News: Erik Johnson waives his NMC

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Where’s the guy who said EJ wasn’t going to waive and that the Avs were going to expose Devon Toews? Lol. Avs are sitting pretty good with the expansion draft now - depending on Landeskog signing pre-XD or not, the best Seattle can do is like Graves or Donskoi. Maybe not even Donskoi.

Anyways - EJ is a heart and soul leader and team player so this was always expected. He could still definitely play a role on the Avs next year if he is healthy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That is an absolutely massive move for the Avs, good for them. Having to lose Toews would have sucked for the Avs.

I think the Avs should work out a deal with Seattle to make sure they don't take EJ, though. He did you guys a solid in making sure Toews didn't leave, they should return the favor and work out a deal so Seattle doesn't take him IMO.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I’d rather they take Graves. If Graves is on the team there is too much temptation for Bednar to overuse him in a top 4 role.

Graves is a moron. We want Seattle to take Donskoi so Sakic can turn around and trade Graves for a late pick and that's a total of 7 million AAV cleared.

I guess they can technically do it reversed where Seattle takes Graves and Sakic trades Donskoi, but I think Graves is more tradable being a big PK defenseman with only one year left.

Plus is sounds like Seattle already has a wealth of defenseman to chose from and not a ton of scoring forwards, so I think they end up taking Donskoi, who has two years left on his contract.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
That is an absolutely massive move for the Avs, good for them. Having to lose Toews would have sucked for the Avs.

I think the Avs should work out a deal with Seattle to make sure they don't take EJ, though. He did you guys a solid in making sure Toews didn't leave, they should return the favor and work out a deal so Seattle doesn't take him IMO.

Tbh he would have been bought out if he didn't waive. No disrespect to EJ, but the Avs weren't going to lose one of Toews, Makar or Girard.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008

I doubt they want him, his contract's pretty big and he's injured all the time (plus there's plenty of defensemen available for them), graves/donskoi likely fits what they need better

that said if they want a mid-round pick to not take EJ, he's done enough for the club (and suffered through the dark years) that I'd be fine throwing one Seattle's way

Reactions: Kschey

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

I don't think Seattle will pick him anyway, considering his injury issues. If they want a defensman, they can have Graves. And as much as he gets shit from the Avs fans, he's a decent guy who may even hit his ceiling as a second pairing guy eventually.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

They would have never have lost Toews. If forced to protect they would have gone 8 skaters and depending on if Landeskog gets signed pre or post expansion draft, wouldn't have even lost something dramatic. Mac, Rantanen, Makar, Girard, Toews, EJ, Burakovsky, Kadri/Landeskog.
Losing Burakovsky or Kadri wouldn't have been the end of the world considering that they only have 1 year left and had a bad year anyways.
Toews was never going to get exposed regardless.

But yeah good on EJ. What I expected. He really had nothing to gain and hopefully this avoids a buyout and he can come back strong next season or atleast have a chance to be on a roster that could win something after all the years he spent on bad Avs teams.

There is no need for any type of deal. Seattle is not going to take EJ. And if they do while it would really suck for EJ, it would be a godsend for the Avs capsituation. But Seattle is always taking one of Donskoi or even Graves over EJ anyways. So no need for that discussion.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Tbh he would have been bought out if he didn't waive. No disrespect to EJ, but the Avs weren't going to lose one of Toews, Makar or Girard.

Absolutely true but there was a surprisingly common misconception around here that the Avs would be somehow "forced" to expose Toews if EJ hadn't waived. That was never the truth but it made for a sexier, if completely unrealistic option for Seattle to discuss. The amount of dumb and completely uninformed mock expansion drafts I saw online with Toews being exposed and picked was mind-numbing. This at least puts that notion to bed.

This does cement our ability to protect all our secondary scorers like Kadri and Bura and also comfortably protect our inexpensive role players like Nuke and Jost...their value in having a well-defined role at inexpensive cap hits is going to be very important moving forward.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So they take Graves. That’s what we all expected

No they are most likely taking Donskoi (or Jost or whatever cheap but decent forward the Avs expose).
I really do not understand how people still believe that a team absolutely starved for forwards while having an abundance of solid Ds would pick Graves over Donskoi...

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
No they are most likely taking Donskoi (or Jost or whatever cheap but decent forward the Avs expose).
I really do not understand how people still believe that a team absolutely starved for forwards while having an abundance of solid Ds would pick Graves over Donskoi...
Donskoi isn’t that good??? I’m a sharks fan I watched him for years. He’s a total complimentary piece and without any form of top player he will fall right back into being a meh third liner who’s expensive.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Where’s the guy who said EJ wasn’t going to waive and that the Avs were going to expose Devon Toews? Lol. Avs are sitting pretty good with the expansion draft now - depending on Landeskog signing pre-XD or not, the best Seattle can do is like Graves or Donskoi. Maybe not even Donskoi.

Anyways - EJ is a heart and soul leader and team player so this was always expected. He could still definitely play a role on the Avs next year if he is healthy.
Mersss…. And EJ waived a few weeks ago. This is just a formal announcement. Twitter had this a while back.

Seattle will take Graves or Donskoi. Avs won’t need to offer anything to protect someone.
That said, I’d gladly trade Kadri to Seattle for them to take JTC. Now that’s a great way to free up $8mm while losing nothing of value. And keeping actual contributors like Donny and Graves.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’s also not worth $6 mill in cap hit. waiving for the ED helps the Avs now but this wouldn’t signal that he accept a trade elsewhere since his nmc protects his spot on the 23 man roster.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Donskoi isn’t that good??? I’m a sharks fan I watched him for years. He’s a total complimentary piece and without any form of top player he will fall right back into being a meh third liner who’s expensive.
Donakoi is coming off his career high water mark for goals. Amd more good D will be exposed than forwards. Seattle will take one of Graves of Donny.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Donskoi is probably one of the best forwards available for them. He was scoring at a 50 point pace this season and has a decent contract for that.

They IMO should have 6 better options on D available to pick over Graves who really isn't that good.
Odds are they will pick Donskoi or maybe even one of our cheaper forwards depending on who gets exposed over Graves.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Avs would protect Jost over Kadri. That’s a no brainer.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Good on EJ for waiving he must be aware that his contract and other available options for selection make him safe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad