and I feel good about it.

This pretty much sums up my feeling as well. I wasn't keen on the choice (he's not "veteran enough" to be a captain), but its servicable. And if he is going to be the go-to guy and lead by example on the ice then this may actually turn out being an excellent decision.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
On the team1200 about two weeks ago in an interview. He straight up said that he wants Phillips as Capt.

Yep I heard it too. At one point Phillips said he'd love to be captain, then a few days later (ish) Neil had his interview and explicitly said Philly should be captain.

Oh well. It will be good to have them around for a few more years while EK gets his kaptain legs under him, then when the final 2 players of the old guard are gone, EK will be a great kaptain. The way it is now, he has a few years to learn the ropes with the old vets still around, which will be mostly positive.

simplefan

May 25, 2008
He has definitely shown more hustle defensively, and a much better stick than last year.

I still wouldn't call it amazing....but very encouraging. He's definitely on the right track.

The only thing that bothers me, is a lack of support at times. What I mean is, when he has the puck in a situation where he is being harassed at the blueline, I haven't seen any of his partners in preseason back him up at all (as in, start moving a bit - gliding - so they can either be open for a pass or able to put on the jets the other way and be ready to get any pucks poked out of the offensive zone and down to our end of the ice). Seems to be a recurring theme with the breakaways against us....the defenseman who loses the puck at the blueline is virtually the only one hustling back to try and stop a goal. The pairs aren't really supporting each other very well in that situation.

OK..I got a little bit ahead of myself but Karlsson played a solid game thus far in preseason.
Youre right. He's often left alone when he's handling the puck at the points. This caused a good number of breakaways. And he made some bad pinches. But overall, he's playing a safer game. Yet still creating scoring chances

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
On the team1200 about two weeks ago in an interview. He straight up said that he wants Phillips as Capt.

Just sticking up for a long-time buddy and teammate. Not really worried considering when it was said. If he had said something like that publicly at or around the time the decision was made public, then it would've gotten dicey in a hurry.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There is nothing wrong with Neil wanting Phillips as the captain. They are the only Senator Vets. Aside from them, 9MM has the most tenure.

I am sure they would both love to see each other with the C if they didn't have it. It's the nature of the beast. If it were 2-3 years ago, or Phillips was 2-3 years younger he would have gotten it.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i see nothing wrong with neil wanting Phillips have the C.

If i was in his shoes and was with the team as long as them i would probably feel the same both have insane amount of experience and sens history with them

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Karlsson and Methot appeared on 22 minutes tonight. The whole episode is available on CBC. The clip was about 3/4 of the way through IIRC

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well, he's no Rundblad but I think if he works at it he can be a great captain.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The Globe has interviews with each of the Canadian teams captains, Karlsson's is the last:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...nd-hockey/article20964435/#dashboard/follows/

Karlsson said:
I love the city of Ottawa and have ever since I got there. The longer I’ve been there, the more I like it. I love spending time there and I spent a lot of time there this off-season as well.

Everybody who comes to play for the Ottawa Senators wants to win; that starts from the top and goes all the way down to the players and the staff and the management and everybody around us. It’s fun and it’s challenging and it’s tough at times, but it’s also very rewarding when you’re playing well and you’re doing well.

We have great fans and great people in Ottawa. I’ve never been harassed in any bad way; it’s always been positive. No matter when we’ve been playing good or bad, people are understanding and realize it’s tough at times.

I’m there for another five years at least and whatever happens after that, but I can definitely see myself playing my entire career in the city of Ottawa.

Obviously you can't take what anyone says at face value anymore, and time has a way of changing things, but this is still nice to read.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
question does anyone know where i can get a C put on my karlsson jersey?

Someone here, sorry can't remember who, was saying the Sens store does it for 10$

I will be going to the game on the 18th and plan on bringing on mine to get done.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Someone here, sorry can't remember who, was saying the Sens store does it for 10$

I will be going to the game on the 18th and plan on bringing on mine to get done.

thanks, need to keep it updated and might have to pick up a ryan jersey now as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad