Confirmed with Link: Erik Gudbranson has been traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Where's the source on that? If you re-read the post you quoted above, the @rocketchu wrote "I always read the 2nd and 4th as a pure hypothetical from imac" - that's his interpretation on it, not necessarily what is actually true.
It's true, it's right in IMac's original article, and it was the first google result:

"But if the choice – the main choice because this is a many-tentacled issue – was between re-signing Gudbranson, 26, or trading him for, say, second- and fourth-round draft picks, then the Canucks made the right call."

To anyone without an emotional stake in this, it's obvious in context the two picks were hypothetical. There's no way he would have constructed the sentence that way otherwise. Botchford, despite presumably having understood this, then repeated it as a "rumour" and began to block anyone on Twitter who tried to point out it came from MacIntyre's speculation, and disputed claims there was no source:

Last edited:

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
You guys miss him now? Kreider wouldn't have done that if he was in the lineup.
You guys miss him now? Kreider wouldn't have done that if he was in the lineup.

Gudbranson was the softest tough guy in the league. He never fought, he never stood up for guys. He talked about it, and never did S***. The line that he provided any type of grit comes from people who never watched a second of him on the ice. He may have skated after guys who took liberties on our players, but was too slow to catch them.

Reactions: Pavel96

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's true, it's right in IMac's original article, and it was the first google result:

"But if the choice – the main choice because this is a many-tentacled issue – was between re-signing Gudbranson, 26, or trading him for, say, second- and fourth-round draft picks, then the Canucks made the right call."

To anyone without an emotional stake in this, it's obvious in context the two picks were hypothetical. There's no way he would have constructed the sentence that way otherwise. Botchford, despite presumably having understood this, then repeated it as a "rumour" and began to block anyone on Twitter who tried to point out it came from MacIntyre's speculation, and disputed claims there was no source:

That’s an oddly specific proposal for a ‘hypothetical’, especially coming from someone as joined at the hip to management as McIntyre.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
That’s an oddly specific proposal for a ‘hypothetical’, especially coming from someone as joined at the hip to management as McIntyre.
You people are like the T-800 terminator, still crawling desperately toward John Connor after being crushed by a hyrdaulic press. No, it's not "oddly" specific. It's pretty much as specific as a succinctly expressed hypothetical trade scenario with a ballpark value that fits with the narrative would need to be. This rumour very obviously came from nothing. You can accept that and still hold any other belief you want -- you just might have to work slightly harder or be slightly more flexible to hold it.

Reactions: Zippgunn and Nomobo

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You people are like the T-800 terminator, still crawling desperately toward John Connor after being crushed by a hyrdaulic press. No, it's not "oddly" specific. It's pretty much as specific as a succinctly expressed hypothetical trade scenario with a ballpark value that fits with the narrative would need to be. This rumour very obviously came from nothing. You can accept that and still hold any other belief you want -- you just might have to work slightly harder or be slightly more flexible to hold it.

Gudbranson is crap, I doubt Jim could have gotten a 4th for him let alone a 2nd+4th. What a brutal trade for a player everybody with a brain knew would fail.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

It doesn't even matter if the rumor is true or not. If Benning couldn't even get a 2nd round pick for what he thought was a $4M defenseman, the decision to extend him is even stupider.

Reactions: m9, MS and timw33

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As the song lyrics from 'The Gambler" go, "You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to throw em." And that's my big complaint with Benning.

Every GM in the league has botched a trade or two. Brian Burke admits he could fill a small volume with the ones that went wrong.

But it just seems to me that Jimbo and Canucks consistently 'double down' on the original mistake, by re-signing guys like Gudbranson, Sutter, Sibisa and Dorsett to ridiculous contract extensions. It's as if they somehow believe that if they re-sign these guys to new contracts with term, by some miracle they'll become better players.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
It doesn't even matter if the rumor is true or not. If Benning couldn't even get a 2nd round pick for what he thought was a $4M defenseman, the decision to extend him is even stupider.
Again -- it very clearly wasn't a rumour at all, true or otherwise. I'm not taking issue with Gudbranson's valuation or defending Benning. I'm trying to get at the doublethink on this board where otherwise apparently intelligent posters like MS deliberately believe or at least desire to believe things they know aren't true because it supports a general view they hold.

Reactions: Zippgunn

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Gudbranson is crap, I doubt Jim could have gotten a 4th for him let alone a 2nd+4th. What a brutal trade for a player everybody with a brain knew would fail.
This has nothing to do with the point being discussed, but you're probably right.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
JR8tOyq.png

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Again -- it very clearly wasn't a rumour at all, true or otherwise. I'm not taking issue with Gudbranson's valuation or defending Benning. I'm trying to get at the doublethink on this board where otherwise apparently intelligent posters like MS deliberately believe or at least desire to believe things they know aren't true because it supports a general view they hold.

I've listened to the interviews with botchford on patcast, it doesn't seem like a hypothetical. He very clearly says other teams wanted to give a 2nd+. I believe miles wood was the other rumour.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Is this just a streak hes on? I dont get it, we all saw an awful awful awful dman here and now he seems to be doing good in Pittsburgh. Was his crappiness part of our poorly put together team and coaching? Or is this just a crappy player put in a Better setting and taking advtg of it but may be temporary? Kinda not getting this, but at the same time glad hes off the team as he was really THAT bad

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I've listened to the interviews with botchford on patcast, it doesn't seem like a hypothetical. He very clearly says other teams wanted to give a 2nd+. I believe miles wood was the other rumour.
I'll explain this again. There may very well be other "rumours" mentioned by or originating from Botchford. I'm not talking about any of them. I'm talking about this:

Ian MacIntyre speculated about a hypothetical return for Gudbranson, and made it clear he was speculating. Botchford reported that speculation as a rumour. When people realized after repeating the rumour that it was in fact speculation and clearly presented as speculation by its source, people tried to figure out some way of believing that it was actually a credible rumour instead of admitting to themselves that it wasn't. This is bizarre and unproductive behaviour.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
You must really put a lot of work into being wrong so often. Perhaps you'd care to explain how his presence didn't stop Pettersson from getting a dirty hit from Matheson.
Obviously its cause you haven't used advanced analytics to dissect the gudbranson effect!

Without gudbranson:
Petterson is 1/7 on cheapshots

With gudbranson:
Petterson is 1/52 on cheapshots

It's clear gudbranson lowers the rate of cheapshots on superstars. Crosby has never felt safer.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I'll explain this again. There may very well be other "rumours" mentioned by or originating from Botchford. I'm not talking about any of them. I'm talking about this:

Ian MacIntyre speculated about a hypothetical return for Gudbranson, and made it clear he was speculating. Botchford reported that speculation as a rumour. When people realized after repeating the rumour that it was in fact speculation and clearly presented as speculation by its source, people tried to figure out some way of believing that it was actually a credible rumour instead of admitting to themselves that it wasn't. This is bizarre and unproductive behaviour.
I'll have to agree then. There's too much in terms of timing and specificity to say it didnt come from I mac speculation. Factoring in the question mark of botchford tweet I feel hes didn't get this from a source within the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad