Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread Episode V - If You Needa Post About Him, Do It Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Maybe it is a 3 way deal?
They get:
Ottawa: Youngsters and picks (from team B mostly and some from A)
Team A: Karlsson
Team B: Ryan (better prospects/picks than they trade from team A)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Why do people overrate prospects so much. Karlsson is a top 3 player in the world who is in the middle of his prime. Saying you don't want Karlsson because you have depth on RD is like saying that you don't want Crosby because you have Mack.

It's stupid. There's more chances that the pick is 4th ovr than 1st and far more chance that the player doesn't turn out half as good as ek.

But potential amirite?
flabbergasted at that. you have a top 3 dman in the world but don't want him cuz depth in the prospect pool? Cmon :laugh:. You can move those prospects for help elsewhere in the lineup (This is assuming EK extension of course)

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Karlsson instantly turns them into a contender, and they are 100% missing a #1D despite their strength on RD.

They should aim to win within Mackinnon's current contract and not continue to wait. The young players are ready to start contributing now.

The idea that they should play it cautious because of their record 2 seasons ago is the complete wrong mentality to have when running a franchise.

Well you are dead wrong.

The Avs have no second line at all right now that can compete with the big guns in the West and rely on youth way too much.

Rushing this like they did in 2013-14 would be a horrible mistake once again.

Hope Sakic has learned his lesson on that one. Even with Karlsson they have a clearly worse roster than WPG and NSH and STL would be arguably right there with them as well....

That division is a killer and Karlsson is not going to all of a sudden turn them into cup favorites.

Who cares about MacKinnons contract? This is not the NFL and rookie QBs...
And he has 5 years left on it and will only be 27-28 or so once it expires.

Avs need to focus on building a legit longterm contender around MacKinnon. Not on his cheap contract.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't think I'd be able to fathom Merkley being a part of a trade for Karlsson (or, any Sens player for that matter). The team has mentioned that a priority is on building the character of the locker room – something that sounds like it is needed incredibly urgently given Oduya's comments about lack of strong cultural traditions – and Merkley does not fit that description despite his skill level.

In short, the Sens will not be able to get a return of equal quality for Karlsson but fans had better hope that the players that do join the team bring some stability to the locker room.
true because if there is one thing we can sure say is that everything that comes from the Sens has been 100% accurate and honest

Reactions: DFC

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
There has been no talks with Jo Pa, which is telling. All summer it was about 19, 9, 44, 39, 48. nothing at all on 8. I don't see him getting re-upped. This is why I see him going out and ryan coming back.
Recent article on the Athletic, DW said in an interview for the article he has spoken with Pavelskis agent but that was it...no other info. I hope Wilson realizes Pavelski will likely cost more than he is worth and he's only going to decline as he ages due to his already terrible skating

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Lol bruh please get this trade done with. Dorion pull the damn trigger dammit

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm scared it's Vegas or San Jose

If it's Vegas it means truly crippling the prospect pool and draft picks.

If it's San Jose, I have to hate Erik Karlsson.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
Karlsson + Ryan for Hertl, Merkley, 2019 2nd, 2020 1st? Thoughts?

This makes sense to me. Sens rid themselves of Ryan and get a younger player who is signed for a while. Ryan replaces Hertl for the Sharks, and they get Karlsson for picks and a prospect.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
true because if there is one thing we can sure say is that everything that comes from the Sens has been 100% accurate and honest

It's a weird thing to not be honest about but, yes, you're right in saying that what a GM says is no gaurantee. That said, I'm inclined to believe that that is the direction that the team is intending to go. Heck, it could even be an excuse for not acquiring more talented players in a Karlsson trade.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Tampa Bay/Vegas still have better secondary pieces. San Jose literally has nothing to trade, not even a first round draft pick in the upcoming draft. They have vets signed long term with NMC and some ok prospects.

There's no guarantee that their secondary pieces are even available at this point. If Meier is on the table from San Jose, that beats out Glass or Brannstrom from Vegas as a main piece and maybe anything Dallas has outside of Heiskanen. Saying they literally have nothing to trade is false. You don't need to exaggerate to make a case that Vegas and Dallas have better pieces if they want to make them available. Meier, Labanc, and Tierney are all solid young contributing roster players that have a lot of value. Merkley is a dynamic blue line prospect that was a 1st round pick this year. These are pieces with good value whether people like the players or not.

I've been saying that for a while, BUT it definitely feels like Ottawa has gained some leverage in the last 24 hours, with three teams trying to outbid each other. That's always been Ottawa's only path to leverage, and it looks like it's happened.

SJ seems to have the least big-time assets to move though, so it makes you wonder if they figured out something and are getting EK on the Bobby Ryan discount.

Probably. It wouldn't surprise anyone if DW was just in it to make it worse for the other teams and they do have the capability of taking on Ryan if necessary but I think way too many people sleep on them as having the ability because pundits and fans consistently underrate the value of Sharks assets over the years and still do.

Yeah, if you remove Sergachev/Heiskanen/Glass/Theodore as options...Meier or Hertle begin to look pretty good compared to the second level prospects available from the other teams.

And those teams have good reason not to do that with what they need to have available to keep other pieces moving forward since Ottawa isn't going to take big money contracts off anyone's hands in this deal.

Reactions: NorthCoast

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To SJ? That would be so boring.
Unless a 3rd team is involved to take some of SJ older players and send some good prospects back to OTT? I don't know.

Sharks have exactly nothing exciting for a rebuilding team. Merkley is a headcase and you don't want that on a rebuilding team, Labanc and Meier aren't EK worthy by any stretch of the imagination. Meh.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's a weird thing to not be honest about but, yes, you're right in saying that what a GM says is no gaurantee. That said, I'm inclined to believe that that is the direction that the team is intending to go. Heck, it could even be an excuse for not acquiring more talented players in a Karlsson trade.

To me, it's a "fish rots from the head" thing. Hard to fill your dressing room with character when Melnyk's out there making the most awkward video in NHL history. I just have a hard time believing the team, even its prospects, have a whole lot of faith in what's going on behind the scenes there. They went from acquiring Duchene to make a run to, less than a year later, a full blown rebuild.

Reactions: YP44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad