Player Discussion Erik Haula

Status
Not open for further replies.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
Haula looks pretty good at this level but there are definate areas he still needs to improve like faceoffs, positioning and overall strength. Typical for a guy just a year out of college. Some time at Iowa would help his development, but he is close and can help the big team now. I imagine he'll be back and forth this year alot.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Call me a simple guy, but I don't get why the Wild simply didn't plug Haula into Granlund's spot with Poms and Nino till Granlund got back. Replace one 20 year old, skilled, smallish, Finnish center with a 21 year old skilled,smallish, Finnish center.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Call me a simple guy, but I don't get why the Wild simply didn't plug Haula into Granlund's spot with Poms and Nino till Granlund got back. Replace one 20 year old, skilled, smallish, Finnish center with a 21 year old skilled,smallish, Finnish center.

Because Yeolo. :shakehead

I'm actually serious.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
pure speculation but maybe Yeo and company don't feel ready for Haula to be the number 2 center.

Charlie Coyle has definitely had a rough go at it but he is getting slightly better each game. Maybe the Wild feel that if they give him time he will adapt? It does take time...

space321

May 11, 2011
Haula didn't play bad at all, but the last couple games he was on the 4th line playing less than 10mins/night with Rupp and Mitchell so I didn't expect him to produce. Hope he goes back to the AHL knowing what the NHL is like and continues to improve.

OpRedDawn*

Sucks that he didn't get a real shot. Might as well just have Vayoo as the only callup from now on

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
they should give phillips a look, hes just been overlooked over and over again and never even given a shot.

can't help but think that being given this no look what so ever treatment is affecting his development.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
they should give phillips a look, hes just been overlooked over and over again and never even given a shot.

can't help but think that being given this no look what so ever treatment is affecting his development.

Maybe this is just box score watching, but has he done anything to deserve a call up?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Phillips is still at least a year off before he sees NHL ice.

I think he knows he'll take longer to develop than a guy like Coyle. I'm really not worried that he'll get restless in Iowa.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Phillips is still at least a year off before he sees NHL ice.

I think he knows he'll take longer to develop than a guy like Coyle. I'm really not worried that he'll get restless in Iowa.

That is my issue with Zucker TBH. You can't keep kids who are lighting it up in the AHL down for another year or so. I wouldn't put it past him not signing a deal.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That is my issue with Zucker TBH. You can't keep kids who are lighting it up in the AHL down for another year or so. I wouldn't put it past him not signing a deal.

I would. RFA's with limited NHL experience like Zucker have zero leverage. None. His only leverage is to give up the NHL dream and go play overseas.

He makes more playing in the AHL with 20 or so NHL call up games then he would overseas.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
What's with the musical chairs for call-ups? How is a player going to feel comfortable if he only gets a few games before he sees the ax? So what if Haula is only playing 4th-line minutes. He's been noticeable no matter the amount he gets. Should have moved Huala to the 2nd-line and kicked Coyle to wing where he's far more effective.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I would. RFA's with limited NHL experience like Zucker have zero leverage. None. His only leverage is to give up the NHL dream and go play overseas.

He makes more playing in the AHL with 20 or so NHL call up games then he would overseas.

Who says he has to play in Europe? Or that some other team wouldn't offer him more than what he is making right now on a one-way deal? Especially if the cap is going up and he can fill a 2nd line winger role and is still pretty young. Happened before.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/26179-phoenix-coyotes-blake-wheeler-opts-for-free-agency

The Phoenix Coyotes rebuilding project just took a major hit, after losing one of its more important pieces. Blake Wheeler has decided to try his luck in the free agency pool instead of accepting a contract officered from Coyotes GM, Don Maloney.

“We offered Blake a contract which was both commensurate with his draft position and far exceeded any guaranteed contract he can receive, under the current CBA, with any other team,†said Maloney. “He has decided, however, that becoming a free agent is in his best interest.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Since when is Zucker lighting it up in the AHL? 12 points in 16 games is good, quite good, but it's not exactly what I would call lighting it up (at least not when you're making the argument that he doesn't have anything left to prove there, not that I'm trying to put words in your mouth, just extrapolating). When he's been called up to the NHL, he hasn't been good there. He's not ready yet for a full-time NHL duty. Maybe this time he'll prove us wrong. One of these times he probably will, this year or (more likely) next. Last year he forced Yeo and Fletcher to keep him up. This year he hasn't, and that's not their fault.

If I'm being a cynical observer, I would almost argue that he keeps forcing them to send him down.

Wheeler was a special exception, due to the way the rules of FA was structured within the CBA at that time. It had something to do with him going to college as long as he did, allowing him to become a different class of FA, though I don't remember the exact details. Maybe somebody else who knows more can chime in on that. Zucker, I am 99% certain, isn't in that situation.
Now, if you're arguing that someone could offer sheet him, I'd say good luck to it. We'd either match it if it's low enough, or if it's high enough, let him go and get some nice draft picks in compensation.

What I think he would get offered is something in these ranges, listed as price per year - offer sheet compensation:

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick & 3rd round pick

If he gets offered less than 3.364m, I think we'd match it. If he got offered more than that, why keep him as a pricey, not yet developed, defensively suspect (non)scorer? Honestly, looking at this, there is no team in the league that I think would even risk an offer sheet on Zucker.
*Edit* Those are 12-13 offer sheet numbers. They'll be a little higher prices this time, but it doesn't really change what I think teams are willing/not willing to do.

Last edited:

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
You can certainly keep kids who play well in the AHL. Just look at Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad