Confirmed with Link: Erik Gudbranson has been traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
Is this just a streak hes on? I dont get it, we all saw an awful awful awful dman here and now he seems to be doing good in Pittsburgh. Was his crappiness part of our poorly put together team and coaching? Or is this just a crappy player put in a Better setting and taking advtg of it but may be temporary? Kinda not getting this, but at the same time glad hes off the team as he was really THAT bad

It's a couple things: his puck luck in Pittsburgh is abnormally high, and the Penguins are deep in two-way forwards.

His PDO may not normalize within this season, but it should over time.

The Penguins are deep in two-way play from their forwards. It's enviable. Most forwards on that team can drop down and cover for Gudbransson, and cover for his inability to retrieve pucks. All he has to do is stop the puck, and then a forward can retrieve the puck for him.

Whereas the Canucks have little to no depth. There's a handful of players who can do two-way play, but for the most part, it's forwards who can either play offence or defence. Tweeners and one-trick ponies.

Reactions: TruKnyte and Peen

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Acquiring Gudbranson cost them McCann, a high second rounder (33rd overall) and a fourth.....and they turned it into Tanner Pearson....and Sutter cost them Bonino, the immortal Adam Clendening and a second rounder, with a conditional third rounder coming back to the Canucks (Brisebois).

Heading into the off-season, Gudbranson is gone and Sutter is likely to soon follow him. I'm laughing, but crying inside.

Reactions: B-rock

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Acquiring Gudbranson cost them McCann, a high second rounder (33rd overall) and a fourth.....and they turned it into Tanner Pearson....and Sutter cost them Bonino, the immortal Adam Clendening and a second rounder, with a conditional third rounder coming back to the Canucks (Brisebois).

Heading into the off-season, Gudbranson is gone and Sutter is likely to soon follow him. I'm laughing, but crying inside.

business as usual

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not particularly. A contending team can shelter a bad player. People seem to easily forget that he was consistently the worst player on the ice for the Canucks. I can't believe this thread is still on the first page.
Replacement player here, but not sitting in the press box on a contender..weird?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The hard reality is that most of the Canuck blueliners would look a lot better playing on other NHL teams.....the Canucks are just that bad throughout the lineup. And even 'average' d-men get continually exposed.

Makes you realize how impressive the seasons for Hutton and Stecher have been....but they'd still play a lot better somewhere else.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
The hard reality is that most of the Canuck blueliners would look a lot better playing on other NHL teams.....the Canucks are just that bad throughout the lineup. And even 'average' d-men get continually exposed.

Makes you realize how impressive the seasons for Hutton and Stecher have been....but they'd still play a lot better somewhere else.

And I wonder whose fault that is....

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ryan Miller was a better enforcer than Gudbranson

Off topic - but for all the “leaders and characters” the Canucks have tried bringing into the room, IMO, Miller was the best. Standing up for Stecher, spending some one on one time with Goldobin during his stint in the doghouse, etc...he was a good guy in the room and off the ice.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Damn....I really thought that when Jimbo went out and acquired Sbisa, Gudbranson, Clendenning and Pouliot that the turnaround on the blueline would be complete....and it was 'complete' as in a 'complete bust".

And if you thought Gudbranson looked bad in a Canuck uni, wait until you see Tyler Myers.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
"Only" see him as a -1 on the boxscore, unless there was a second one on the PP.

It is wrong, he was on the ice for the 2 goal (screening his goalie), the 4th one sliding on all 4 just before it was scored and the PP goal that made it 5-1. He was listed -2 earlier not sure why they changed that to -1.

Reactions: TruKnyte

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Damn....I really thought that when Jimbo went out and acquired Sbisa, Gudbranson, Clendenning and Pouliot that the turnaround on the blueline would be complete....and it was 'complete' as in a 'complete bust".

And if you thought Gudbranson looked bad in a Canuck uni, wait until you see Tyler Myers.
Im already dreading the Tyler Myers signing

Reactions: Jyrki21

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Where is the Larsen love?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
It is wrong, he was on the ice for the 2 goal (screening his goalie), the 4th one sliding on all 4 just before it was scored and the PP goal that made it 5-1. He was listed -2 earlier not sure why they changed that to -1.
Took a peak in the Pens forum. Didn’t see much mentions of his actual name. But the usual “defensive turnovers” was constantly used. So I could only assume, probably rightly so, that it was Guddy’s doing.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He must have been on the ice for the Pittsburgh goal.
If he was he must have just stepping on or skated back to his blue line because he was not in the Blues zone when the 4 penguins regained the pucks and took it in to score. I think he's in the background somewhere.

Last edited:

member 290103

Off topic - but for all the “leaders and characters” the Canucks have tried bringing into the room, IMO, Miller was the best. Standing up for Stecher, spending some one on one time with Goldobin during his stint in the doghouse, etc...he was a good guy in the room and off the ice.

Very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad