Player Discussion Erik Gustafsson: The "Don't Panic, It's Not Gudbranson" Edition

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's time to give Romanov a promotion

Edmundson – Petry
Romanov – Weber
Gustafsson/Kulak – Merril

I agree, in the playoffs, just go with Romanov and Caufield in big roles. We know the status quo sucks. So might as well give them a shot.

Edmundson Petry
Romanov Weber
Chiarot/Gus/Kulak - Merrill

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Dom said today that playing seven Ds is an option they are considering but admitted that it is not perfect.

The 4th line as it currently stands, Drouin Staal Perry, certainly is not sure to stick.

There definitely seems to be an opening for Gus to join it...

Reactions: Locks

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I think Erik The Retread had the most impressive debut with his new team of any trade deadline acquisition this year. Two points, plus 2, 5 SOG, in less than a dozen minutes of playing time, I believe.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Gustafsson has been on for 3 of the 5 goals the Habs scored the last two games and has only averaged 9 minutes a game.

At times he has looked like a disaster in his own end, but given most of our D do I would rather keep the guy in who can at least provide offence.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gustafsson has been on for 3 of the 5 goals the Habs scored the last two games and has only averaged 9 minutes a game.

At times he has looked like a disaster in his own end, but given most of our D do I would rather keep the guy in who can at least provide offence.
I think Gus/Merrill/Kulak all fight for that same spot.....I would like to see Gus get a shot at a couple of games to see what we have. Still think they will revert back to Kulak, and Gus and Merrill will be 7-8 depth for the playoffs.

Mr Fox

Hungry since '93
Aug 21, 2013
I don't understand this guy. His offensive instincts are so good, but defensively he looks like he just doesn't care.

We've had players in the past who looked completely overwhelmed in their own zone, but this guy just look like he doesn't care if he doesn't have the puck on his stick.

May very well be perception, but still, I'd like to see more involvment from him. Even if it leads to the same outcome, at least show efforts.

Reactions: gillyguzzler

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I don't understand this guy. His offensive instincts are so good, but defensively he looks like he just doesn't care.

We've had players in the past who looked completely overwhelmed in their own zone, but this guy just look like he doesn't care if he doesn't have the puck on his stick.

May very well be perception, but still, I'd like to see more involvment from him. Even if it leads to the same outcome, at least show efforts.
Yep... exactly.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What a complete fail of pro scouting...

complete liability defensively, and the offensive instinct/skill he does bring clearly doesn't offset the flaws, especially at this time of year.

not a player that has any business in the lineup for a team trying to make/play in the playoffs. Pure MAB style flashy filler for a rebuild focused team looking for some cheap offense. MB fails to read the room yet again.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What a complete fail of pro scouting...

complete liability defensively, and the offensive instinct/skill he does bring clearly doesn't offset the flaws, especially at this time of year.

not a player that has any business in the lineup for a team trying to make/play in the playoffs. Pure MAB style flashy filler for a rebuild focused team looking for some cheap offense. MB fails to read the room yet again.

Plus dom seems to think he won't be as effective at forward as a regular forward.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Warned everyone; this kid just shouldn't be in the NHL...makes MAB look Norris level...when the puck isn't on his stick in the offensive zone, he's a complete liability on the ice and even when it is, he's just as likely to make a terrible play and cough it up as he is to do anything half-decent with it...should never see the ice in a Habs uniform again, Kulak and Ouellet are better options (as was Mete)...another Bargain Bin fail...surprise, surprise, surprise...:banghead:

Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Warned everyone; this kid just shouldn't be in the NHL...makes MAB look Norris level...when the puck isn't on his stick in the offensive zone, he's a complete liability on the ice and even when it is, he's just as likely to make a terrible play and cough it up as he is to do anything half-decent with it...should never see the ice in a Habs uniform again, Kulak and Ouellet are better options (as was Mete)...another Bargain Bin fail...surprise, surprise, surprise...:banghead:
Regrettably, you just can't fix dumb.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
A top 5 controller disconnect moment last night. I've never seen a NHL defenseman miss a puck like that before. At least we got a highlight reel defenseman now :sarcasm:
Can this be seen anywhere?

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec

He's not great that's for sure. But MAB backward skating was so much worse! By far the D-man with the worse skating I've seen play in the NHL. He was always on the verge of falling backwards. Just looking at him you had no confidence :laugh:

Reactions: HankyZetts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->