Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
marner isnt get 9 are you nuts?

pasta got 6.67 coming off 34g/70pts. in what world does marners 22g/69pts get him 9?

I guess boston manages their cap better and tells the kid don't even ask for 9?

marners people say ryan johanson got 8... leon draisdailt got 8.5.... if Toronto wants you and are going to pay Tavares and Matthews 11... then hold them up for 9

I mean Toronto could just force him to sit out... stick him with a bridge... let him file for arbitration... and they probably wont need to pay 9

but does that sound like a good idea to you?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
marner isnt getting 9. give him 7. nylander is gone in the deal, take away another 7.
gardiner isnt getting resigned, hainsey likely isnt either. add another 7

75 mil and a few spots to fill

with hainsey and gardiner gone and replaced by 2 minimum salaries... things look really damn scary on that blueline don't they?

I think... for the record... marner will go when he holds tight to his 9 mill request. I think... that means nylander will probably stay

its possible gardiner and hainsey will go but trying to replace them with minimum contracts could really result in a tire fire.

if you are playing morgan riley and erik karlsson 40 mins a game... it might work... but otherwise id be really concerned about this plan

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I would ask you to name one insider that goes on record saying "Karlsson is willing to extend with Dallas or Vegas today."

Karlsson is great friends with Hedman, and has been since they were kids. Like MacLean said, "it's no secret that Tampa is where Karlsson wants to be and he has all the control."

Yost was saying as much going back to the trade deadline last year.

Isn't Yost the guy who told us this deal was done 2 nights ago?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Clearly a no brainer, your not hearing me.

If I'm Ottawa I could care less who he want's to play for.

Nor could care less about a return like Nylander and the likes . As good as he is, Ottawa is going to need a lot more than Willy to rescue them.

If Tatar , a player that played a whole 8 games in the PO's for Vegas in their PO run, landed a 1st , a 2nd and a 3rd just imagine what Karlsson get's you at TDL. Karlsson would put any team positioned for a cup run over the top. Any team like Tampa for 1 or the Leafs or the Preds or the Jets, the Bruins , I could go on ... etc. Karlsson could get you double what Tatar got.

Stop with your roster players, that's not what Ottawa needs, that's the deal that get's done now. But if they wait, they'll get a ****load of futres that will serve them way better going forward.

This is not how it works lol.

Tatar fetched a good return because he was locked up under team control through 2020-21 at a reasonable cap hit. And his NTC didn't kick in yet, so Vegas could trade for him and have him under contract for 3+ seasons.

At the deadline, Karlsson will be a pure rental. No team is giving up Shea Theodore, Cody Glass, 1st, 2nd for a month or two of Erik Karlsson lol. Have you been drinking??

Right now, Tampa is willing to give up MULTIPLE pieces because:

A) Karlsson is (by all accounts) willing to sign an extension with them

B) They still have the off-season to round out their team and acclimate Karlsson

Dallas and Vegas aren't willing to give up a future franchise player like Glass or Heiskanen because Karlsson is not willing to commit to them longterm. How is this such a difficult concept to understand??

No GM of quality is going to give up multiple prime assets for a player who can walk next summer for nothing. That's a fireable offense and one that could keep you out of the league for a while. Horrible asset management.

Could you imagine Vegas giving up Theodore, Glass, Suzuki and picks ... getting bounced in the 2nd round then Karlsson signing in Tampa and they are left with nothing except Bobby Ryan's horrific contract?!

Seriously, just think about that with a clear mind for a moment. Forget about being a Sens fan... come back to earth for a min.

Karlsson has maximum control here. You can pretend he doesn't but he really does. No team is going to give up a great package for him without him signing an extension. Period. You don't have to be Sam Pollock to figure that out lol.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009

marners people say ryan johanson got 8... leon draisdailt got 8.5.... if Toronto wants you and are going to pay Tavares and Matthews 11... then hold them up for 9

I mean Toronto could just force him to sit out... stick him with a bridge... let him file for arbitration... and they probably wont need to pay 9

Can’t ask for arbitration after ELC, right?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Tatar fetched a good return because he was locked up under team control through 2020-21 at a reasonable cap hit. And his NTC didn't kick in yet, so Vegas could trade for him and have him under contract for 3+ seasons.

At the deadline, Karlsson will be a pure rental. No team is giving up Shea Theodore, Cody Glass, 1st, 2nd for a month or two of Erik Karlsson lol. Have you been drinking??

B) They still have the off-season to round out their team and acclimate Karlsson

Dallas and Vegas aren't willing to give up a future franchise player like Glass or Heiskanen because Karlsson is not willing to commit to them longterm. How is this such a difficult concept to understand??

No GM of quality is going to give up multiple prime assets for a player who can walk next summer for nothing. That's a fireable offense and one that could keep you out of the league for a while. Horrible asset management.

Could you imagine Vegas giving up Theodore, Glass, Suzuki and picks ... getting bounced in the 2nd round then Karlsson signing in Tampa and they are left with nothing except Bobby Ryan's horrific contract?!

Seriously, just think about that with a clear mind for a moment. Forget about being a Sens fan... come back to earth for a min.

Karlsson has maximum control here. You can pretend he doesn't but he really does. No team is going to give up a great package for him without him signing an extension. Period. You don't have to be Sam Pollock to figure that out lol.
I agree with you, but I think that guy is a Bruins fan.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Is Tatar remotely close to Karlsson in impact?

Your right, no team is giving up the players you listed but if you read my posts , I went out of my way to state roster players are not what Ottawa should be looking for .

Have I been drinking? Nice.....Is there something you need to share with us?

What are these pieces TB is willing to part with, any reliable sources? So far no one has been to reliable.

Right now , Ottawa can sit on this.

They have no obligation to accommodate Karlsson.

Managers (and owners) are willing to pay almost any price to acquire a player that will put them over the top. Karlsson has that capacity. At TDL when

1) you let a team keep their roster players.
2) cap space requirements are minimal
3) futures is all your asking

And Oh, I'm not a Sens fan, don't know what ever gave you that impression.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
You're on bath salts if you think Nylannder is worth half of Frost/Farabee +Sanheim +Simmonds +1st. Knock it off

Flakka.

Another example of a Leafs fan thinking Nylander is a lock to be the next Luc Robitaille and all of the Flyers 1st round pick prospects will be average, if they're lucky. Complete disregard for the fact that Hextall has picked extremely well, especially in the 1st round.

Frost, Farabee, Sanheim are all awesome prospects who could one day make as much of an impact as William Nylander (who I really like, mind you). He's just further along in his development, so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Not to mention, Simmonds is a coach's dream. Great character, leadership, grit, skill and a beast on the PP. He hits, fights, gets filthy, and can chip in 25-30 goals. Coaches and GM's know exactly what Wayne Simmonds brings to a team and a locker room.

Reactions: Sasso09

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Flakka.

Another example of a Leafs fan thinking Nylander is a lock to be the next Luc Robitaille and all of the Flyers 1st round pick prospects will be average, if they're lucky. Complete disregard for the fact that Hextall has picked extremely well, especially in the 1st round.

Frost, Farabee, Sanheim are all awesome prospects who could one day make as much of an impact as William Nylander (who I really like, mind you). He's just further along in his development, so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Not to mention, Simmonds is a coach's dream. Great character, leadership, grit, skill and a beast on the PP. He hits, fights, gets filthy, and can chip in 25-30 goals. Coaches and GM's know exactly what Wayne Simmonds brings to a team and a locker room.
Only the most bias bias of leafs fans think Nylander is worth that package.

Reactions: mariolemieux66
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Not straight up. Do you think Nylander or Point preform at the same clip on the Sens, I don't. Those are stacked teams. Ottawa is not.

Ottawa is in the drivers seat. Overpay is more likely coming at TDL than now. If someone wants to overpay now, so be it. But if I'm Ottawa, I'm milking this for everything it's worth.

I owe Karlsson what he owes me , which seems to be nothing.

The team that will pry Karlsson form me is going to pay with their future. A Stanley Cup is a hard thing to win. It takes a good team, good management and a **** load of luck. If I'm going to give you a cup, the price for a cup isn't cheap. It's not Nylander, Point or Sergechev. It's those guys and a whole lot more.
You aren't going to get those level players and much more. You either get the young producing NHL player and some stuff or you get a bag of futures. I thought I was with you up until I read that last sentence.

Right now seems like a strange time to trade Karlsson. At or before this draft, or at next season's TDL seem to be smartest to maximize value. The deadline deal isn't going to give you a big NHL name, though. It's going to be a bucket of futures.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
i dont think there is anyway to stop it. how can the NHL say "no john tavares, you cant do an ad for canadian tire during the offseason!"

not gonna happen

Can't stop him from doing ads but the team should not be allowed to actively pursue securing or promising to secure sponsorship deals as part of a sales pitch to a free agent.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Is Tatar remotely close to Karlsson in impact?

Your right, no team is giving up the players you listed but if you read my posts , I went out of my way to state roster players are not what Ottawa should be looking for .

Have I been drinking? Nice.....Is there something you need to share with us?

What are these pieces TB is willing to part with, any reliable sources? So far no one has been to reliable.

Right now , Ottawa can sit on this.

They have no obligation to accommodate Karlsson.

Managers (and owners) are willing to pay almost any price to acquire a player that will put them over the top. Karlsson has that capacity. At TDL when

1) you let a team keep their roster players.
2) cap space requirements are minimal
3) futures is all your asking

And Oh, I'm not a Sens fan, don't know what ever gave you that impression.

No, Karlsson is clearly a far better player than Tatar. I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest otherwise.

But you can't compare these two players in a vacuum. One (Tatar) is young, under control for 3+ seasons, and has a comfortable cap hit. The other (Karlsson) is a pending UFA, apparently is keen on playing in Tampa, is only willing to extend with one team, and will be looking for a contract anywhere in the neighborhood of 10-11.5 mil a pop.

These are completely different circumstances. If we've learned anything since 2006, it's that, in a Cap NHL, GM's place a massive emphasis on A) Franchise icons (Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Kopitar, etc.) that are part of the team and community over the long haul... B) Players under team control with a cap-friendly term... and C) Young players who can step in, make an impact, on rookie and bridge contracts.

No team is going to give up a ton to rent Karlsson at the deadline. It doesn't matter how good he is, it's franchise suicide unless you win the Cup.

Now, you keep saying "futures" but what's that mean exactly?! At the deadline, sure, a contender will give up a 1st, 2nd and B prospect to rent Karlsson (if they even still have their 1st to trade). But that is a garbage return for a franchise player.

As for what other teams are offering... Here's what we believe is accurate (based on multiple reports):

- DAL: Willing to give up Honka and picks, but reluctant to part with Heiskanen.

- VGK: Unwilling to part with Glass, who Ottawa wants in any deal with Vegas.

- TAM: Names being thrown around include Sergachev, Foote, Cirelli, Johnson, Raddysh etc.

It's been clear, by all indications today, that Tampa is currently willing to give up the most because Karlsson is open to extending with them. If other teams are already unwilling to give up a haul for Karlsson now (when they can have him for the whole season), why would they miraculously be willing to give up more in March to rent him for 2 months?? Makes zero sense.

It appears a deal with Tampa was done, until Melnyk insisted Ryan be included. That is the issue. Melnyk needs to get over it.

I assumed you were a Sens fan because you are / were arguing on their behalf, like they should just play hardball with Karlsson on spite in hopes some team will give up a king's ransom to rent him at the deadline. It doesn't work that way in the new NHL.

According to MacLean, people around the league are saying that, "teams who can't sign Karlsson to an extension aren't even offering up as much as the package it took to get O'Reilly." That goes to show you how much GM's value players under control (and de-value pending UFAs that could strive for max dollars).

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Marner will not get 9, and sense will be talked into him before that happens.

He will be paid max 6.5-7 and this will keep the team competitive, the kid BLEEDS blue and white lol

I go by the rule, I believe things when they come straight out of a players mouth, and he won't bend the leafs over for 9 mil

Why is the damn narrative on here always that the Leafs have the greediest players on earth, who only care about money and not winning? Plus nobody actually knows jack shit about their intentions.

Last edited:

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Marner will not get 9, and sense will be talked into him before that happens.

He will be paid max 6.5-7 and this will keep the team competitive, the kid BLEEDS blue and white lol

I go by the rule, I believe things when they come straight out of a players mouth, and he won't bend the leafs over for 9 mil

Why is the damn narrative on here always that the Leafs have the greediest players on earth, who only care about money and not winning? Plus nobody actually knows jack **** about their intentions.
He's going to take eight figures less because "the kid BLEEDS blue and white"? :eek:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
He's going to take eight figures less because "the kid BLEEDS blue and white"? :eek:

I will bet you 5000 bucks, straight up if this kid signs for more than 7M per year, it's not happening. He is all about team and winning.

There is a plan in Toronto, and our management group will fit everyone in, and add, and use the draft and Euro scouting to keep replenishing.

Complete faith in the process

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I will bet you 5000 bucks, straight up if this kid signs for more than 7M per year, it's not happening. He is all about team and winning.

There is a plan in Toronto, and our management group will fit everyone in, and add, and use the draft and Euro scouting to keep replenishing.

Complete faith in the process
If he was really committed he'd take the league minimum.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If he was really committed he'd take the league minimum.

Honestly, I think he comes in between 6.5-7 million per year, which is not chump change. He will not be asking for 9 million per year right off the bat.

Again, we have amazing people running this team, and more to be added in player development and scouting, and the only acceptable outcome with this management group is to win cups. Weather that happens, who knows, but they are going to do everything humanly possible

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
No, Karlsson is clearly a far better player than Tatar. I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest otherwise.

But you can't compare these two players in a vacuum. One (Tatar) is young, under control for 3+ seasons, and has a comfortable cap hit. The other (Karlsson) is a pending UFA, apparently is keen on playing in Tampa, is only willing to extend with one team, and will be looking for a contract anywhere in the neighborhood of 10-11.5 mil a pop.

These are completely different circumstances. If we've learned anything since 2006, it's that, in a Cap NHL, GM's place a massive emphasis on A) Franchise icons (Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Kopitar, etc.) that are part of the team and community over the long haul... B) Players under team control with a cap-friendly term... and C) Young players who can step in, make an impact, on rookie and bridge contracts.

No team is going to give up a ton to rent Karlsson at the deadline. It doesn't matter how good he is, it's franchise suicide unless you win the Cup.

Now, you keep saying "futures" but what's that mean exactly?! At the deadline, sure, a contender will give up a 1st, 2nd and B prospect to rent Karlsson (if they even still have their 1st to trade). But that is a garbage return for a franchise player.

As for what other teams are offering... Here's what we believe is accurate (based on multiple reports):

- DAL: Willing to give up Honka and picks, but reluctant to part with Heiskanen.

- VGK: Unwilling to part with Glass, who Ottawa wants in any deal with Vegas.

- TAM: Names being thrown around include Sergachev, Foote, Cirelli, Johnson, Raddysh etc.

It's been clear, by all indications today, that Tampa is currently willing to give up the most because Karlsson is open to extending with them. If other teams are already unwilling to give up a haul for Karlsson now (when they can have him for the whole season), why would they miraculously be willing to give up more in March to rent him for 2 months?? Makes zero sense.

It appears a deal with Tampa was done, until Melnyk insisted Ryan be included. That is the issue. Melnyk needs to get over it.

I assumed you were a Sens fan because you are / were arguing on their behalf, like they should just play hardball with Karlsson on spite in hopes some team will give up a king's ransom to rent him at the deadline. It doesn't work that way in the new NHL.

According to MacLean, people around the league are saying that, "teams who can't sign Karlsson to an extension aren't even offering up as much as the package it took to get O'Reilly." That goes to show you how much GM's value players under control (and de-value pending UFAs that could strive for max dollars).

I've seen teams give up lots of goods for much lesser players at TDL.

Perhaps we view Karlsson in a different light. He's top 5 in the league to me and I mean OA. I don't know how you access him but few players can make the impact he can when healthy.

However, the thing few talk about is Karlsson's future. The dude had half his ankle bone taken out.

https://www.tsn.ca/karlsson-reveals-more-about-ankle-injury-1.868641

How does this bode well for his future. If I'm GM , as much as I love this player, easily my favorite player to watch, it's a hard pass for me if we are talking long term at 11M per. Insurance on a player like him would cost a fortune I would think.

Taking on his cap from the start of the season as opposed to at TDL have much different implications. Take him on now means trading a valuable roster player to accommodate him , while a trade at trade deadline, it means waiving a 4th liner at worst.

Next year you have to dump even more roster players to accommodate the 11M cap hit. Something the TDL acquiring team doesn't have to do.
At the end of the day he will be nothing more than a rental to Tampa when you consider the quality of players they will have to dump next year to accommodate his cap hit anyway.

If Vegas has the same type of season they had last year and they feel Karlsson could put them over the top, why wouldn't they bet the farm at that point. They were finalists last year. Karlsson could have put them over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad