Rumor: Erik Gustafsson planning to test the market, not discussing extension with the Flames

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Under $4m and I am sold pretty easily.

Above $4m and I think there are regrets.

Depends on term of course.

So at $3,999,999 per year, you're very happy and at $4,000,001 per year, you think there'll be regrets?

Just confirming.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
It checks out.
Essentially a #6D that can QB and PP really well.

I was chatting with my buddy, who may or may not have ties to the Flames org, and he was saying that he's essentially Calgary's analytics team darling and nightmare at the same time.

Analytically, with him leading the PP over the final stretch of the year, then the playoffs, he was single handedly one of the best contributors in creating PP chances. That being said, in 5v5 he's one of the worst players who ever touches the ice in terms of most metrics they track.

Just not someone you can pony up 4+ million to keep.

I've long been an advocate of adding one roster spot per team so teams can dress an extra player each game. He'd be the perfect player to be that extra man for sure.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's so awkward when you're basically trying to figure out what a defenceman is worth...based on the winger comparable would be.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Great powerplay guy but has to be used as a #6 even strength.

Wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back but it would have to come cheap.

Depending on expectations you are either going to love his next contract or hate it.

I think he does suit a team already deep on the blue line better though ( needs to be sheltered).

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Kind of a strange player. Can play both sides, skates and moves the puck well, good at getting his shot through and walking the blue line, just kinda brain dead in his own zone.

If a team is able to use him right I think he could provide really good value. If you need him to be an every day top 4 defenseman he's not going to look good.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Definitely PP1

Unless you're stacked.
He's good on PP but really not mind-blowing. He doesn't have the IQ to set up plays at a top level. He's great at getting his shot to the net though.

A PP2 unit that has some big bodies at the net would actually be a great for for him. There are many teams that have 2 more legit PP options. Many teams are only going with 1 dman on their PP#1 unit.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Exactly who he reminds me of lmao

Both had good stats that weren’t sustained but the comparison ends there.

Ghost was worn out playing out of position and getting hammered going into the corner with his back against the ice on a regular basis. He has a lot of raw skill and ability, but the NHL is about doing it on a night by night basis.

Gustafsson is solid across the board, a little undersized. Good attitude. Less top end ability than SG, but also more consistent.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Would take him back if he got paid as #5 that can play on the PP. Glad the Flames don't want to give him big money.
Like a Canucks #5 who makes $6 million a year for 4 more season???? ;)

:cry:

Reactions: Bond

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
He's good on PP but really not mind-blowing. He doesn't have the IQ to set up plays at a top level. He's great at getting his shot to the net though.

A PP2 unit that has some big bodies at the net would actually be a great for for him. There are many teams that have 2 more legit PP options. Many teams are only going with 1 dman on their PP#1 unit.

You’re right- Gustafsson does a good job of getting his shot through which is by-far his best skill on the PP. He’s not much of a playmaker or very good at entering the zone. And you have to hope a 2 on 1 doesn’t come back the other way because Gus doesn’t do much more than lay down on the ice in an attempt to break up the play. He’s decent on the 2nd PP but if you are looking at those 2nd half Chicago stats from a couple years ago and expecting comparable from Gustafsson, you’ll be disappointed.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I heard that their owner isn’t super wealthy and lost a tonne of ticket sales heading into next year so there’s been reports they are going to let all their UFA walk and not do to much to replace them?

If Calgary loses all of Gustafsson, Hamonic, Brodie, and Gio keeps declining they will arguably have one of the worst D in the league. This is from someone who doesn’t like Andersson though, and I don’t think Valimaki is a top 4 D headed into next year.

That team rebuilt because they were mediocre, to just fill spots with Mediocre players. Monohan is a essentially returned to what people thought of him pre draft, which was that he could be a really good second line C on a good team. Bennett busted outside of the playoffs. Gaudreau disappears when the games get tough.

If they don’t add this offseason they are headed right back into a rebuild

Where did you have that from? The Flames have 5 owners, Murray Edwards being the wealthiest. The owner ship just put forward half of the arena cost money and are going to be given land around the new arena(which they will buy.)

Not signing what we don't need is actually good because it gives the young players a chance.

I will wait until after Friday to see where the team is going.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
As a Calgary fan I let him walk. We have a lot of young dmen with offensive upside that actually play d too. At 1/4 of the cost.

I dont mind the player but 3 plus million for a 5th or 6th dman is way to much.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
As a Calgary fan I let him walk. We have a lot of young dmen with offensive upside that actually play d too. At 1/4 of the cost.

I dont mind the player but 3 plus million for a 5th or 6th dman is way to much.
Exactly.

I don't see why his role can't be filled by Kylington eventually.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Gostisbehere lite.

If Philadelphia trades Ghost then they could turn around and sign Gustafsson to a less expensive contract.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I could see him being a decent fit/bandaid in Edmonton.

They're likely one of the few teams that can outright promise him decent PP time, especially if Klefbom is out.

Though with Jones and Lagesson both graduating, plus Bouchard not being far off, I could see the Oil just sticking with in-house options.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Shayne Gostibehere 2.0?

Shayne has pretty good underlying metrics and was dealing w/ injuries. Not to mention Shayne had more than one season of effectiveness...

In the right system Shayne is a 2nd pair and 1st PP. He puts up with 40ish points w/ ~50-52% CF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad