Player Discussion Erik Gustafsson: The "Don't Panic, It's Not Gudbranson" Edition

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Of course Therrien wouldn' say Gus sucks. You just can't say those kind of things. The fact of the matter is, Gus is horrible defensively. I hope he won'tplay much and certainly hope they don't pair him with Weber.

I'm willing to live with his defensive warts if it means he will help produce offense like he has throughout his career.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The guy was traded for a 4th pick to calgary at last season trade deadline if i can recall right. All this while being on a 0,5 ppg pace and after posting a 60 pts season the year before.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'm willing to live with his defensive warts if it means he will help produce offense like he has throughout his career.

Chicago wasn't ready to live with his defensive warts. Neither was Calgary nor Philly. I mean, we will see but i hope they use him properly, which is on the PP and the bare minimum for the rest of the time.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Chicago wasn't ready to live with his defensive warts. Neither was Calgary nor Philly. I mean, we will see but i hope they use him properly, which is on the PP and the bare minimum for the rest of the time.

Calgary brought him in as a rental. But they tried to re-sign him. But he was a UFA. So he opted to sign in Philly. Montreal are bringing him in as a rental, too.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Philly also just signed Cam York, who is another defenseman in the same mold as Gustafsson and Gotisbetshire. I imagine they want to make room for him.

Reactions: salbutera

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
The way I think it went:

- His 60-point season was obviously an outlier. We can't take it away from him, but we can't expect him to put that kind of production annually. It's similar to Ghost, who had a 65-point season and 3 years later, he was on waivers.

- Despite that 60-point season, Gustafsson has always produced at a 30+ point pace. That is more his usual pace of production. Which is a welcome contribution in Montreal.

- Last year, at the TDL, Chicago was in the same spot as Montreal, they were sellers, despite both of them getting into the play-in/playoffs through the back door. So they moved Gustafsson, who was going to be a UFA, to Calgary. There, he had 3 pts in 7 GP and 4 pts in 10 playoff games.

- He signed as a free agent in Philadelphia. He still produced at a 30+ point pace. He had 10 pts in 24 games. Unfortunately, in Philly, he was a surplus to requirements. Flyers already have Ghost, who also brings what Gustafsson brings. So with Gustafsson being a UFA again this off-season, Flyers were willing to part with him and willing take just about anything for him, as is evident with them accepting a 7th and retaining 50% of his salary.

Until Chiarot returns, I expect Gustafsson to get time with Weber. When Chiarot returns, then it will be a juggling act. Because if Gustafsson comes in and contributes, Ducharme may just keep him in the line-up.

I hope your optimism isn't misplaced here, I really do...now pairing him with Weber would be a massive mistake, imo, as Weber can no longer cover for his own boneheaded mistakes, let alone for someone who gets walked more than most dogs...the only one I would truly trust with him would be Mr. Ed, as he's done a good job with Petry, but that means either Kulak, Merill, or Chairot are with Petry...no bueno...

Therrien yesterday on JiC explained why the Flyers traded Gustafsson. And it's exactly what MB said in his presser and what some of us have been saying on here. Gustafsson is similar to Gostisbehere and the Flyers didn't want to ice two defensemen who play the same kind of game. And Ghost has been playing well for the last month or so, which is why Gustafsson has been a healthy scratch the last little while and was the one available.

It's been a while people have wanted Habs to acquire someone like Ghost (I know it hasn't been unanimous, but many would have been happy to bring him in). Habs brought someone who plays a similar game, but costs much less in salary/cap and in terms of price paid to acquire.

Of course Therrien isn't going to trash him; he saves that for Subban and Eller...and as bad as Ghost can be, he's also better than Gustafsson at moving the puck, which is a significant need for us...I hope the kid does well, I'd love to have a scoring Dman again who's name isn't Petry...I just don't think Bargain Bin at all addressed what we needed here and our lack of a transition game isn't going to help this kid get to the offensive zone for his cookies...hope I'm wrong and I'd love to eat alot of crow here...

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Of course Therrien wouldn' say Gus sucks. You just can't say those kind of things. The fact of the matter is, Gus is horrible defensively. I hope he won'tplay much and certainly hope they don't pair him with Weber.
Yet many wanted Gostisbehere despite his defensive deficiencies

Reactions: LaP and Trash Man

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Yet many wanted Gostisbehere despite his defensive deficiencies

...for his attributes; one being that he is at least somewhat efficient and effective at moving the puck...everything I've seen from Gustafsson shows he is not; the transition game is not his strength...actually, having the puck on his stick outside the offensive zone doesn't seem to be a strength of his...that's what worries me here...

Reactions: Benstheman

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
...for his attributes; one being that he is at least somewhat efficient and effective at moving the puck...everything I've seen from Gustafsson shows he is not; the transition game is not his strength...actually, having the puck on his stick outside the offensive zone doesn't seem to be a strength of his...that's what worries me here...

Sound like he should be entertaining to watch playing....

Hopefully he is on the ice at the same time as all our slow players who can't get out of their own zone for maxed hilarity. :sarcasm:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Sound like he should be entertaining to watch playing....

Hopefully he is on the ice at the same time as all our slow players who can't get out of their own zone for maxed hilarity. :sarcasm:

He and Weber would definitely be a Keystone Cops routine...if he ever got out there with Chairot, they might break the +/- stat...

Armia - Staal - Perry
Gustafsson - Weber

They'd run it on Comedy Central...

Reactions: morhilane

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Weber is long past carrying anyone defensively.
He could still carry some defensively i would think, with better icetime management i still think he's a solid defensive d, he's just getting old like everyone else and the habs need to realise past his prime, i mean we all get there at some point, he won't be able to keep playing 25+ dominant minutes, lessen the workload a bit and he should be ok

Locks

May 28, 2005
I don't know if it was posted but here is a take from a long time reporter covering the Flyers.
As with other opinions that came from Philadelphia, he believes that Gus has never got a real chance because of the presence of Ghost who is a very similar player but knows the Flyers system very well.
He says that Gus has multiple offensive skills and it is up to the Habs to make use of them.
He invokes an idea of partnering him with Weber but then adds that it would be best to play him against the third and fourth lines and on the PP.
He is very high on his ability to QB the PP and that he can find his teammates with accurate passes all over the zone.
The reporter believes that Gus can be again a 45-50 point producer if utilized properly.
-------------

As I said earlier, this is a no risk move, not even a low risk move. If he does not fit, he will sit, as the Habs now have more than enough NHL Dmen.

«Gustafsson peut assurément inscrire 50 points de nouveau» - TVA Sports

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know if it was posted but here is a take from a long time reporter covering the Flyers.
As with other opinions that came from Philadelphia, he believes that Gus has never got a real chance because of the presence of Ghost who is a very similar player but knows the Flyers system very well.
He says that Gus has multiple offensive skills and it is up to the Habs to make use of them.
He invokes an idea of partnering him with Weber but then adds that it would be best to play him against the third and fourth lines and on the PP.
He is very high on his ability to QB the PP and that he can find his teammates with accurate passes all over the zone.
The reporter believes that Gus can be again a 45-50 point producer if utilized properly.
-------------

As I said earlier, this is a no risk move, not even a low risk move. If he does not fit, he will sit, as the Habs now have more than enough NHL Dmen.

«Gustafsson peut assurément inscrire 50 points de nouveau» - TVA Sports

No one's questioning his pp abilities.

It's whether he won't hurt the team too much just playing 10 minutes a night in his own end that is at issue.

We need to decrease Weber and Chiarot's minutes, not increase them.

I'd like to see what he do on the 4th line 5 on 5 and on D on the pp

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
will be fascinating to see which game they insert him into the lineup...

Oilers and Flames next week... Not the kind of dman you want on the ice with the oilers having last change, and that calgary 3-game series is going to be an absolute war (unless we waive the white flag), is a defensive liability like this guy, who will be adjusting to a new team/system/teammates, the kind of dman you want to throw out to the wolves like that?

will be very interesting...

Locks

May 28, 2005
No one's questioning his pp abilities.

It's whether he won't hurt the team too much just playing 10 minutes a night in his own end that is at issue.

We need to decrease Weber and Chiarot's minutes, not increase them.

I'd like to see what he do on the 4th line 5 on 5 and on D on the pp

It is not just his PP abilities the reporter is taking about, it is also his puck moving and as was pointed out above, he produced a major part of his points 5-on-5.

I absolutely get your point, his subpar defence is a known fact so partnering him with a solid defensive guy like Merrill could do the trick. I highly doubt they play him on the fourth line, the time of Mark Streit is way in the past. Dressing seven Ds is probably more likely if they sense he can't be a regular 5-on-5

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It is not just his PP abilities the reporter is taking about, it is also his puck moving and as was pointed out above, he produced a major part of his points 5-on-5.

I absolutely get your point, his subpar defence is a known fact so partnering him with a solid defensive guy like Merrill could do the trick. I highly doubt they play him on the fourth line, the time of Mark Streit is way in the past. Dressing seven Ds is probably more likely if they sense he can't be a regular 5-on-5

He produced the major part of his 5 on 5 points in Choacago playing with Kane et al. This ain't Chicago.

As you say, if he's a defensive liability 5 on 5 it doesn't matter if he can move the puck or produce points. He has to be able to prevent goals or he can't be on the ice 5 on 5 as a dman. All signs point to this being the case. But, we'll see if unlike Frolik he ever gets a real shot

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

I think this reporter has a rosier than should be take on Gustafsson's puck-moving abilities, from what I've seen of him the last couple of years...to me he seems to be a lot more of a rover than a puck-mover and there is a big difference...I hope I'm wrong and I'll eat all the crow I get if he shows any ability to help our transition game, I just haven't seen it from watching him play...and I also have huge concerns about who's left out of the lineup to get him in...I don't think Ducharme will sit who should sit, he's already shown that he'll play useless vets over the kids that deserve to be on the ice...

Reactions: Runner77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I have never seen this player play but was only able to fetch a 7th rounder for Philly says alot

Reactions: LaP

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

??????? what

Reactions: LaP

Locks

May 28, 2005
I think this reporter has a rosier than should be take on Gustafsson's puck-moving abilities, from what I've seen of him the last couple of years...to me he seems to be a lot more of a rover than a puck-mover and there is a big difference...I hope I'm wrong and I'll eat all the crow I get if he shows any ability to help our transition game, I just haven't seen it from watching him play...and I also have huge concerns about who's left out of the lineup to get him in...I don't think Ducharme will sit who should sit, he's already shown that he'll play useless vets over the kids that deserve to be on the ice...

I can't honestly argue on this since I barely saw him play, I just have to rely on reports like this until I get a good look at him. Let's wait and see, by all accounts it won't be long.

Yes, I am concerned about sitting young guys too, I understand you refer to Staal vs Evans and I totally agree. Here the situation is different as Romanov has been very solid lately and, per MB, he is a pillar of the defence of the future so I hope DD will manage it properly.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Crazy, 60 pts.....and then what happens? Why does a guy drop off so badly?? Chicago trades him to Philly, and now to the Habs............strange guys.

There’s a sports axiom that says that once you display a skill, you own it.

Gustafsson has that offensive capability — it couldn’t have been a one-off. Question is to find out how to untap it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad