Player Discussion Erik Gustafsson: The "Don't Panic, It's Not Gudbranson" Edition

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I have never seen this player play but was only able to fetch a 7th rounder for Philly says alot

At the same time people think we lost a Top 4 defender in Mete and no one was willing to trade a 7th for him.

Reactions: Locks

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah solid enough to be a 6/7th that's real solid quality right there

Merril is not a 6th d man on this Habs team and certainly not a 7th. Maybe that’s where they will put him, but he’s better than that. He’s probably better than everyone outside of romanov and Petry. He’s a more mobile edmunson. Sometimes a mix is not right in a team. We’re to slow. He’s faster than most our d men.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There’s a sports axiom that says that once you display a skill, you own it.

Gustafsson has that offensive capability — it couldn’t have been a one-off. Question is to find out how to untap it.
That's if the team is at all interested in tapping into that offensive capability that is...like you said, it's there.

Are the Habs willing to live with the other holes in his game...

Unlikely

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Merril is not a 6th d man on this Habs team and certainly not a 7th. Maybe that’s where they will put him, but he’s better than that. He’s probably better than everyone outside of romanov and Petry. He’s a more mobile edmunson. Sometimes a mix is not right in a team. We’re to slow. He’s faster than most our d men.
Skating was once Merrill's calling card...granted I haven't watched a ton of him over the last few years.

So not sure if that's still a strength but I doubt he's slowed down considerably

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That's if the team is at all interested in tapping into that offensive capability that is...like you said, it's there.

Are the Habs willing to live with the other holes in his game...

Unlikely

this... and, short of Petry, we don't have a dman to pair with him with the kind of speed/mobility/sense to be able to cover for him regularly to mitigate those kinds of shortcomings.

Reactions: 417

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Habs have had this type of dman before with mixed results.

Marc Andre Bergeron worked out well.
Nesterov did not.

Reactions: 26Mats

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009

Swedish part of the zoom call:
Q How are you managing the quaranteen:
A A stationary bike, two weights, food for a couple of days, I've got my xbox and computer, watching some films, trying to work out, zoom calls with the coaches, friends and so on. So far so good, might start scrathing the wall towards the end of it

Q Montreal is fighting for a playoff spot, how does it feel to join a team tredning upwards compared to Philadelphia
A Obviously feels good to join a team with a shot at the PO, didn't really show what I can do in Philadelphia, really looking forward to play here and see how I can contribute

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would have liked to ask him what he’s done about improving his defensive game, which unlike the scoring talent that he possesses, can be learned.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I would have liked to ask him what he’s done about improving his defensive game, which unlike the scoring talent that he possesses, can be learned.

Had a chance to review footage of him and he certainly might be the PMD that many have clamored for. Has offensive skill and flare but questionable on D. Can see him getting a look at some point as well as Merrill, a scrappy take no crap kind of guy that is a more D inclined type player. Can see both getting a look. Both can play either side and skate decently. An upgrade on Kulak and Romanov perhaps.:dunno:

Reactions: HankyZetts

Locks

May 28, 2005
Had a chance to review footage of him and he certainly might be the PMD that many have clamored for. Has offensive skill and flare but questionable on D. Can see him getting a look at some point as well as Merrill, a scrappy take no crap kind of guy that is a more D inclined type player. Can see both getting a look. Both can play either side and skate decently. An upgrade on Kulak and Romanov perhaps.:dunno:

Yes, your impressions are consistent with the reports I read on him. It will be interesting to see how they use him to maximize his skillset. As for Merrill, I expect him to be in the lineup as early as Monday against Edmonton. DD is clearly not a fan of Kulak and neither am I.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Habs have had this type of dman before with mixed results.

Marc Andre Bergeron worked out well.
Nesterov did not.

From the little I've seen of him in highlights, and from some things I've heard in scouting reports, it seems this could potentially be more of a Mark Streit situation - i.e. he can play wing 5 on 5 and D on the PP.

But I doubt they even try it.

If he's really a disaster in his own end, his help on the pp won't make up for it.
But speaking of MAB, man could he ever fire a puck. Highest velocity of shot per inch of height in league history?

Reactions: donghabs98

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yes, your impressions are consistent with the reports I read on him. It will be interesting to see how they use him to maximize his skillset. As for Merrill, I expect him to be in the lineup as early as Monday against Edmonton. DD is clearly not a fan of Kulak and neither am I.

Maybe Merrill can eat some of Webers minutes.

Reactions: Locks

Locks

May 28, 2005
Maybe Merrill can eat some of Webers minutes.
I hope so. Based on David St-Louis analysis, he can provide top 4 quality minutes. David also qualifies him as a 'puck-mover'.
As for Gus, it is not just puck-moving that he can bring, but his game as an offensive defenseman that Habs so desperately need. On the PP in particular, having a real QB and a one-time shooter like Cole can transform a powerplay.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I hope so. Based on David St-Louis analysis, he can provide top 4 quality minutes. David also qualifies him as a 'puck-mover'.
As for Gus, it is not just puck-moving that he can bring, but his game as an offensive defenseman that Habs so desperately need. On the PP in particular, having a real QB and a one-time shooter like Cole can transform a powerplay.

Ducharme doesn't seem like a guy who likes to rock the boat, but I wonder what the chances are that Gus kicks Weber off the PP.

If you are going to take chances with him 5 on 5, you have to put him in a situation which might make it worth it, and that is the PP, where Weber is the weakest link.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Ducharme doesn't seem like a guy who likes to rock the boat, but I wonder what the chances are that Gus kicks Weber off the PP.

If you are going to take chances with him 5 on 5, you have to put him in a situation which might make it worth it, and that is the PP, where Weber is the weakest link.

At this point, Gus does not need to kick Weber off the PP. Weber is the shooter, he can't do nothing else there, while Gus is the QB. It could be like when Markov and Weber were playing on PP or, in the past, Markov(QB) and Souray(Shooter), Markov(QB) and Schneider (Shooter).
In fact, DD has alluded to the possibility of using two defensemen on PP.

Reactions: 417

Jul 6, 2016
At this point, Gus does not need to kick Weber off the PP. Weber is the shooter, he can't do nothing else there, while Gus is the QB. It could be like when Markov and Weber were playing on PP or, in the past, Markov(QB) and Souray(Shooter), Markov(QB) and Schneider (Shooter).

He should. Drouin is worthless. Too bad the Petry-Weber combo doesn't seem to work.

Reactions: MasterD and Locks

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Weber's shot is no longer much of a threat, and he does not hold the line like he used to.

Locks

May 28, 2005
He should. Drouin is worthless. Too bad the Petry-Weber combo doesn't seem to work.

Yes, Petry-Weber combo does not work because both are shooters without much vision. Habs don't have a QB since Markov departed to the motherland. That's why I hope Gus is the solution until Norlinder/Brook/Struble is ready. I think Leskinen might help next year too as a secondary option.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I don't see how Gus gets in the lineup, except at 4th line LW/RW, or if Merrill sucks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad