Erik Karlsson has been on the ice for 11/13 goals against so far this series.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
He played 29 minutes one game and is averaging 24 minutes a game in the playoffs. His icetime the last three games has been around 21 or 22 minutes.
Yeah he played well first game and last game. So he had 2 bad games this series. It is not like this total disaster that hf wants it to be.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah he played well first game and last game. So he had 2 bad games this series. It is not like this total disaster that hf wants it to be.
I don't disagree. I just meant it's not as simple as that he was on the ice half the games on a bad team.

Reactions: CrypTic

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
But why doesn't it happen to Doughty?

The last time he was relevant in the playoffs was in 2014, and he just finished the season an outstanding -34. Imagine if Karlsson carried that type of resume in his career. He'd be crucified.

Yet no one puts Doughty on blast in the Canadian media lol. The double standard is ridiculous.

Well this one's easy.

It's because no one is pumping his tires for Norris and going "LMAO BEST DMAN IN THE LEAGUE AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE" when he doesn't have a good year.

In fact, he had a norris-worthy year last year, but no one was sticking up for him then. It's almost like it cuts both ways huh?

Edit: but I did have a good laugh at the idea that Doughty didn't get any criticism this year. He was eviscerated repeatedly on damn near every away telecast that I watched, never mind the constant crusade by *ahem* some around here bringing him up in unrelated threads

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Thought this was a pretty good breakdown on Sharks defensively and in net.

That's a good breakdown, but the haters, other defensemen homers and stats guys who actually don't watch any of the plays will ignore this. No one is arguing that Karlsson is not on the top of his game. He's had a rough year to be sure, including the death of his upcoming child, followed by the harrassment drama from a teammate's wife and the trade he didn't want. It's still obvious to everybody he's still lingering from that groin injury.

That he's still able to produce 7 points in 5 games when he's not feeling well, should be the story. Nope, it's that his team is struggling and it's his fault. I do have to agree it's because of the expectations on him. He's supposed to single handedly carry the Sharks far into the playoffs. I'm pretty sure he would, if he would've been healthy. Karlsson uninjured would've been the difference maker for this series to be reversed.

That he's able to be so involved, with his injury, is incredible if you ask me. He's a really good player and I only laugh at those saying it's a mistake to sign him. When he's 100% and clicks with his team, he can do wonders on any team, even after all the crucial injuries and tragedies during his career.

And this is the response he gets. "He sucks." It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: amethyst and Kegsey

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He must be 100%, just like all the other players..
What kind of point is this argument supposed to deliver? If he had a hair fracture in his heel again, it would actually be better than still struggling with his groin. The heel can be solved with pain killers, the groin muscle cannot. The kind of injury you have actually matters, right? Or do you disagree? A hair fracture in your pinky is different from a heavy concussion or a torn ACL, right?

He doesn't have to be 100%, but a blue eye is alot easier to handle than something actually hampering your ability to play hockey. It can even be something as easy as being healthy, but cannot cope with the stamina of the game, after being out for so long, just before the crucially painful stretch of the playoffs.

Going from rehab to playoff hockey after being out for so long is extremely demanding. But he still looks injured, it's not only being out from hockey for so long. He didn't magically become ready to play hockey just for the playoffs, nope. That's him giving everything, so f*** off to all thinking he's "not caring".

It's not the same as in the Forsberg days, where he could be out for almost the entire year. The hockey is so much faster now, it's impossible these days to be able to dominate without keeping yourself in the zone. The players and the game is too fast, too demanding and too good.

Last edited:

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
The only problem I have with this line of thinking is that EK has been injured for the better part of 2 years now and when he performs well it's "wow look how good he is even when hurt" and when he doesn't perform well he gets the injury/off ice issues alibi, ensuring he's always criticism free or else everyone else must just be a hater.

Like you said, most reasonable people will realize why he's not on top of his game and why not every goal is his fault. But if you have to make excuses for every stretch of play but a month or two every couple of years, maybe the real story is health and consistency.

He's injured and still producing. What about all the players that aren't injured and didn't produce at all?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Marner has been on for 11 against, 7 for.
Muzzin has been on for 11 against, 3 for.
Giordano has been on for 10 against, 4 for.
Stamkos has been on for 9 against, 2 for.
Subban has been on for 8 against, 3 for.
McDonagh has been on for 10 against, 3 for.
Hedman has been on for 4 against, 1 for.

EK has been on for 14 against, 11 for.

Only Tampa has a worse save % in the playoffs than Sharks. EK might not be the best defender around his own net but there are a lot of factors that people completely ignore when they just look at goals against/for.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What kind of point is this argument supposed to deliver? If he had a hair fracture in his heel again, it would actually be better than still struggling with his groin. The heel can be solved with pain killers, the groin muscle cannot. The kind of injury you have actually matters, right? Or do you disagree? A hair fracture in your pinky is different from a heavy concussion or a torn ACL, right?

He doesn't have to be 100%, but a blue eye is alot easier to handle than something actually hampering your ability to play hockey. It can even be something as easy as being healthy, but cannot cope with the stamina of the game, after being out for so long, just before the crucially painful stretch of the playoffs.

Going from rehab to playoff hockey after being out for so long is extremely demanding. But he still looks injured, it's not only being out from hockey for so long. He didn't magically become ready to play hockey just for the playoffs, nope. That's him giving everything, so **** off to all thinking he's "not caring".

It's not the same as in the Forsberg days, where he could be out for almost the entire year. The hockey is so much faster now, it's impossible these days to be able to dominate without keeping yourself in the zone. The players and the game is too fast, too demanding and too good.

I've heard black eye, and black and blue eye, but never blue eye. This isn't a criticism, I'm seriously asking if that is a normal expression from what ever country or region you come from. I'd be curious to know as I always like learning about the different words used to describe things like sticker bush vs thorn bush or pop vs soda.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I've heard black eye, and black and blue eye, but never blue eye. This isn't a criticism, I'm seriously asking if that is a normal expression from what ever country or region you come from. I'd be curious to know as I always like learning about the different words used to describe things like sticker bush vs thorn bush or pop vs soda.
At least in Scandinavian languages it is. In Swedish we call it "blåöga" (blue eye), in Danish blåt øje. There's also the expression "to beat somebody (until they are) yellow and blue". A very old expression for how to handle traitors I guess, because otherwise that expression makes less sense.

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
At least in Scandinavian languages it is. In Swedish we call it "blåöga" (blue eye), in Danish blåt øje. There's also the expression "to beat somebody (until they are) yellow and blue". A very old expression for how to handle traitors I guess, because otherwise that expression makes less sense.
Isn't it "blåtira", though?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Okay, very interesting, thanks. It shows you how learning another language is not only about the words, but also the logic involved.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Karlsson is posing an interesting question. At what point are you too injured to help your team.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Karlsson is posing an interesting question. At what point are you too injured to help your team.

Is he injured that badly, or is it just like the start of the season? He sucked for the first 20 games, then got his legs and just beasted it up. Hopefully its something similar but doesn't take 20. 6 games will be perfect.

Reactions: Slimmy

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Germans use "blue eye", too. They beat people "green and blue", not "yellow and blue", though.

Reactions: CrypTic and Slimmy

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Is he injured that badly, or is it just like the start of the season? He sucked for the first 20 games, then got his legs and just beasted it up. Hopefully its something similar but doesn't take 20. 6 games will be perfect.

He is very clearly hurt. The guy has no first step. If he isn't already moving he is nothing more than a pylon for his opponents to skate around.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
He is very clearly hurt. The guy has no first step. If he isn't already moving he is nothing more than a pylon for his opponents to skate around.

Well if thats the case then he was hurt at the start of the year also, because he had no first step and couldn't pivot to save his life.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Well if thats the case then he was hurt at the start of the year also, because he had no first step and couldn't pivot to save his life.

You might be the only Shark's fan who thinks this is a fully healthy Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad