Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I would rather let players go play wherever they want if they don’t want to play for Toronto. Just let them be, what does a frog know about the great opportunities playing for Toronto offers to the super stars. Let them hang out on the beach with few millions in saved taxes lol.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I just honestly can't believe how close a deal has been this entire week with 3 different teams and now no one appears close at all. Crazy how fast things change. San Jose is next I bet

Media has been pushing this trade hard for a long time now, they hyped it prior to the deadline only to pull it back hours before but of course Vegas had a last minute push where they thought they had him but then it turns out a trade wasn’t actually that close and Cody Glass is the sticking point. then it was the draft and rumours were running wild and it was only a matter of time but then an hour before the draft and it was quiet again. July 1st rolls around, Vegas is close. Then July 3rd and now Dallas is the front runner. Karlsson is still a Senator on July 5th but Tampa is pushing and now it’s done but turns out it isn’t. And who could forget the stealth teams, anyone can step up at any minute and throw out an offer Dorion cant refuse.

Mar 26, 2010
Not really.

1. No way Ottawa trades him within the already stacked Atlantic division.

2. Will have to gut the young core in T.O to acquire him.

3. T.O does not have the cap space to fit another $10M + AVV player.

No question Karlsson is a stud, one of the top 3 very best D in the NHL. Just not in the cards for T.O.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Easy pass on ek from leafs pov, costs too much, play unfortunately dropped off after the injury, everyone in the league knows that that ankle is trouble. Send em to tampa with a fat 11 M contract though.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
and weve all seen players leave millions on the table to go where they want to go

weve all seen young rich hockey players waste... so much money on... such stupid things

weve all seen many athletes and entertainers robbed blind by their money managers

weve seen many of these young celebrity types simply not pay their taxes in the first place and go to jail or get their crap confiscated and sold off

when players do choose where to play... not a single one ever had a press conference and said I liked the tax rate... or the exchange rate was very attractive... or theres a good opportunity to do endorsements here

we as fans think it matters... ex players have never said it matters... current players have never said it matters

it doesn't really matter

What does any of the bolded have to do with Tampa or Toronto fitting Karlsson into their limited cap space or tax rates for that matter ?.

If you think tax rates don't matter to people you obviously don't have a job or have a job where you don't make enough to pay a lot of taxes or you make a lot and don't care. Why do you think a standard politician campaign promise is to lower taxes ?

Player won't say "I make more money here because of the tax rates that's why I choose this team" either they or a PR manager with make is more professional statement something like this "The location is great and beautiful, I believe this is a place where I can grow my family and make myself a very good player for 'insert team here' i'm very happy to be here" or something along those lines.

Reactions: razor ray

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Nobody going for a run will be trading their young roster player. It has to be before the season begins. Unless you guys want completely unproven players that may or may not pan out well for you.

Picks are nothing when you are trading a player of Karlsson’s caliber. Also there will be no contending team with great young players that might be expendable except for Tampa, Toronto at least from the listed teams.

I for once rather let Karlsson go to Tampa if that’s where he ultimately wants to go.

It's not like any roster player Ottawa gets back for Karlsson is gonna put them over the top the following season. They would however fetch a shitload of prospects and picks. Just look what lesser players like Rick Nash and Tatar brought back , just to name just two. Imagine what Karlsson would bring back.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Given that you claim Ottawa's demands are ridiculous, please tell me what they are. We're all dying to know. Thank you in advance.

By all reputable accounts, Melnyk's insistence of adding Ryan's albatross contract to any Karlsson trade are ridiculous demands.

Let's think logically here. These are two separate issues that Melnyk, in his infinite wisdom, is blurring together at the detriment of his own franchise.

The Senators signed Ryan to a horrific deal by their own free will. They didn't "take on" that contract. They were foolish enough to overpay Ryan by a lot, for way too many years, and now they need to own it. They made their bed. Instead, they're trying to burden other teams with their awful contract while still demanding a premium for a great player. Any logical person can see why these demands are, indeed, ridiculous.

Melnyk is the sole reason why his franchise is in shambles right now. And, instead of stepping aside and letting his "hockey people" make solid decisions to help the Senators, he's going to preside over the mishandling and departure of his team's all-time greatest player.

Again, according to reputable accounts, Dorion has worked out a very solid deal with Yzerman for Karlsson, but the deal has reportedly fell apart due to Melnyk's sabotage (insistence on Ryan being added). This is a clear deal-breaker for Tampa, which is offering the best return because Karlsson is willing to extend with them.

If Melnyk really cared about his team, his fans, his captain, he would sign off on a deal that is best for everyone. Of course, this would mean sacrificing his own ego and owning a poor contract that he previously blessed.

And fans wonder why Karlsson wants out and no longer wants to play for this lunatic. Even Turris said that management wanted him but the owner did not. A good owner let's his people do their job - Melnyk is a crum. If I were a Sens fan, I'd be furious.

And, before anyone says, "who are these reputable sources?", they are Pierre Mcguire and Doug Maclean. Both men said that they know of the type of pieces Yzerman is willing to pay for a Karlsson, and the pieces are better than any other offer, because Karlsson wants to be in Tampa. MacLean said today that the ownership in Ottawa is "out of control" and Melnyk is stubbornly destroying his own franchise from within. Both men said that Dorion can not afford to "mess this deal up" and that Yzerman has extended the Sens a lifeline by offering multiple players who could immediately help the team (and according to Pierre, "in a significant way.") But Melnyk is crippling the deal by demanding Tampa clean up his mess and swallow Ryan's cap hit.

Melnyk is an idiot. You think the situation is bad now, wait until Karlsson is pissed about Melnyk's refusal to make a reasonable trade, and he's going to insist on going to market, and walking for nothing next summer. If Karlsson sticks to his guns about testing the market, no team is going to pay a premium for him at the deadline. And, it will just be an ugly situation all year.

Reactions: Raymones

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think Bettman is holding up the deal, either for TB cap compliance, or because he thinks the NHL could use more off season drama and publicity. Probably the latter..mmmm

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
It's not like any roster player Ottawa gets back for Karlsson is gonna put them over the top the following season. They would however fetch a ****load of prospects and picks. Just look what lesser players like Rick Nash and Tatar brought back , just to name just two. Imagine what Karlsson would bring back.

That’s where you are going off the track. I’m not saying those kinds of players aren’t going to be traded but if that’s what you want for Karlsson then it’s not good enough and a level above those players might already be a core part of the team. Who would trade let’s say Nylander besides a team like Toronto who have Matthews, Tavares, Kadri? List any teams in the league that can afford to do that besides Toronto, Pittsburgh and Tampa for a player on a 1 year rental? We all know how much he wants to play for Tampa and he might not sign with the team that trades for them, would you as a gm trade someone like Nylader who might sign 8 years contract for a 1 year EK rental?

It’s a no brainer.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
11 mill to Tavares...
11 mill to Matthews...
11 mill to karlsson
and get off easy just 9 to marner

gets out calculator... it struggles with these ungodly numbers... but we get our answer

no... no its not possible... no

You’re entire cap is gone. So no you can’t get Karlsson.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
not a chance he gets traded to toronto

Lol it’s this kind of bold statements that makes people seem stupid on this board. I mean I am not even interested in Karlsson unless he wants to sign after he joins Toronto, but how can a nobody with no inside information reject something that’s being talked in the media this bluntly? Haha

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
and weve all seen players leave millions on the table to go where they want to go

weve all seen young rich hockey players waste... so much money on... such stupid things

weve all seen many athletes and entertainers robbed blind by their money managers

weve seen many of these young celebrity types simply not pay their taxes in the first place and go to jail or get their crap confiscated and sold off

when players do choose where to play... not a single one ever had a press conference and said I liked the tax rate... or the exchange rate was very attractive... or theres a good opportunity to do endorsements here

we as fans think it matters... ex players have never said it matters... current players have never said it matters

it doesn't really matter

What does matter is Karlsson is not signing in Toronto for under 11 million. And you have no cap space to do so.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Bettman is holding up the deal, either for TB cap compliance, or because he thinks the NHL could use more off season drama and publicity. Probably the latter..mmmm

What is this crap?

Bettman isn't holding up anything. The Sens and Bolts had a deal then Dorion presented it to Melnyk and he vetoed it unless Tampa took back Ryan's contract (after Dorion and Yzerman worked out a solid hockey trade ).

Come on, gang, let's pay attention.

These three points have been established by credible sources:

1. The ONLY team Karlsson is willing to extend with TODAY is Tampa. Period. That's a known fact at this point.

2. Yzerman is willing to give Ottawa more than any other team because they can extend Karlsson. Dallas, Vegas etc. would be gambling on Karlsson and may only have him for 1 year... so they will NEVER give up the farm for a 1 year risk. That's bonkers.

3. TB/OTT was a deal in place until Melnyk stepped in and ruined it by trying to add Ryan's contract in.

We can speculate, brainstorm, and think of ideas, but let's base them in reality of what we already know.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It's not like any roster player Ottawa gets back for Karlsson is gonna put them over the top the following season. They would however fetch a ****load of prospects and picks. Just look what lesser players like Rick Nash and Tatar brought back , just to name just two. Imagine what Karlsson would bring back.
And Duchene!:naughty:

Anyway EK only had a 10 team NTC. If he and Ottawa are going to try and squeeze them with it being the only destination he'll do a sign-n-trade with surely more than one team out of the other 19 will envision themselves a contender and possibly want to help their chances at a Cup by also keeping Karlsson out of Tampa.

Get the 1st and 2nd best prospect, conditional 1st if they win the cup or resign EK plus change offers and MAYBE get one of the big 3 to blink on Glass, Sergechev or Heiskenen.

This is a salvage operation at this point.

Sideshow Mel insisting on getting rid of Ryan will kill his return.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Agree with this. And who has the ammunition to do so? Only team I can think of would be VGK.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Ottawa would actually be in good shape in the next couple of years if they got Foote and Serg from Tampa, assuming Serg continues improving and Foote becomes a top 4 guy.

If all these guys pan out, Ceci realizes he has a brain and can use it, that is a solid top 4 and a very solid goalie.

Chabot-Foote
Sergachev-Ceci (or someone else...please someone else)

Gustavsson

If you could load up on centers in the drafts after next, you would have some good pieces to start contending once Karlsson, Ovie, Tavares, Sid, Malkin, Bergeron etc. etc. start winding down. That’s a long rebuild, but you aren’t contending with the top teams in the conference during that time frame anyways. Might as welll go scorched earth and shoot for the playoffs in about 3 more seasons.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Because having a caphit of 11mil in Toronto is roughly equal to 8.5mil in Tampa because of taxes, so Tampa can offer Karlsson and Kutcherov 8yr 8.5mil+ per (probably around 9 to 9.5 tho).

Yeah you could offer Karlsson and Kucherov 8.5...let's see them take it.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Isn't Vagas the only team that can take exactly what they are demanding? Karlsson + B.Ryan's contract.

Here's the thing - Yes, Vegas has the ability to take on Ryan's cap hit as well as pay Karlsson. This is all very true. Vegas is in this situation and Dallas, Tampa, and others are not.

The problem is, Vegas is not willing to give Ottawa the best return because Karlsson is not yet willing to commit to an extension with them. I'm sure if Karlsson were to magically change his mind tonight, Vegas would up their offer and the Sens would have the best of both worlds.

However, according to McGuire, MacLean and Yost, Tampa is where Karlsson wants to be, either tomorrow or next summer when he's a UFA. Could that eventually change? Of course. Only Karlsson knows. But, as of now, he only wants to re-up with Tampa.

So, Melnyk needs to decide which is more important:

A. Get the best return for his greatest player

Or

B. Get a sub par return for Karlsson in order to save himself some money on Ryan's contract

As a fan, manager and coach, I know I'm hoping for A.

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
We don't have the cap space for him unless they take Horton and I cant see a scenario where that makes sense for us.

They'd want Liljegren and we cant afford to give him up especially if Karlsson doesn't resign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad