Confirmed with Link: Erik Karlsson named captain

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
That Phillips picture hit me right in the feels. The guys been a soldier here for years, and will actually retire here and work in the org, unlike the most beloved player here of all time. I wanted him to be captain, that being said I totally understand why they went with Karlsson and don't blame them. I really don't get all the hate for what will be the longest serving Sen around here.

Last edited:

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Alfie was named Captain to take away from the fact that whiner #19 was creating drama.
Karlsson was named Captain to.... oh wait.

Spezza was the epitome of a classy professional here. He never once complained. Isnt there enough fabrications about his on ice play to spout without making up **** about his off ice persona?

Cashin

Sep 24, 2014
I said Yashin created drama.
:sarcasm:

Well it was a complicated situation. I've always been big on Yash and always will be, but none of the parties involved made the best decisions at the time.

When Alexei moved to NY and got the contract that he deserved (at the time) he was nothing but a team player and a leader over there.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Well it was a complicated situation. I've always been big on Yash and always will be, but none of the parties involved made the best decisions at the time.

When Alexei moved to NY and got the contract that he deserved (at the time) he was nothing but a team player and a leader over there.

Yashin was a dick lol. Held out losing his captaincy (which he should never have gotten) and the whole NAC thing

Cashin

Sep 24, 2014
Yashin was a dick lol. Held out losing his captaincy (which he should never have gotten) and the whole NAC thing

The NAC handled that so poorly. A $1 mil donation at that time was beyond ridiculous, plus the fact that Yashin was being paid peanuts in relation to his offensive numbers...the NAC should have taken the $550K+ and shut up.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
The NAC handled that so poorly. A $1 mil donation at that time was beyond ridiculous, plus the fact that Yashin was being paid peanuts in relation to his offensive numbers...the NAC should have taken the $550K+ and shut up.

Both sides are to blame IMO. Yashin tried to get money to his parents if i remember correctly but he was still actually donating a huge sum of money

Cashin

Sep 24, 2014
Both sides are to blame IMO. Yashin tried to get money to his parents if i remember correctly but he was still actually donating a huge sum of money

He was a kid trying to set his parents up over here and maybe get a tax break too, so what? No one ever donates that much money "out of the goodness of their heart".

His parents still live in Kanata if i'm not mistaken.

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
can't teach maturity over night

...or ever.

I just don't understand laughing at someone who so obviously looks disappointed. Yes, he's a professional and he'll keep playing and helping Karlsson any way he possibly can...he's also a human being with feelings.

Anyway - I wouldn't laugh at even a picture of PK not getting what has probably always been something he hoped to get a chance at one day.

I understand the team going with Karlsson and I understand their (stated) reason - but if ever something happens and he shows that he wasn't actually ready - I hope all of the people who are so quick to turn on our own Sens players don't start turning on him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was against Karlsson being captain because I think he was too young & not ready for the media & all the stuff that comes with being captain could take away from his on ice performance. That being said, he is now captain & we move on to other things, good for him. I hope he does well. :handclap: NEXT.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Phillips and Neil had years of amazing teams to get the job done and they failed. They were the last players I wanted to captain the team.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Being a captain is extremely overrated anyways. You can talk to the refs. Thats the only advantage that comes with the title.

Anyone whos ever been in a competitve locker room knows that people dont just walk up to the designated "leadership" and ask them questions or rely on those three.

In fact, I'd say one of the most powerful things is when a guy who is usually quiet and reserved stands up and gets the team going.

It really doesnt make a difference if Condra was the captain. If people were slacking off or the team was failing, thats on everybody.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Is it really true that Phillips did not high five Karlsson? That is a bit childish if so. Karlsson took the reigns for a reason -- look back to 2007, game 5 when Phillips and Volchenkov fell apart. Phillips was drafted from my home town and won a championship with the Oil Barons and is definitely a leader. This; however, is Karlsson's team to lead.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Being a captain is extremely overrated anyways. You can talk to the refs. Thats the only advantage that comes with the title.

Anyone whos ever been in a competitve locker room knows that people dont just walk up to the designated "leadership" and ask them questions or rely on those three.

In fact, I'd say one of the most powerful things is when a guy who is usually quiet and reserved stands up and gets the team going.

It really doesnt make a difference if Condra was the captain. If people were slacking off or the team was failing, thats on everybody.

In groups of humans there are always implications when recognition is given to someone over others or over everyone else. The org says this is the leader, this guy, more than anyone else, is th front guy.

You can often see a link between the game the captain plays and the game the team plays. Sure, not always.

The C isn't a super power, but it has effects even if they aren't tangible.

Karlsson2Turris*

Is it really true that Phillips did not high five Karlsson? That is a bit childish if so. Karlsson took the reigns for a reason -- look back to 2007, game 5 when Phillips and Volchenkov fell apart. Phillips was drafted from my home town and won a championship with the Oil Barons and is definitely a leader. This; however, is Karlsson's team to lead.

Lol I doubt it. Pretty sure lethal was joking around.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I think taken together with the Ryan signing it sends a good message - this team is moving forward and the management cares about the team. I wouldn't have picked Karlsson as captain and didn't expect it yet I'm not disappointed that it was him and I feel good about it.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
I was in the Phillips camp before the announcement.

Now with the decision made and the message that went with it I am happy to see the "C" on Karlsson.

May our future be bright.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I was in the Phillips camp before the announcement.

Now with the decision made and the message that went with it I am happy to see the "C" on Karlsson.

May our future be bright.

Phillips had no chance.

There was no way the Sens were going to go through 4 different captains in 4 years. Phillips is on his last contract, he would have had the captaincy for 2 years at the most.

simplefan

May 25, 2008
He has looked amazing thus far...and Im talking defensively. He made some Lidstrom ish plays and plays a more complete more mature game. He doesn't rush as often but he almost always make a good pass up front. The C is the best thing to happen to him. I'm expecting him to reach another level.Keep him with Cowen. They look solid together. Cowen finally looks like a 6'5 D in the D zone and skates like 5'11 in the neutral zone and that's a compliment

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He has looked amazing thus far...and Im talking defensively. He made some Lidstrom ish plays and plays a more complete more mature game. He doesn't rush as often but he almost always make a good pass up front. The C is the best thing to happen to him. I'm expecting him to reach another level.Keep him with Cowen. They look solid together. Cowen finally looks like a 6'5 D in the D zone and skates like 5'11 in the neutral zone and that's a compliment

He has definitely shown more hustle defensively, and a much better stick than last year.

I still wouldn't call it amazing....but very encouraging. He's definitely on the right track.

The only thing that bothers me, is a lack of support at times. What I mean is, when he has the puck in a situation where he is being harassed at the blueline, I haven't seen any of his partners in preseason back him up at all (as in, start moving a bit - gliding - so they can either be open for a pass or able to put on the jets the other way and be ready to get any pucks poked out of the offensive zone and down to our end of the ice). Seems to be a recurring theme with the breakaways against us....the defenseman who loses the puck at the blueline is virtually the only one hustling back to try and stop a goal. The pairs aren't really supporting each other very well in that situation.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Jesus no one hates Phillips...but ffs what are Neil and him thinking??

They both should have come out and said I'll lead but Karlsson should be our Capt. Instead Phillips said he wanted it and Neil said Phillips should get it. That just proves to me that the right choice was Karlsson.

And idgaf that pic with Phillips is the funniest **** ever.

Milan the God*

There would be no sense to making Chris Phillips captain. In two years, he retires. Why prolong giving Karlsson the 'C' and have to go through another captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad