News: Erik Johnson waives his NMC

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah I think Donskoi is currently move valuable to Colorado while Graves would probably be more valuable league wide.
Both are replaceable though. I bet the Avs hope Seattle takes Donskoi. Graves has more trade value. If both are gone without taking back a contract, Frees up $7.1mm in cap space and Avs will be adding in UFA.

I’d look for ring chasers on one year deals. Hello Ryan Suter.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
And yet a bad season for Kadri was still nearly a 50 point pace over an 82 game season. There's no guarantee the Avs could replace that for $4.5 million. This is just sour grapes.
It’s not. Kadri had one solid season with the Avs and one lousy one followed by his typical playoff meltdown. He’s both inconsistent and unreliable. Great way to describe a 2C on a cup contender? Not exactly. Nor are the likely playoff disappearances. Dude is marked by Parros and his violent gentleman goons in player safety. Plus Kadri is also an idiot.

He’s also no long for the organization as there is no way he gets resigned. So he’s our rental as best case for him. And he’s still not a good 2C. Just an unreliable one coming off a bad season.

$4.5mm in the flat cap era buys you more than it used too. It can buy you more than crappy 2020-2021 Kadri.

and one reason why his point totals declined and disappointed last season. He got himself demoted off PP1. Remember when Mack got hurt and Jost was put on line 1C over Kadri. Kadri’s role and spot on the Avs is undefined, but he’s definitely in the organizations dog house. Not a good place for him to be and the trends are very bad.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Kadri needs a defensively sound powerforward and either a playmaker/shooter on his line. Kadri with two offensive players is never going to work
Kadri sucks at passing. He’s never been a good set up guy. He needs a passer to set him up. His shooting was way below his career average last year. That should improve.

His team worst plus minus of -7 is a result of his frequent brain farts that allow guys like Rakell to walk down the slot uncontested to hammer home goals. Don’t know how you fix Kadri’s many defensive lapses.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Kadri needs a defensively sound powerforward and either a playmaker/shooter on his line. Kadri with two offensive players is never going to work
Interesting considering his first year in Colorado he played mostly with Burakovsky and Donskoi and Kadri had 28 goals and 54 points in 66 games (regular season and playoffs combined).

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I get that Kadri is not trustworthy and certainly doesn’t fit the mold of an elite #2 center on a Cup team but frankly I’m not so eager to just let him go for a can of beans for this upcoming season given our lack of current options. It’s a contract year so I suspect we will see more of 19-20 Kadri this season. And he was a beast in the 19-20 playoffs with 9 goals and 18 points in 15 games.

There’s good Kadri and there’s bad Kadri. You have to take both. You can’t ignore last season but you also can’t just say the previous season didn’t happen either. If he’s closer to the 19-20 version, he’s certainly an asset you don’t want to dump without better options in place. Let him walk in ‘22, sure. But at the moment? I don’t think so. This team needs guys who can score goals outside the big line. Kadri can which, yes, makes his stupidity driven absence this spring even worse. But he’s who we got right now.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Why wouldn’t he have scored that much on the Sharks? His most common linemates were Val Nichushkin and Tyson Jost last year. Are these the strong teammates he needs which you referred to?
View attachment 452810
You don’t think he could have played with similar or perhaps even better talent in SJ?
No I do not. Nichu had a WAR of 1.5, Jost at 0.5. The sharks line mates he would likely have had were Gambrell with -0.11 and Nieto who was worse. The Avs are a supremely dominant team to bottom and Donskoi has fed off that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I get that Kadri is not trustworthy and certainly doesn’t fit the mold of an elite #2 center on a Cup team but frankly I’m not so eager to just let him go for a can of beans for this upcoming season given our lack of current options. It’s a contract year so I suspect we will see more of 19-20 Kadri this season. And he was a beast in the 19-20 playoffs with 9 goals and 18 points in 15 games.

There’s good Kadri and there’s bad Kadri. You have to take both. You can’t ignore last season but you also can’t just say the previous season didn’t happen either. If he’s closer to the 19-20 version, he’s certainly an asset you don’t want to dump without better options in place. Let him walk in ‘22, sure. But at the moment? I don’t think so. This team needs guys who can score goals outside the big line. Kadri can which, yes, makes his stupidity driven absence this spring even worse. But he’s who we got right now.
At least your analysis is fair. Not just a mindless platitude that Kadri is a good 2C and those of us Avs fans that don’t think so and worry about his inconsistencies are more than sour grapes.

but I am sour as F Kadri ruined the season with his third playoff meltdown in 4 years. Kadri is a huge reason/liability that saw the Avs go out in round 2 with a whimper.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Tbh he would have been bought out if he didn't waive. No disrespect to EJ, but the Avs weren't going to lose one of Toews, Makar or Girard.
They would've just bought him out, easy.

Is Johnson even eligible to be bought out? Injured players cannot be bought out.

Johnson only played 4 games in 2020-21, spending the final 86 days of the regular season on IR and not appearing in a single playoff game. Do we know if he passed his exit physical?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
@Mersss please post your admission of being wrong here. We deserve that much after all the garbage you have been posting here. Don't hide from your own posts.
Stupidest decision he could've ever taken, I stand by my word. Getting bought out would've bring him more $, plain and simple.

Only positive thing now is that he's a 6M$ bottom pair Dman, and with COL cap structure being real tight with Landy @ 8.5, Makar around 10 and Grubauer around 7/7.5, they won't be able to keep everyone, but still stuck with EJ!

Reactions: GordonGraham

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Stupidest decision he could've ever taken, I stand by my word. Getting bought out would've bring him more $, plain and simple.

Only positive thing now is that he's a 6M$ bottom pair Dman, and with COL cap structure being real tight with Landy @ 8.5, Makar around 10 and Grubauer around 7/7.5, they won't be able to keep everyone, but still stuck with EJ!
You stand by being 100% wrong. Got it. Interesting tact but you do you!

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Players are so dumb showing loyalty to any team , its a business the team doesnt care about you and will drop you when they feel like it

Reactions: jabubenice

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Why would Seattle take a guy who was out all last season with a $6M+ cap hit who is also out of his prime.

?

Well, funny thing here is before I get into the question you asked me, Jets made a trade to protect Toby Enstrom. But if Colorado makes a trade for Seattle to take Johnson, they should do it if only the thing that starts talking is a first rounder++. Something like the Clarkson to Vegas trade.

Seattle should rebuild considering guys like Shane Wright and Connor Bedard are on the rise.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
?

Well, funny thing here is before I get into the question you asked me, Jets made a trade to protect Toby Enstrom. But if Colorado makes a trade for Seattle to take Johnson, they should do it if only the thing that starts talking is a first rounder++. Something like the Clarkson to Vegas trade.

Seattle should rebuild considering guys like Shane Wright and Connor Bedard are on the rise.

The Kraken have no interest in EJ most likely and Sakic has no interest in giving them anything to take (or not take) EJ. Pretty sure part of the agreement to waive was the acknowledgement that Seattle most likely won't take EJ and that EJ gets to stay an Av in return for waiving assuming they don't take him. This was never about creating capspace for the Avs. It was about protection slots.

Reactions: Bender

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Kraken have no interest in EJ most likely and Sakic has no interest in giving them anything to take EJ. Pretty sure part of the agreement to waive was the acknowledgement that Seattle most likely won't take EJ and that EJ gets to stay an Av in return for waiving assuming they don't take him. This was never about creating capspace for the Avs. It was about protection slots.

I predict Seattle takes Compher from the Avs.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Can he waive on the condition they don't make a deal out of it, as in "I waive, but only to be exposed, you are not allowed to bribe them into taking me?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad