Rumor: Erik Gustafsson planning to test the market, not discussing extension with the Flames

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I heard that their owner isn’t super wealthy and lost a tonne of ticket sales heading into next year so there’s been reports they are going to let all their UFA walk and not do to much to replace them?

If Calgary loses all of Gustafsson, Hamonic, Brodie, and Gio keeps declining they will arguably have one of the worst D in the league. This is from someone who doesn’t like Andersson though, and I don’t think Valimaki is a top 4 D headed into next year.

That team rebuilt because they were mediocre, to just fill spots with Mediocre players. Monohan is a essentially returned to what people thought of him pre draft, which was that he could be a really good second line C on a good team. Bennett busted outside of the playoffs. Gaudreau disappears when the games get tough.

If they don’t add this offseason they are headed right back into a rebuild

Murray Edwards is worth $1.5 billion. You think any owner wants to lose money? No team will be profitable this coming season.

Reactions: Devonator

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
If Calgary loses all of Gustafsson, Hamonic, Brodie, and Gio keeps declining they will arguably have one of the worst D in the league. This is from someone who doesn’t like Andersson though, and I don’t think Valimaki is a top 4 D headed into next year.

I don't think I agree.

Valimaki looked like a surefire top 4 D to me, and Andersson is a top 4 D. They also have some guys in the wings, like Ty Smith. Losing Gustafsson and Hamonic is really no big loss, those guys have bigger name values than on ice values.

Doesn't seem like a big step back to me, to be honest. They will have Hanifin, Gio, Valimaki and Andersson, and possibly TJ back.

Reactions: Boomstick

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I don't think I agree.

Valimaki looked like a surefire top 4 D to me, and Andersson is a top 4 D. They also have some guys in the wings, like Ty Smith. Losing Gustafsson and Hamonic is really no big loss, those guys have bigger name values than on ice values.

Doesn't seem like a big step back to me, to be honest. They will have Hanifin, Gio, Valimaki and Andersson, and possibly TJ back.

I also like the fact that if indeed we lose TJ, the younger kids (including Hanifin) will have to accelerate their growth. I’m all game for seeing who steps up and can get it done.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't think I agree.

Not sure if you're thinking of someone else, but Ty Smith was picked by New Jersey

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He's great at what he does on the PP, but not sure I'm willing to break the bank. 3x3 probably wouldn't be out of the ballpark for a team in need of a PPQB in a normal year, but this off season? I presume to know nothing.

Reactions: ownal

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Guy is decent on the powerplay. He has good instincts and a solid shot, but no boots. I think he’ll ultimately be a third pairing PP quarterback. Not sure exactly what that’s worth on the market, but it’s probably less than what he thinks he’ll get.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He sucks. Despite what the points say, he really didn't do much on the PP that is irreplaceable

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He does make some interesting and creative plays on the PP, but all other usage, I was actually kinda scared to see his play on the ice. I hear he wants 4+, I'd be concerned giving him even a 3x3 (a death knell contract for Flames dmen).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Depends on the asking price here. Sharks could use an offensive weapon on the left point but they'd need to move Vlasic to even be an option. And that's a long shot to be sure. I think anything more than four years at 3.5 mil per is going to be a problem for Gus.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I heard that their owner isn’t super wealthy and lost a tonne of ticket sales heading into next year so there’s been reports they are going to let all their UFA walk and not do to much to replace them?

That team rebuilt because they were mediocre, to just fill spots with Mediocre players. Monohan is a essentially returned to what people thought of him pre draft, which was that he could be a really good second line C on a good team. Bennett busted outside of the playoffs. Gaudreau disappears when the games get tough.

says the guy who cheers for the team that lost to Chicago

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Here’s a guy that a team can get as a UFA that has similar career numbers to Dumba. Is he getting Dumba dollars? No. He’s a lot less than 6 million on the cap. But he’s a good option for a team that wants a puck moving D man, who can put up points.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
He'd be an idiot not to test the market when he's earned "relatively little" in his career to date.

He's a very solid contributor to a power play. That alone will land him somewhere.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
If this guy can learn to play defense, he'd be a hell of a player.

Makes me wonder what his career would have looked like I'd he'd have played wing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It checks out.
Essentially a #6D that can QB and PP really well.

I was chatting with my buddy, who may or may not have ties to the Flames org, and he was saying that he's essentially Calgary's analytics team darling and nightmare at the same time.

Analytically, with him leading the PP over the final stretch of the year, then the playoffs, he was single handedly one of the best contributors in creating PP chances. That being said, in 5v5 he's one of the worst players who ever touches the ice in terms of most metrics they track.

Just not someone you can pony up 4+ million to keep.

Bond

May 10, 2012
It checks out.
Essentially a #6D that can QB and PP really well.

I was chatting with my buddy, who may or may not have ties to the Flames org, and he was saying that he's essentially Calgary's analytics team darling and nightmare at the same time.

Analytically, with him leading the PP over the final stretch of the year, then the playoffs, he was single handedly one of the best contributors in creating PP chances. That being said, in 5v5 he's one of the worst players who ever touches the ice in terms of most metrics they track.

Just not someone you can pony up 4+ million to keep.
That totally makes sense from watching him. Would bring him back for a 5/6 D salary but he'll get more.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He was pretty good on the PP. Found ways to get his shot through and was always moving and walking the blue line. Skates and moves the puck effectively.

Definitely an adventure in his zone though. I would have been open to a 2 year deal around 2.5-3 million mostly because he can play both sides but if he wants more than that good luck to whoever signs him. If your defense is good enough to shelter him appropriately I think he could provide some decent value.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

2 out of the 6 Flames owners are billionaires, and 3 of them are in the top 100 richest Canadians. So I don’t know about not being wealthy. That being said everyone will be tightening their belts the next couple years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad