Confirmed with Link: Erik Gustafsson signs with Hawks

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Bowman article from Chris Kuc and Kuc drops this bomb

What?! That is kind of a big statement that you can extrapolate off of. Basically closes the book on Oduya, for example.

Link:http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...lackhawks-future-spt-0510-20150509-story.html

Where does it say Gustafsson is certain to make the Hawks next season?
Isn't that just Kuc's pure speculation? All Bowman said about him is "he's going to be in the mix".

I wouldn't be shocked if he makes the team out of training camp but it's very unlikely.
Being a lefty helps his case, but you'd have to think he's behind TvR/Johns/Pokka in the org depth chart.
They will probably sign a depth D or two as well.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
There is no way the Hawks are going to go with 3 rookies on defense(never happened and never will). I know everyone has great imagination as how perfectly they are going to perform but the truth of the matter is rookies need to adapt. Oduya will get resigned and the last two spots will be open for rookies, and that is only because TVR has shown that he can play good defense at an NHL level, so basically there is only one spot open for rookies. Pokka, Gustafsson and Johns can fight for it. I wouldnt be surprised if Stan signs another Veteran D-man. Sorry to disappoint you all but if history has taught us something its is exactly what I am saying here.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Oduya is eligible to receive another big contract as a UFA and the Hawks are not in a position to give him another big contract.

Everyone assumes Oduya will take a hometown discount to keep hanging out with his Swedish buds, but he doesn't have that many years left to make big money and he's already got his name on the Cup. He may just spread his wings and see what's out there. Also, the Hawks may not want to commit to money and term on him because they need money this summer to try to resign Seabrook if that is something they may try to do? Just a thought.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
There is no way the Hawks are going to go with 3 rookies on defense(never happened and never will). I know everyone has great imagination as how perfectly they are going to perform but the truth of the matter is rookies need to adapt. Oduya will get resigned and the last two spots will be open for rookies, and that is only because TVR has shown that he can play good defense at an NHL level, so basically there is only one spot open for rookies. Pokka, Gustafsson and Johns can fight for it. I wouldnt be surprised if Stan signs another Veteran D-man. Sorry to disappoint you all but if history has taught us something its is exactly what I am saying here.

I would not prefer for the Hawks to roll 3 rookies. I just don't think the math works otherwise and I don't want the Hawks to pay Oduya in the cap hit and amount he can command on the UFA market. Maybe they bring in a cheap UFA vet desperate for a cup but I don't think they can afford to bring back Oduya.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
IF we get Reilly I don't think we will have room for TVR because Johns, Paliotta, Reilly, Pokka, and Gustafsson all should rank above him. TVR is good but he is injury prone and might just be to slow going forward. It is crazy how much talent we have coming up.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
TvR made the team when we still had Rozy, Oduya, Rundblad on the team.
With all those guys gone, he's going to make the team provided he's fully healthy.

Yeah he got injured a few times but I would call those freak injuries if anything.
His ceiling may not be as high as some other guys but Q clearly likes him
and his play with the Hawks suggest he belongs on the NHL ice.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
IF we get Reilly I don't think we will have room for TVR because Johns, Paliotta, Reilly, Pokka, and Gustafsson all should rank above him. TVR is good but he is injury prone and might just be to slow going forward. It is crazy how much talent we have coming up.

LOL is this a joke? The guy is a stud. How do you rank those guys above him if you have not seen them play in the NHL? Also how many rookies do you seriously imagine Q plugging in the D next year? From reading these boards you would think people are plugging in 5 forwards and 3 D men. There is no way in hill billy town that we will see more than 2 rookies or 3 if you include Panarin in the entire squad. It is just not happening.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
LOL is this a joke? The guy is a stud. How do you rank those guys above him if you have not seen them play in the NHL?

There is this amazing concept called potential. Every guy I mentioned has higher potential than TVR. I was not bashing TVR.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
TVR was a solid player in sheltered minutes this year but he was not some superstar that people were making him out to be.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
TVR wasn't sheltered nearly as much as you'd think actually.

Yeah, he only had +8% OZSRel% and was seeing CorC of 49.77.

So he was basically dead middle of the pack on the team, not sheltered, but also not getting the really hard minutes.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
TVR wasn't sheltered nearly as much as you'd think actually.

And he was not as good as people make him out to be. He was a solid player but has a limited action. I think at this point his speed is a legitimate concern. He is clearly a solid player but I just don't think his upside is that high.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
TvR doesn't need to have big upside. This team is going to need two bottom pairing defenseman next year. If TvR is back to form then I'd absolutely be looking at him for one of those slots.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
TVR was great this year in the NHL and now we are ranking guys who have never played in the AHL ahead of him? OK.

He wasn't great. He was solid. Not great not bad. He is a bottom pair guy but Pokka and Johns are better so there is a decent chance he will be our 6/7 if Gust. turns out. I also think Paliotta passes him on the depth chart next year. It is not a knock on TVR but we are deep with D prospects.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He wasn't great. He was solid. Not great not bad. He is a bottom pair guy but Pokka and Johns are better so there is a decent chance he will be our 6/7 if Gust. turns out. I also think Paliotta passes him on the depth chart next year. It is not a knock on TVR but we are deep with D prospects.

He did everything great, except score points. He was great at defending. Great as a #5/6 Dmen. Just before he got injured, many were gushing about his play. My point still stands, putting players who aren't highly thought of who haven't even played a single AHL game above TVR is ridiculous.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
How much more is Oduya really going to make. I don't think he should take a pay cut to stay with the Hawks, but he's a middle of the road 3-4 D man with his best years behind him, IMO. Most teams will be challenged to come up with a salad to put his head on a swivel. Calgary might make sense.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
How much more is Oduya really going to make. I don't think he should take a pay cut to stay with the Hawks, but he's a middle of the road 3-4 D man with his best years behind him, IMO. Most teams will be challenged to come up with a salad to put his head on a swivel. Calgary might make sense.

Any UFA defenseman that's capable of playing #4 minutes and upward is going to receive an offer that's at least a million or two more than they should be receiving for a year or two more than they should be receiving.

Top four defenseman and talented forward's with size get paid through the nose.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Oduya can eat some minutes, but this was his second consecutive year below replacement level. Hawks can't afford that risk.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Oduya can eat some minutes, but this was his second consecutive year below replacement level. Hawks can't afford that risk.

I agree. Plus this is his last chance at a big payday. Thank you JO for you time but it is time to part ways.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013

Below replacement level? No chance. There's absolutely no chance there's 180 defensemen that could have had the season he had. Since he came back from injury he's been really good and solid in the playoffs. Not saying they have to sign him, but below replacement is Rosi on his worst day, not anything resembling Oduya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad