News: Erik Johnson waives his NMC

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Avs will probably need to make a trade here to either protect or have Seattle take Johnson.

But if he does end up in Seattle, I wonder if it means Jones will end up in Colorado. But either way they're going to need to extend Landeskog.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Donskoi isn’t that good??? I’m a sharks fan I watched him for years. He’s a total complimentary piece and without any form of top player he will fall right back into being a meh third liner who’s expensive.
Wait? Donskoi isn’t good? He had 31 points in 51 games. That would have been good for third on the Sharks and he did it without ever playing on the top line 5v5, (though he did spend some time on PP1 later in the season).

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That is an absolutely massive move for the Avs, good for them. Having to lose Toews would have sucked for the Avs.

I think the Avs should work out a deal with Seattle to make sure they don't take EJ, though. He did you guys a solid in making sure Toews didn't leave, they should return the favor and work out a deal so Seattle doesn't take him IMO.

Seattle would be nuts to take EJ.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Wait? Donskoi isn’t good? He had 31 points in 51 games. That would have been good for third on the Sharks and he did it without ever playing on the top line 5v5, (though he did spend some time on PP1 later in the season).

It's not necessarily that he isn't good, it's that he is very streaky. It would be fine, if it wasn't for the fact that the Avs already have Kadri and Burakovsky who are incredibly hot/cold players, and Jost and Nichushkin who are offensive blackholes. To add onto that, JTC is a 3.5 million dollar piece of floating debris more often than not.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It's not necessarily that he isn't good, it's that he is very streaky. It would be fine, if it wasn't for the fact that the Avs already have Kadri and Burakovsky who are incredibly hot/cold players
That's kinda why those guys are 2nd/3rd line players.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
The Avs will probably need to make a trade here to either protect or have Seattle take Johnson.

But if he does end up in Seattle, I wonder if it means Jones will end up in Colorado. But either way they're going to need to extend Landeskog.

Why would Seattle take a guy who was out all last season with a $6M+ cap hit who is also out of his prime.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Avs would protect Jost over Kadri. That’s a no brainer.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. At the end of the day, Jost has a career high of 26 points and it's unknown how he'd do in a full-time top 6 role, role that he's likely never going to get in Colorado. I certainly don't view him as a player who is going to 100% take off, he's not a kid anymore nor do i think he's anything special.

I guess we'll see how the organization values him, i have no idea what their expectations for him are at this point. Or how mad they are with Kadri.

If we leave all that aside and think logically, Kadri is still a proven 2C in this league, and while his antics in the playoffs are well known, he can still play an important role to give Newhook a full season to adjust and take some pressure off instead of throwing him into the fire.

I mean, Jost played his role fine this year but he doesn't really move the needle for anybody and he's fairly expendable for the Avs. If the going rate for 2nd liners have been 2nd+3rd the last few years, i wouldn't expect Jost to return that much in a trade, so yeah i don't think he's that valuable.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Mersss…. And EJ waived a few weeks ago. This is just a formal announcement. Twitter had this a while back.

Seattle will take Graves or Donskoi. Avs won’t need to offer anything to protect someone.
That said, I’d gladly trade Kadri to Seattle for them to take JTC. Now that’s a great way to free up $8mm while losing nothing of value. And keeping actual contributors like Donny and Graves.
You want a Stanley Cup contender to go into next season with no #2c? Seems like a monumentally stupid move.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
But he wouldn’t have scored that well on the sharks. He’s a fine player but he’s expensive for what he provides and needs very strong teammates to produce. I would not take him as Seattle unless I find a way to get a true top six center which I doubt they will

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Donskoi or Graves are the most likely picks for Seattle.

Pretty bad options considering the roster, all the Avs interesting pieces are either protected or exempt.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
But he wouldn’t have scored that well on the sharks. He’s a fine player but he’s expensive for what he provides and needs very strong teammates to produce. I would not take him as Seattle unless I find a way to get a true top six center which I doubt they will
Why wouldn’t he have scored that much on the Sharks? His most common linemates were Val Nichushkin and Tyson Jost last year. Are these the strong teammates he needs which you referred to?
B268DF15-DAAC-4506-921D-D8047E4403A1.png

You don’t think he could have played with similar or perhaps even better talent in SJ?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't know who Seattle would pick but I'd rather keep Donskoi - as inconsistent as he is. With the second line a bit of a question mark, I'll take all the supplemental offense we can get - Donkey is pretty skilled and can generate offense from a 13-14 minute / night third line role with poor offensive linemates. Granted it tends to come in bushels followed by dry spells but it won us some games early this past season. I don't think he's terribly overpaid for what he brings in the overall scope of a season and while I have no major qualms about losing him to Seattle or about dealing him to save cap and gain an asset back (I would not view him as a cap dump at all) - I also don't mind if he stays.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't know who Seattle would pick but I'd rather keep Donskoi - as inconsistent as he is. With the second line a bit of a question mark, I'll take all the supplemental offense we can get - Donkey is pretty skilled and can generate offense from a 13-14 minute / night third line role with poor offensive linemates. Granted it tends to come in bushels followed by dry spells but it won us some games early this past season. I don't think he's terribly overpaid for what he brings in the overall scope of a season and while I have no major qualms about losing him to Seattle or about dealing him to save cap and gain an asset back (I would not view him as a cap dump at all) - I also don't mind if he stays.
Yeah I think Donskoi is currently move valuable to Colorado while Graves would probably be more valuable league wide.

Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You want a Stanley Cup contender to go into next season with no #2c? Seems like a monumentally stupid move.
Kadri is a crappy number 2C so we’d be doing that anyway. This idea Kadri solves 2C is strange. Kadri was the single worst underperformer last season. Before his playoff melt down.

the Avs biggish hole isn’t 3C. That’s Jost. It’s 2C. And Jost is no 2C. Newhook will be some day. So maybe he plays 4C this year.

Last edited:

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Kadri is a crappy number 2C so we’d be doing that anyway. This idea Kadri solves 2C is strange. Kadri was the single worst underperformer last season. Before his playoff melt down.

the Avs biggish hole isn’t 3C. That’s Jost. It’s 2C. And Jost is no 2C. Newhook will be some day. So maybe he plays 4C this year.
And yet a bad season for Kadri was still nearly a 50 point pace over an 82 game season. There's no guarantee the Avs could replace that for $4.5 million. This is just sour grapes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad