Player Discussion Erik Haula

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You're in the NHL locker room and the coach is giving the pre-game speech. Which seems the more likely scenario:

1. "Defense has to watch out for Pominville when he's on the ice...he's got a way of sneaking behind the D and finding loose pucks. Make sure to keep the forwards to the outside. Defensemen, gap up and take away their ice and force them to dump it in. Now listen guys, there's a couple players on that team who will run you over if you play dirty. We don't want anyone getting hurt. Make sure your hits are clean out there."

2. "Defense has to watch out for Pominville when he's on the ice...he's got a way of sneaking behind the D and finding loose pucks. Make sure to keep the forwards to the outside. Defensemen, gap up and take away their ice and force them to dump it in. Now listen guys, this team is LETHAL on the power play. They're going to kill us if we make mistakes. We have to avoid penalties at all costs. Make sure your hits are clean and watch the hooks and holds."

If we're talking about opposing teams when the Wild play, I'll take option 3.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Another good game by Haula. Nothing earthshaking , but he looks like he belongs, seems to be decent defensively, and shows flashes of offensive promise. I can see him filling in on the top 6, but also playing in the bottom 6. Wouldn't look out of place on either the PP or PK, IMO.

I think the Wild should treat him as if he is a Granlund clone. Just make him the second line C with Nino and Poms. His skill set certainly seems similar to Granlunds.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Haula has been much more ready than i expected.

He could really benefit from centering poms and nino
Agree.
Much rather have Haula centering the 2nd line and Coyle on the 1st line RW. Pominville just doesn't work with that top group and Coyle is better at wing.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
I know it's early but I think the kid has a real shot to be the future 3rd line center of this team.

Don't mind him being on the 4th if Coyle continues to play well at 2nd line center like he did tonight but if Yeo chooses to juggles lines again I'd like to see him center the second line.

Loved watching him play at U of M and kudos to Fletcher for snagging him in the 7th.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Does he have any real shot to stay when Granlund comes back?
You guys do have a full roster now and according to capgeek he and Dumba are the only guys that dosn't have to go through the waivers..
If he does stay, i would love to see two young finnish on the same line, some kind of weird extra line or are Granlund a second line center?

Edit: of course Coyle and Nino as well, but even i know that they aren't a option.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Honestly I'm not sure if he has a spot on this team in the future. Only cause I think he'll be a solid 2nd line guy, and we don't need one of those.

Haula's good.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
When Granlund comes back, I'd like to see Haula tried at 3C. He could be very effective with Heatley/Cooke and Mitchell/Fonz. Heatley probably could benefit from some speedy linemates and Haula's passing ability. Drop Brodz to 4C and scratch Konopka. He's a useful 4C, but Brodziak is simply better.

He really looks good in NHL, awful lot better than Granlund did last year actually. With that said, I'm not sure what his upside is. Really a positive surprise to see him adjust so well.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
When Granlund comes back, I'd like to see Haula tried at 3C. He could be very effective with Heatley/Cooke and Mitchell/Fonz. Heatley probably could benefit from some speedy linemates and Haula's passing ability. Drop Brodz to 4C and scratch Konopka. He's a useful 4C, but Brodziak is simply better.

He really looks good in NHL, awful lot better than Granlund did last year actually. With that said, I'm not sure what his upside is. Really a positive surprise to see him adjust so well.

Agreed. I would really like to see that line. Konopka and Rupp should only be brought in on games where physicality will be needed.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula is almost a full year older than Granlund, so all things being equal (they aren't, one was a high first rounder, the other a seventh) he should be farther along. He might not have Granlund's hands or vision, but he's pretty damn close in both departments. He is faster than Granlund, and seems to understand how (and how not to) to play physically in the NHL, a thing that Granlund is still trying to figure out.

Personally, I think it would be a shame not to use his offensive talents on a line. He is not a rough and tumble grinder, but a fast, offensively sophisticated, versatile forward. Maybe a line with Cooke and Fontaine? Brodziak, Mitchell, and thug de jour would make for a good fourth.

Maybe on a line with Zucker in the future? Would be interesting to see if Haula could be the set up man that makes him go. At least Haula has the speed to stay somewhat near him on an odd man rush.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I can be wrong because i haven't watch than couple of Granlunds game, but i don't understand how Granlund don't know how to play physical game? Like this concussion would be his fault.
I remember when he got that first one in Finland and people was saying that he has to change his style to play, but he wont because going on those dirty areas is part of his game.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Really like what I've seen from Haula so far. It feels like he's playing with some intensity right now and I hope he keeps it up.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
He sure makes The Pominville deal look better now. 2 points in 4 games vs. 1 in 17 for Larsson (small sample size). He seems as likely to succeed long term as well given his skill set and 2 way play.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
On the one hand, I've been surprised by Larsson's lack of success in the NHL so far and that Haula looks relatively well adapted. And yes, this (along with Pominville's play) makes the deal much more palatable.

On the other hand, Haula is 16 months older than Larsson, so we would have to look at his performance next year.

Of course, we do have smaller sample size. When we look at AHL stats:

Haula: 24gp 4g 8a 12pts = 0.50ppg
Larsson: 75gp 18g 30a 48pts = 0.64ppg

In their (brief) times in the AHL, Larsson has put up the better numbers.

I still think Larsson's going to be the better player, but Haula's speed is surprising to me and so far he looks like he can be a very nice middle six center. He's nearly 23 so I don't know how much more potential he has to improve. Not saying he has maxed out, but he's not super young like Granlund was last year.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
You can also consider that this is Larsson's 4th season of professional hockey, whereas Haula was still playing college hockey this time last season, and has only 28 games of pro hockey under his belt.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
On the one hand, I've been surprised by Larsson's lack of success in the NHL so far and that Haula looks relatively well adapted. And yes, this (along with Pominville's play) makes the deal much more palatable.

On the other hand, Haula is 16 months older than Larsson, so we would have to look at his performance next year.

I still think Larsson's going to be the better player, but Haula's speed is surprising to me and so far he looks like he can be a very nice middle six center. He's nearly 23 so I don't know how much more potential he has to improve. Not saying he has maxed out, but he's not super young like Granlund was last year.

Who does Larsson have as linemates?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
No idea, but the fact that he plays for Buffalo works against him. I think he has 7 points in 6 games in the AHL since being sent down last week, which suggests he's a dominant player down there. Haula hasn't hit that level yet.

Still really like Haula, just putting a little perspective out there.

Totally agree with you, and it shows that Larsson is ready for big boy pants, where Eric is only here for a short stint (we hope). Sad we lost him as a player, but Pommer has been a bigger asset NOW than what Larsson would be. Leipold has stated time and time again he wants to win now, not the next year. The top guys are still relatively young now. In 4 years, going to be a very different story.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

I think Larsson will end up the better player, but I think difference between him and Haula will be much smaller than most of us were expecting.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Haula continues to play the way he is, I can't see him being sent down. He adds speed , skill, and savvy to this team.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
He hasn't looked out of place in the NHL thus far. Great to see, heck if Coyle and the 2nd line continue to struggle, don't know why you don't throw him and Pominville together on a second line and see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad