Rumor: Erik Gustafsson planning to test the market, not discussing extension with the Flames

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Under $4m and I am sold pretty easily.

Above $4m and I think there are regrets.

Depends on term of course.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Does Calgary want him back? Any word on if they had a number in mind?

Pretty risky with a stagnant cap and financial woes currently...but if Calgary is lowballing, then whatever.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Does Calgary want him back? Any word on if they had a number in mind?

Pretty risky with a stagnant cap and financial woes currently...but if Calgary is lowballing, then whatever.

not really, Valimaki is coming back and they are really high on Connor Mackey from the NCAA. Plus there is Oliver Kylington and they likely sign Brodie or maybe a Tyson Barrie.

I’m glad we are moving on from Gus.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I heard that their owner isn’t super wealthy and lost a tonne of ticket sales heading into next year so there’s been reports they are going to let all their UFA walk and not do to much to replace them?

If Calgary loses all of Gustafsson, Hamonic, Brodie, and Gio keeps declining they will arguably have one of the worst D in the league. This is from someone who doesn’t like Andersson though, and I don’t think Valimaki is a top 4 D headed into next year.

That team rebuilt because they were mediocre, to just fill spots with Mediocre players. Monohan is a essentially returned to what people thought of him pre draft, which was that he could be a really good second line C on a good team. Bennett busted outside of the playoffs. Gaudreau disappears when the games get tough.

If they don’t add this offseason they are headed right back into a rebuild

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
My brother is a die hard flames fan and he said that their owner isn’t super wealthy and lost a tonne of ticket sales heading into next year so there’s been reports they are going to let all their UFA walk and not do to much to replace them.

If Calgary loses all of Gustafsson, Hamonic, Brodie, and Gio keeps declining they will arguably have one of the worst D in the league. This is from someone who doesn’t like Andersson though, and I don’t think Valimaki is a top 4 D headed into next year.

That team rebuilt because they were mediocre, to just fill spots with Mediocre players. Monohan is a essentially returned to what people thought of him pre draft, which was that he could be a really good second line C on a good team. Bennett busted outside of the playoffs. Gaudreau disappears when the games get tough.

Flames D will be better without Gus

He is trainwreck defensively

Reactions: viper0220

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
My brother is a die hard flames fan and he said that their owner isn’t super wealthy and lost a tonne of ticket sales heading into next year so there’s been reports they are going to let all their UFA walk and not do to much to replace them.

Your brother doesn’t like Ras? Did I read that right?

Reactions: TychoFan

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Not shocking. No way the Flames are going to offer much for a third pairing guy this early in a flat cap world.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Good luck whoever gets him. That breakout season with the Hawks was a mirage. He is a 3rd pairing, #2PPQB. Pay him more than that and you will regret it.

I kind of figured it was a one hit wonder situation the moment I seen his stats. I know the names of most NHL players, but I had never even heard of him before his 60 pt season.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

That's conflicting, especially when Elliotte Friedman reported that they were checking out Oliver Ekman-Larsson. If the Flames do decide to rebuild though, this is the perfect time to rebuild the team. The cap is going to remain flat for the next three years, they can stockpile talent and picks, they can develop players properly, they won't have to worry about fans showing up and once the NHL comes out of this pandemic, they'll be in a position to compete and have a great team coming out of this.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Good luck whoever gets him. That breakout season with the Hawks was a mirage. He is a 3rd pairing, #2 PPQB. Pay him more than that and you will regret it.

ugh, watch the Jets pick him up to “bolster” the back end. I can feel it coming already

Bond

May 10, 2012
Would take him back if he got paid as #5 that can play on the PP. Glad the Flames don't want to give him big money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->